Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I've been monitoring the battery values pretty closely for the last few weeks since I'm still trying to understand the optimized battery charging algorithm. Because of this close monitoring I've seen the rapid battery drain several times while on the charger so I recognized what was happening even though I was on battery power. The battery drains at over 12 Watts until it reaches about 80% (ioreg values not macOS reported battery levels.)

What I'm beginning to understand is that OBC has a couple of modes. For my previous use it was about maintaining the battery level at 80% because my MacBook was rarely off the charger but now it is once back on battery, charge to 100% then drain back to 80% after a few hours if the algorithm thinks that the MacBook is going to remain on the charger. So far, the OBC algorithm is still confused by weekdays vs weekends.
I have been in the same situation as you, because I usually have my 14" 90% of the time connected to the charger, only when I'm outside of the office (at home) do I don't have it connected.

ceevee

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
I ran into this issue and resolved it with this poster's suggestion on my M1 MacBook Air: #26
A few notes:
  • Restart is needed after commands are executed
  • -b (battery) works, but after I charged my MacBook and disconnected, it reverted to previous battery drain. So -a (all) is needed
  • Changing Find My Mac settings after I already executed the commands caused issues to come back. So configure Find My Mac before changing System Preferences and executing the commands.
  • A negative is that Find My Mac will not work in sleep mode anymore. It will still work if the MacBook is not sleeping.
  • Both the commands and the changes in System Preferences are needed in my experience to avoid wake issues.

Last edited:

drbuckles

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2022
I registered on this forum just to add that unchecking "wake for network access" completely sorted my m1 battery drain issue, so thanks to those who recommended to do this. Before unchecking it, I was losing around 10% overnight. and now nothing 😁

1654806072583.png

Reactions: bobcomer

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
I have Battery Drain on my MacBook Pro 13 M1... how can I check the logs if it's something with hibernate or sleep mode on off? Is there any command to see what's running in the background because activity Monitor seems normal for me

aazarii

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2024
any update on this?
My MacBook drains very fast when i shut it down or put it to sleep
I disabled wifi, Bluetooth, shut down (not sleep) and it loses 5-10% overnight!
have disabled Siri, powernap, tcpkeelalive and Screentime. NO CHANGE!
I'm on cycle 169 and 85% health with 13-14 month usage! have always tried to use the Mac nice
PLEASE HELP

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I disabled wifi, Bluetooth, shut down (not sleep) and it loses 5-10% overnight!
I don't know what's normal. But it'll last at least a week at that rate. Are you not using the computer more than that, where you'll plug it in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.