Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackjason

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Some may be interested in my sound levels, which don't actually vary that dramatically despite me not being happy with he constant whirr of the fans at Apple's minimum of 1320. I am only using an app on my iPhone, so theses aren't going to be terribly accurate, but at least give an idea of the differences. I used the NIOSH app.

So, 1m min front of the Mac Studio, my room measure 25.6dB maximum. From he same position with he fans at 1320, it is 27.1dB Max, so only a tiny increase. With fans at 1100, it is 25.8dB max, so pretty much the same as my room, and the reason I then cannot hear it much. So yes, there is less than 2dB difference from this distance, which on paper would certainly look like hardly anything. Yet, to my ears, it is difference enough - so all definitely subjective!

For info, holding the meter right up to the front of the Mac, the readings were 29.3dB max at 1100 and 33.8dB max at 1320 - so much more of a difference.

If anyone is interested, I can do some recordings with my Tascam portable recorder comparing room with different fan speeds
I experienced exactly the same.. I don't know what to do.. really want to keep the unit..

I am happy with 1100 speed, but 1300 drives my crazy..

how do you automatically adjust the fan back to higher speed when it's necessary?
Thanks!

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
They are shown in all the tear downs and apple even said so and pointed out the Ultra gets a upgraded copper 2 ib heavier CPU heat sync for said use case and I'm not off the rails. The last week has been extremely frustrating for me. I take that part personal. Apple support had me exchange mine, not because the fans were always on (which they educated me on why, as discussed up above), but because of the high pitch sound they were making.
This problem sounds like manufacture parts tolerance problems: Some parts come out made correctly, while others have too much variance causing buzzing / whistling. Could also be perfectly fine parts, but a poor installation.

I'm trading in my 2019 iMac 27" for apple credit but am on the fence now whether to get the Studio or a 16" MBP Max. The MBP is dead silent doing any non-intensive tasks, and many reviewers are showing that the speeds are the same or faster on the MBP.

I did buy a 14" MBP M1 Pro in February to replace an old MacBook Air and it blows away my old iMac in everything except a large panoramic merge in Lightroom. This is mostly due to only getting 16gb RAM. It's crazy even this computer is nearly the same speed at the Studio for most photography tasks. I may just keep this as my main computer until they work out the issues or something better comes along. This was my leaving on the coffee table everything computer - never thought it could become my main machine for a while.

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
You see, that is what is confusing me. When I set mine to be controlled by Apple, the fan speed is consistent no matter what the load. At idle it is 1320rpm and after 20 minutes of Cinebench with CPU at 100%, it is still 1320, with no difference in noise level. This points to there actually being a difference - and strange that if you look at my levels, there is a 4db difference between idle and load, exactly what I got between 1100 and 1320. It is a shame he doesn't mention the fan speeds!
That video and graph above tells nothing. He doesn't say how he loaded the Mac Studio or what the fan speeds were. I'm even wondering if he just ramped the fans with a fan control app instead of loading the CPU and GPU cores. I can't get the fans to go above 1350 from 1326 idle running Cinebench reporting 100% CPU as you did, or Blackmagic RAW 8K CPU or GPU benchmark, or any anything else I've tried, and the temperatures rises are so low I'm not surprised that the fans don't speed up.

Last edited:

sfoxy

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
I experienced exactly the same.. I don't know what to do.. really want to keep the unit..

I am happy with 1100 speed, but 1300 drives my crazy..

how do you automatically adjust the fan back to higher speed when it's necessary?
Thanks!

In TG Pro, you have to go into preferences and then to the Fan option. There, you have the tick the box to "Use Auto Boost instead of Auto Max". You may also need to install the fan helper if you haven't already. The you need to set some Auto Boost rules in the section above. You can delete what is already there and start again.

Add a rule and select 'All Fans' from he first column, then change the percentage, then elect 'Highest CPU' from the next drop down, and finally add a temperature. Then add another rule etc.

I am still experimenting, but based on the temps when running some high CPU and GPU tests, I currently have the CPU set to 1% when above 30C (this sets it to around 1130 RPM for most of the time during general use). Then I have 4% for over 50C which ramps up the speed ever so slightly if things get a bit warmer with the CPU - but to be honest I may get rid of this one! Then, the important one is 9% when over 55 - this one kicks it up to Apples 1320 (ish) when everything is under load. I actually also then have more set above that just in case e.g. 15% above 67C - but, it has never reached that even under load for 30 minutes!

I then also have a couple set for the GPU - so in the instructions above, instead of selecting 'Highest CPU' select one of the GPU clusters - I deleted the first on the list as that is the one that seemed to get a bit hotter for me. I have 2 main rules set - 9% for over 55C and 12% for over 59C. Again, with apples speed I never went above 58, so the 12% is just incase. There is no need to set any lower speed.

I also have a couple of safety nets just in case - I have one set to 70% for Any sensor over 85C and one to 100% for any sensor over 95C. Oh, and a Power supply one set to 50% over 70C - again just incase!

The one thing to say here, is that I am in the UK and it is spring, so temps are still not that warm - I may have to revisit things when things start getting warmer. But basically, just run the fans at Auto and see where the temps stand at idle and then under load and adjust the 'above' temp as needed.

So currently, unless I use my one app that uses 100% CPU for about 5 minutes when exporting, the fan runs at around 1100 and then pops up to 1300 for that. Seems to work very well. Currently, typing this with the fan at 1100, max CPU at 37C and Power supply at 32C. So, I really do wonder why on earth Apple feel the need to set their minimum to 1300!

EDIT: I realised a screenshot of my setting would probably have been easier! :)
Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 10.10.35.png

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
In about a week of using the machine under normal circumstances, where I'm on calls, there's stuff going on in the background, I have music on etc, I never hear the fans. Occasionally, when things go quiet, I'll hear a noise and realise its the fans from the Studio, but I can live with that.

I'm still hopeful that they change the idling speed of these fans in a future software update as I don't think they need to be that speed given the typical temperatures we're seeing.

jackjason

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
In TG Pro, you have to go into preferences and then to the Fan option. There, you have the tick the box to "Use Auto Boost instead of Auto Max". You may also need to install the fan helper if you haven't already. The you need to set some Auto Boost rules in the section above. You can delete what is already there and start again.

Add a rule and select 'All Fans' from he first column, then change the percentage, then elect 'Highest CPU' from the next drop down, and finally add a temperature. Then add another rule etc.

I am still experimenting, but based on the temps when running some high CPU and GPU tests, I currently have the CPU set to 1% when above 30C (this sets it to around 1130 RPM for most of the time during general use). Then I have 4% for over 50C which ramps up the speed ever so slightly if things get a bit warmer with the CPU - but to be honest I may get rid of this one! Then, the important one is 9% when over 55 - this one kicks it up to Apples 1320 (ish) when everything is under load. I actually also then have more set above that just in case e.g. 15% above 67C - but, it has never reached that even under load for 30 minutes!

I then also have a couple set for the GPU - so in the instructions above, instead of selecting 'Highest CPU' select one of the GPU clusters - I deleted the first on the list as that is the one that seemed to get a bit hotter for me. I have 2 main rules set - 9% for over 55C and 12% for over 59C. Again, with apples speed I never went above 58, so the 12% is just incase. There is no need to set any lower speed.

I also have a couple of safety nets just in case - I have one set to 70% for Any sensor over 85C and one to 100% for any sensor over 95C. Oh, and a Power supply one set to 50% over 70C - again just incase!

The one thing to say here, is that I am in the UK and it is spring, so temps are still not that warm - I may have to revisit things when things start getting warmer. But basically, just run the fans at Auto and see where the temps stand at idle and then under load and adjust the 'above' temp as needed.

So currently, unless I use my one app that uses 100% CPU for about 5 minutes when exporting, the fan runs at around 1100 and then pops up to 1300 for that. Seems to work very well. Currently, typing this with the fan at 1100, max CPU at 37C and Power supply at 32C. So, I really do wonder why on earth Apple feel the need to set their minimum to 1300!

EDIT: I realised a screenshot of my setting would probably have been easier! :)
View attachment 1980434
Thank you!

wind2022

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2022
The noise issue with Mac Studio Max is not the constant wind noise from the fan, which is bearable — but it has constant high pitch overtone that is very annoying and audible 8ft from the device.

I can stand my Macbook Pro fan blasting 5000+ rpm fan noise, but not this high pitch noise.

Here are some recording of Mac Studio Max (base model):
(note: the volume of the recording is a bit low, so you need to increase your speaker volume to hear it)

Last edited:

Grilled Cheese

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2021
The noise issue with Mac Studio Max is not the constant wind noise from the fan, which is bearable — but it has constant high pitch overtone that is very annoying and audible 8ft from the device.

I can stand my Macbook Pro fan blasting 5000+ rpm fan noise, but not this high pitch noise.

Here are some recording of Mac Studio Max (base model)

Yep. In my soundproof music studio that would drive me I N S A N E.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004

Here are some recording of Mac Studio Max (base model)

I am retired and old and I can't here the high pitch noise of this video on my Mac Pro 5,1.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

(note: the volume of the recording is a bit low, so you need to increase your speaker volume to hear it)

Return for new replacement unit (don't let them try and deal you an openbox or refurb... if they even exist yet).

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

Just listened with headphones on max volume. That wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, it's relaxing white noise - almost like you're in an airplane cabin but not nearly as loud). But the fact that you had to hold the mic right up to the fans (where your head isn't going to be while using the computer) and we have to max out volume sliders to properly hear it is sort of telling don't you think?

Reactions: Homy and m1maverick

LurkingWithANametag

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
I received mine yesterday in the Northeast US. It was made in Malaysia.

After reading so much about the fan noise, I was shocked by how quiet the system is. That said, when it is completely silent in my office, I do hear a soft but high-pitched tone. It’s a bit annoying.

I did find that with the Studio positioned just under the Display to my left, I can only hear it out of my left ear. If I turn my head to face the Studio directly, I can’t hear it at all. The same is true if I turn my head so that I’m looking over my right shoulder — I can’t hear it. I only hear it when my head (ear) is at a certain angle to the Studio.

I might play around with putting the Studio directly in front of me (behind the display?) or keep it off to the left but behind some desk decor (a picture frame?).

Reactions: ggeoffre

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA
I am retired and old and I can't here the high pitch noise of this video on my Mac Pro 5,1.
You are probably near normal.
I listened with an SPL Phonitor xe headphone amp and Sony IER-Z1R in ear monitors.
Also tried it on a McIntosh speaker system and a Naim system...
Admittedly mid range stuff by some standards but more than most use.
You have to turn the volume up beyond what in normal playback would blow your ears out for good.
Bet the mic gain was turned up when the recording was made as well.
That said, this video has a whine like the fan blades may be just contacting the housing. A few hours use and this machine will be a nice tight keeper. Certainly some honest use before a return decision should be in order.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
I listened with an SPL Phonitor xe headphone amp and Sony IER-Z1R in ear monitors.
You have to turn the volume up beyond what in normal playback would blow your ears out for good.
That said, this video has a whine like the fan blades may be just contacting the housing. A few hours use and this machine will be a nice tight keeper. Certainly some honest use before a return decision should be in order.
I wonder how many of these will become quieter as parts wear in. I recall a lot of posts about "coil whine" with the 2018 Mac Mini. I wonder if any of those units became quieter.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
My base M1 Max has that slight high pitched sound as well. The fans are quiet, but I hear that high pitched sound.

I have been having issues with the USB-C to DP cable with flickering like in the other long thread, so I am running it on HDMI. I was wondering if there was still a slight flicker that I can't see because after like 10 minutes of using the machine I start getting a headache and a little sick to my stomach.

But now I am wondering if it is actually the high pitched sound doing it to me and not the screen.

I have a nice gaming PC, and I got the Mac Studio just because I wanted to mess around with a Mac again and maybe just switch over permanently, but between the display issues, and the high pitched sound, I am starting to wonder if I should just return it. I don't want to deal with headaches every time I use this thing.

Reactions: greenbreadmmm

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
The hot tub in my backyard about 30 feet from my window is louder than my Studio when the filter is running.

Reactions: LLW902

wind2022

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2022
Just listened with headphones on max volume. That wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, it's relaxing white noise - almost like you're in an airplane cabin but not nearly as loud). But the fact that you had to hold the mic right up to the fans (where your head isn't going to be while using the computer) and we have to max out volume sliders to properly hear it is sort of telling don't you think?
The fan white noise is not a problem at all, the issue is the high pitch. Of course the real-life noise volume is not as loud as what you hear when you max out your own speakers volume. The recording is just to show how the high pitch sounds like. In reality, the high pitch is audible from where I sit, or even from 8ft away. My room is pretty quiet though, so YMMV.

Good for some people that couldn't hear it :)

wind2022

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2022
I recorded it with my iPhone, so no adjustment on any mic gain. The recording volume is actually pretty low, that's why you need to increase your own speaker volume to hear it. But anyway, hearing is subjective, so it's good for folks that couldn't hear the high pitch.

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I have a nice gaming PC, and I got the Mac Studio just because I wanted to mess around with a Mac again and maybe just switch over permanently, but between the display issues, and the high pitched sound, I am starting to wonder if I should just return it. I don't want to deal with headaches every time I use this thing.
I know this feeling all too well. In the past when stuff like this happens, I just return everything and go back to what I was using before. Unless you need this machine for work or business, I think a lot of people will be in the same boat and return it.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2007
My base M1 Max has that slight high pitched sound as well. The fans are quiet, but I hear that high pitched sound.

I have been having issues with the USB-C to DP cable with flickering like in the other long thread, so I am running it on HDMI. I was wondering if there was still a slight flicker that I can't see because after like 10 minutes of using the machine I start getting a headache and a little sick to my stomach.

But now I am wondering if it is actually the high pitched sound doing it to me and not the screen.

Is this your first Mac with Big Sur or Monterey?

The way Big Sur onwards handles color/dithering/something, is causing people eye strain. If you already had the OS prior, ignore, but wanted to mention.

I upgraded my 2017 iMac to Big Sur last fall and got immediate eye strain.(not something I was expecting) Tried to get use to it and downgraded by to Catalina. Zero issues! (then looked it up and found others) Actually kinda nervous about my studio causing same woes when it delivers in April.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
@ Jamooche

Yes I think I am going to return it. I don't like having to take Advil every day.

Also, I have been toggling between the Studio and my PC. This morning I was using the PC for awhile, then unhooked it and plugged in the MAC. Not more than 10 minutes later I started to feel a headache coming on. I don't know whether it's the screen or the high pitched sound doing it to me.

@ greenbreadmmm

I originally had an old iMAC 2009 I used for years, but haven't used it for many years. I don't remember the last OS version I had on it, but I know it as way before Big Sur, so I can't remember how the fonts looked on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.