Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warmbear

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2021
Has anyone tried to set a manual fan curve with fan off when idling, and only spin up fan above certain temperature? Is this possible with the fan control apps mentioned here?

Last edited:

sfoxy

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Has anyone tried to set a manual fan curve with fan off when idling, and only spin up fan above certain temperature? Is this possible with the fan control apps mentioned here?
Yes. I do it with TG Pro. I keep the fan at minimum unless the temp of CPU goes above 55C and then up to the 1320 speed. I also do the same if one of the GPU's goes over 55C. Have also set for higher speed if they go above 70, but never reached that, even after 20 minutes of Cinebench at 100% CPU.

sfoxy

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Slightly on a tangent, but related; anyone else notice how warm everything gets in sleep mode whilst the fans are off? Mine sleeps over night and when I come to it in the morning, the whole thing is warm to touch and when waking up, the temps of the power supply and CPU are all just above 50C, which is more than when actually awake. I have wake for network switched off, so it shouldn't't be doing anything when sleeping. Although I suppose it could be time machine?

Last edited:

warmbear

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2021
Yes. I do it with TG Pro. I keep the fan at minimum unless the temp of CPU goes above 55C and then up to the 1320 speed. I also do the same if one of the GPU's goes over 55C. Have also set for higher speed if they go above 70, but never reached that, even after 20 minutes of Cinebench at 100% CPU.
Is it possible to turn the fan completely off with TG Pro?

For your other post, maybe you can check system log to see if it actually went to sleep. There are some monitors that may prevent proper sleep.

sfoxy

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Is it possible to turn the fan completely off with TG Pro?

For your other post, maybe you can check system log to see if it actually went to sleep. There are some monitors that may prevent proper sleep.

No, TG Pro won’t let you go below the minimum the fan reports.

I will check the sleep, but the fans go off, so can only assume it is asleep.

Reactions: warmbear

Vaibye

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
Review from AppleInsider. Some are different from my experience, but overall I think it is the most accurate review

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
Hm, three ft away from my 12c Mac Pro 5,1 I get 32 db (via NIOSH SLM app) when idle. This is with the mike directed towards the back, where the air comes out. In the video they say the Studio Max is 37.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
Hm, three ft away from my 12c Mac Pro 5,1 I get 32 db (via NIOSH SLM app) when idle. This is with the mike directed towards the back, where the air comes out. In the video they say the Studio Max is 37.
if you read the article posted on research gate on the various iPhone SLM apps, they all read somewhat high when exposed to 25 dBA levels at 1 Khz, and the other evaluation bands.

LogicalVue

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
USA (Maine)
I owned the PowerMac G4 MDD, affectionately knows as "wind tunnel" because of the insanely loud PSU fans. I'm pretty sure it was loud enough to cause hearing loss. It was so bad, Apple even sent out replacement fans (for free), but it was still loud even after replacing them.

So I think I'll be immune to whatever noises the Mac Studio makes, but I'm glad I'm waiting a bit longer before I order one so that these kinks can be ironed out.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
What's with all these noise threads. Maybe it's the Ultra, but I haven't heard my fan come on once since release day, and under a lot of stress.

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
What's with all these noise threads.
I can tell you at least why I am so interested in it.

1. After 12 years of Mac Pro I would expect that not only the performance but also thermal/noise aspects have considerably improved.
2. The Mac Studio is supposed to sit on the desk (closer to me) in contrary to the Mac Pro which stands beneath it.
3. Quieter is always better, be it for writing or audio work under heavy load.

Jrshelby

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo, NY
There is a saying that people only go out of their way to complain but never go out of their way to mention the positives. I'm happy to report, with the help of my local Apple store, all of my Mac Studio griefs have been extinguished. I have an exchange unit (Base M1 Max which so far is much quieter even with the fans on). I also have a longer TB4 cable now(Turns out there is some question as to the generation of TB cord that ships with the Studio display) . It was somewhat exhausting because of many other details, but the bottom line is I'm happy I have received some resolutions. ?

Reactions: jido and Sharky II

macca24

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2020
What's with all these noise threads. Maybe it's the Ultra,but I haven't heard my fan come on once since release day, and under a lot of stress.
The fans are permanently on, if yours aren’t then either you have a problem or super quiet fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregvet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.