Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whcvip

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Received my M1 Max base with 2TB SSD today, and defiantly hear the machine, it is about 40cm away from my ear, and hear not only fans, but a slight "humm", sounds like the bearing of the fans making some noise, or coil whine. Still not as "loud" as my mini ITX build or my Intel NUC 12 Pro, so it is a step in the right directions, but still of an Apple product, I am a little disappointed.

After so many review, where like 90% of them says it is completely silent, would have thought something was wrong with mine, but glad i found this thread, just to prepare me for this. And noise is so subjective, it is really hard to base it on others experiences.

The noise is not terrible, and still don't know the final placement for the studio, maybe further away, under the desk, or behind the monitor, so for now just trying to use the system and see if I can forget the sound, not sure it is enough for me to return the unit, since I got it at a good price, and would have to pay more for the M2 version with 512GB SSD.

Anyways, other than fan noise, like the small formfactor, and have not had a desktop Mac in several years now, so looking forward also dipping my toes into Final Cut Pro again, not going to replace my RTX 4090 Desktop build, but something in between my MacBook and room heater of a PC, it is very nice for everyday use :).

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Received my M1 Max base with 2TB SSD today, and defiantly hear the machine, it is about 40cm away from my ear, and hear not only fans, but a slight "humm", sounds like the bearing of the fans making some noise, or coil whine. Still not as "loud" as my mini ITX build or my Intel NUC 12 Pro, so it is a step in the right directions, but still of an Apple product, I am a little disappointed.

After so many review, where like 90% of them says it is completely silent, would have thought something was wrong with mine, but glad i found this thread, just to prepare me for this. And noise is so subjective, it is really hard to base it on others experiences.

The noise is not terrible, and still don't know the final placement for the studio, maybe further away, under the desk, or behind the monitor, so for now just trying to use the system and see if I can forget the sound, not sure it is enough for me to return the unit, since I got it at a good price, and would have to pay more for the M2 version with 512GB SSD.

Anyways, other than fan noise, like the small formfactor, and have not had a desktop Mac in several years now, so looking forward also dipping my toes into Final Cut Pro again, not going to replace my RTX 4090 Desktop build, but something in between my MacBook and room heater of a PC, it is very nice for everyday use :).

40 cm? Are you holding it in your arms? 😉

Fenderborn

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2022
Yeah seems like it is "only" 1/3 Studio that have this issue (still quite allot), it is so easy to hear about an issue, then google, and find several that are reporting this issue (especially Apple "issues" can quickly blown out of proportion). Wondering how many Studio Apple have sold, and out of them how many have the "whine" issue.

Anyways, will just test it when I get it next week, can always send it back. exited getting back into Apple desktop computers. And will get a much cleaner setup. But man just don't want to deal with software, changing fan curves and so on, that is a PC thing, Mac IMO should just be plug and play, and you forget it is there (noise wise).
So true. Apple agreed to take mine back and give me a new one. Same ****. Then we bought 12 other studios 8 months later, all with the same problem.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.