Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Yes, it's 3500 on the M1 Studio (on my Ultra at least).

I'm telling you guys... I'd bet they just lowered the fan speed and made it ramp up when it needs to (as you would've expected the M1 version to).

It costs a lot of money in R&D to redesign electronics and fans etc... they lowered the fans and called it a day. I bet they won't do anything about the M1 Studios.

Reactions: foliovision

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
The Max RPM of the fan is 3500. Is that the same as the M1 Studio? I'm guessing that number might be lower if the fans are beefier.
Yes, that's the max on my Ultra. I wonder if they've just reduced the default fan speed and tweaked the curve. I never hear mine ramp up at all, even if I'm gaming (which pushes the GPU to max). Yes, some people game with their Studio :D

Reactions: b17777

Ismelito

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2008
I've mentioned this on the 2023 Mac Studio thread, but this thread is probably more appropriate as the model that I have is the M1 Max Mac Studio with 1TB SSD. In my case, I don't have any whine (I've only had my Mac for two weeks), but I do have the crackling/rattling noise coming from the SSD as described here, and it's quite noticeable when everything is quiet in the room where I have the Mac:

I can hear that noise with very simple actions such as scrolling through a page, opening files, clicking links... And of course, the quickest way to trigger the noise is by running a disk speed test (using the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test for example)... every time it tries to write/read (especially writing) it makes that noise as if there was an actual old HDD drive instead of an SSD.

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
I've mentioned this on the 2023 Mac Studio thread, but this thread is probably more appropriate as the model that I have is the M1 Max Mac Studio with 1TB SSD. In my case, I don't have any whine (I've only had my Mac for two weeks), but I do have the crackling/rattling noise coming from the SSD as described here, and it's quite noticeable when everything is quiet in the room where I have the Mac:

I can hear that noise with very simple actions such as scrolling through a page, opening files, clicking links... And of course, the quickest way to trigger the noise is by running a disk speed test (using the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test for example)... every time it tries to write/read (especially writing) it makes that noise as if there was an actual old HDD drive instead of an SSD.
I don't think this kind of noise has been reported before for the Mac Studio. Also, though I could be wrong, I think the newer MacBooks use the same SSDs. People have not to my knowledge reported this noise for their MacBooks. Are you still within the 14 day return window? If yes, then consider returning it. I don't think this is acceptable despite the many comments on that video calling it "normal."

whcvip

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Just wondering if there is any news here, just got a good deal on a M1 Max Studio 2TB version, should be here som time next week. But now am getting second thoughts. Coming from a dual Windows setup, a NUC 12 Pro for power efficiency for everyday tasks, and a more powerful Mini ITX build for more demanding tasks. Tired of the the constant ramping fan noise up/down of my NUC, and my Mini ITX build while very quite, the semi passive PSU fan after a while turns on and just stays on, it is right in my left ear, not whining, but just constant fan noise.

Anyways long store short, just wanting a Studio to replace both, efficient enough to do daily tasks, and powerfull enough for video/photo work. But am very sensitive to whine idle noise, no so much when pushing the system, but if a constant whine exist just idling, it would be a deal breaker for me.

Have there been a firmware/software from Apple fixing the potential noise/fan speed of the M1 series Mac Studio, or should I go for the M2 or wait for the M3. The M1 series is just to good value now.

Last edited:

Fenderborn

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2022
Just wondering if there is any news here, just got a good deal on a M1 Max Studio 2TB version, should be here som time next week. But now am getting second thoughts. Coming from a dual Windows setup, a NUC 12 Pro for power efficiency for everyday tasks, and a more powerfull Mini ITX build for more demanding tasks. Tired the constant ramping fan noise up/down of my NUC, and my Mini ITX build while very quite, the semi passive PSU fan after a while turns on and just stays on, it is right in my left ear, not whining, but just constant fan noise.

Anyways long store short, just wanting a Studio to replace both, efficient enough to do daily tasks, and powerfull enough for video/photo work. But am very sensitive to whine idle noise, no so much when pushing the system, but if a constant whine exist just idle it would be a deal breaker for me.

Have there been a firmware/software from Apple fixing the potential noise/fan speed of the M1 series Mac Studio, or should I go for the M2 or wait for the M3. The M1 series is just to good value now.
Sorry. But in my case there is now software fix till now. I only have tgpro3 software to control fan speed. Which helps with noise.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Just wondering if there is any news here, just got a good deal on a M1 Max Studio 2TB version, should be here som time next week. But now am getting second thoughts. Coming from a dual Windows setup, a NUC 12 Pro for power efficiency for everyday tasks, and a more powerful Mini ITX build for more demanding tasks. Tired the constant ramping fan noise up/down of my NUC, and my Mini ITX build while very quite, the semi passive PSU fan after a while turns on and just stays on, it is right in my left ear, not whining, but just constant fan noise.

Anyways long store short, just wanting a Studio to replace both, efficient enough to do daily tasks, and powerfull enough for video/photo work. But am very sensitive to whine idle noise, no so much when pushing the system, but if a constant whine exist just idling, it would be a deal breaker for me.

I don't doubt some people had issues with the M1 Studio Max fan. I have only had once the fan rev up enough to be noticeable. This was due to a bad actor app. For the many months I have had my Max M1 it has behaved well. My build was 64 RAM / 1 TB drive. Perhaps you should get it and run it through its paces to see if it is an issue and if so, return it.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Mine sits like 70cm from my face on my desk and I can not hear it at all. My NAS up on a shelf other side of room is waaaay louder (and also pretty quiet).

Reactions: phrehdd

whcvip

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Yeah seems like it is "only" 1/3 Studio that have this issue (still quite allot), it is so easy to hear about an issue, then google, and find several that are reporting this issue (especially Apple "issues" can quickly blown out of proportion). Wondering how many Studio Apple have sold, and out of them how many have the "whine" issue.

Anyways, will just test it when I get it next week, can always send it back. exited getting back into Apple desktop computers. And will get a much cleaner setup. But man just don't want to deal with software, changing fan curves and so on, that is a PC thing, Mac IMO should just be plug and play, and you forget it is there (noise wise).

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Just wondering if there is any news here, just got a good deal on a M1 Max Studio 2TB version, should be here som time next week. But now am getting second thoughts. Coming from a dual Windows setup, a NUC 12 Pro for power efficiency for everyday tasks, and a more powerful Mini ITX build for more demanding tasks. Tired of the the constant ramping fan noise up/down of my NUC, and my Mini ITX build while very quite, the semi passive PSU fan after a while turns on and just stays on, it is right in my left ear, not whining, but just constant fan noise.

Bought my base M1 Studio in April and after 6 months and heavy 4K gaming (Tomb Raider Trilogy, Metro Trilogy, Bioshock Trilogy) I can’t hear the fans or any whining about 90 cm from my ears. The computer doesn’t break a sweat and is cool as a cat.

Last edited:

eddie_ducking

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2021
I'm not too bothered by fan noise, but a wine would annoy me ... I won't say mine is silent when pushed, but it's not noisy ... 1/10th of the noise of my old Mac Pro and there's no wine

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You could hear only M1/2 Ultra under really heavy load. Not in lighter tasks, not on M1/2 Max.
Not true, my M1 Ultra whined like crazy the second I turned on the device. And it was a permanent 100% whine. Even if the system was doing nothing. I went through 5 of them via returns. It was so bad I almost got rid of it for the overpriced Mac Pro but luckily the M2 Ultra doesn't have this issue.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
been using base model studio m1 for almost a year. if i put my head up to the back of the studio at 2 am when my apartment building is completely silent i hear a tiny whistle but in normal sitting position, under normal use, i dont hear anything. plus i dont work in complete silence anyway

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Not true, my M1 Ultra whined like crazy the second I turned on the device. And it was a permanent 100% whine. Even if the system was doing nothing. I went through 5 of them via returns. It was so bad I almost got rid of it for the overpriced Mac Pro but luckily the M2 Ultra doesn't have this issue.
Did you try plugging it into a better power source like a UPS with “clean” power?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Had my M1 Max since launch day. Was silent then, and still is.
97 pages in, here's a thought I don't think has been raised before: could the fault be limited to (some) machines used only on a certain line-voltage or frequency? I'm not scanning through 96 previous pages to see if any other 240V/50Hz users have had problems, I just know I haven't, and one way or another there must be a pattern.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
As said a few times previously - there are at least two different PSUs in the M1 Mac Studios, and probably a third PSU in the M2 Mac Studios. Air moving around parts can create whistling sounds, and I believe this is what we are dealing with here. Different PSUs creating different airflows internally…

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
LOL, are you guys still lamenting over a non-issue that 99.9% of users never even noticed? Is this a snowflake generation syndrome? We are still in the computer era where most desktop CPU devices require fans. And in any normal office room a Mac Studio Max is the least of your concern regarding a noisy surrounding. The Ultra can hardly be much different.

Reactions: b17777

MarckyG

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
Had my M1 Max since launch day. Was silent then, and still is.
97 pages in, here's a thought I don't think has been raised before: could the fault be limited to (some) machines used only on a certain line-voltage or frequency? I'm not scanning through 96 previous pages to see if any other 240V/50Hz users have had problems, I just know I haven't, and one way or another there must be a pattern.
I scanned through a bunch LOL
And initially I thought ONLY 240V/50Hz users like me had that problem. But that was debunked.
Not related to that it seems.

As said a few times previously - there are at least two different PSUs in the M1 Mac Studios, and probably a third PSU in the M2 Mac Studios. Air moving around parts can create whistling sounds, and I believe this is what we are dealing with here. Different PSUs creating different airflows internally…
Definitely seemed like that... But some just can't play the PSU lottery. Bummer. For an office and studio with several people present this should be no problem at all. Just to some people with a quiet environment and sensitive hearing.

LOL, are you guys still lamenting over a non-issue that 99.9% of users never even noticed? Is this a snowflake generation syndrome? We are still in the computer era where most desktop CPU devices require fans. And in any normal office room a Mac Studio Max is the least of your concern regarding a noisy surrounding. The Ultra can hardly be much different.
Yeah, LOLing and calling it a non-issue doesn't really help. We hold these machines to high standards regarding their price. But you perfectly demonstrated it: In a normal office where the Mac Studio is the least of your concerns regarding your noisy surrounding it is absolutely no issue. But not everyone is like you, not everyone has your use case. Some people have these machines in relatively soundproof enviroments, quiet studios that work with audio, plus some people have sensitive hearing in these studios... and voila, can drive people crazy. I think you misunderstood and are talking about the fan noise. The fan is totally fine, it is another high pitched whirring that some component produces. Or as Killerbob said, maybe a combo of the PSU and air movement.
Nevertheless, it is not a huge problem, which is why it was unchanged from M1 to M2, but it is a problem to some.

filmboy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, new M2 users reported on this forum that the fan rpm had been lowered on their second gen Mac Studios and hence had no discernible noise be it a whine, an airy whoosh, or any other disagreeable sounds. I have a first gen M1 Mac Studio that is 99% quiet. And I made it even quieter by way of attaching a 1-inch piece of gaffer tape over the left-rear exhaust holes (when facing the unit from behind). In fact, it's so quiet, that the fan from my OWC 4M2 SSD enclosure was unacceptably loud by comparison. Fortunately, OWC sent me their latest fan as a replacement, which happened to run at a lower rpm. So now my 4M2 emits a very low whir--which btw, is still louder than my Mac Studio. But at least it's not unpleasant.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Haha… I see you just managed to contribute with a different kind of fan-noise 😂😂😂 Apple-fan-boy-noise 😉

The problem is real. Even though it only affects people who have been unlucky enough to get a unit that creates the noise AND also use the Mac for something where noise will be an issue.

I don’t know how you concluded that it’s only 0.1% of users. But if I had spent +2000 on a Mac STUDIO that had a constant audible noise in my recording STUDIO I would also be complaining. My intel iMac is silent unless it’s doing video compression or other heavy stuff. Why shouldn’t the Mac Studio not also be that?

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
Haha… I see you just managed to contribute with a different kind of fan-noise 😂😂😂 Apple-fan-boy-noise 😉

The problem is real. Even though it only affects people who have been unlucky enough to get a unit that creates the noise AND also use the Mac for something where noise will be an issue.

I don’t know how you concluded that it’s only 0.1% of users. But if I had spent +2000 on a Mac STUDIO that had a constant audible noise in my recording STUDIO I would also be complaining. My intel iMac is silent unless it’s doing video compression or other heavy stuff. Why shouldn’t the Mac Studio not also be that?
Unlike you, I DID spend my money on one and it is silent.

Reactions: mr_jomo and GlenK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.