Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

what do you expect the 14" mbp price to be like?

• 1799 like mbp 13 intel

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • 1999 since its gonna be more powerful ,perhaps even on par with the 16"

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • 1799$/2129ā‚¬ as it'll replace intel mbp 13"

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • 1999$/2400ā‚¬ since it's gonna be on par with mbp 16 in terms of perfs/chip

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
i really wanted to get a 14" mbp ,mainly bcz of the sweet mini-led display ,but if the price gets as high as 2k ,i wont get it i think,as it'll most likely mean 2400 euros for us europeans , which is 2800$ ...just too much

sorry for the stupid poll choices,i couldnt find a way to edit/remove those which were the same,and neither could i delete the whole post...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Bear

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
I'm voting $1999 because the chip shortage and more expensive screen will increase the price. I don't think they'll raise the price "because it's more powerful." They didn't do this with the M1 Macs last fall.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
With the introduction of the 16" MacBook Pro (which also came with several other improvements beyond just the larger screen), Apple kept the price the same as the outgoing 15". The M1 MacBook Air and 13" Pro also kept the same price as their outgoing Intel models. The M1 iMac with a larger higher resolution screen and brand new design also kept its same price. Also remember there are 2 M1X chips. Jade-C Chop is the smaller chip that has 16 GPU cores and Jade-C Die is the full size chip with 32 GPU cores. CPU is expected to be the same for both chips. As with the M1 and A15, Apple will most likely sell binned chips for a lower cost (M1 with 7 GPU cores / A15 with 4 GPU cores). So with that in mind, here's my guess:

* $1799 for the 14" with binned 12 core GPU and 512gb SSD

* $1999 for the 14" with full 16 core GPU (and maybe 1tb SSD)

* At a later date $1499 14" with M2 and full 10 core GPU ( just as the M1 13" Pro gets the full 8 core GPU by default)

For the 16" I'm assuming it will use the Jade-C Die version of the M1X which would make sense considering the 16" will have extra thermal headroom, larger battery, more pixels to push and the 16" generally separates itself from the 13" by its superior GPU performance. However, just as with the 16 core Jade-C Chop chip, I expect Apple will use binned chips for the entry models. So here's my guess:

* $2399 for the 16" with binned 24 core GPU and 512gb SSD

* $2799 for the 16" with full 32 core GPU and 1tb SSD

Hopefully we will find out next month but those are my guesses.

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
For the Mac, Apple prices by what I'll call "product slot". It knows there's a certain sweet spot for the pricing for each product slot, and when it upgrades the tech it tries to keep that pricing constant (for equivalent RAM and SSD size) to maintain sales. Thus I'm going to predict the starting price of the 14" MBP will be $1799, because it's taking over the product slot from the 13" Intel MBP, and thus will have the same starting price.

Here are some past examples:

Last Intel MBA, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD: $999
New M1 MBA, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD: $999

Starting price of last high-end 15" MPB (2018): $2799
Starting price of current high-end 16" MBP (2021): $2799

Last 15" MBP, maxed out (2018): $6699*
Current 16" MBP, maxed out: $6699

[The last pair may be a coincidence since, even though they're both maxed out, it's in different ways; but it's amusing/interesting nonetheless that the pricing worked out the same.]

Last edited:
Reactions: terminator-jq

bosozoku

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Tokyo
So, it seems like I am getting base M1 Air... even 1500 ssd is too much for me, not saying 1800...

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
With the introduction of the 16" MacBook Pro (which also came with several other improvements beyond just the larger screen), Apple kept the price the same as the outgoing 15". The M1 MacBook Air and 13" Pro also kept the same price as their outgoing Intel models. The M1 iMac with a larger higher resolution screen and brand new design also kept its same price. Also remember there are 2 M1X chips. Jade-C Chop is the smaller chip that has 16 GPU cores and Jade-C Die is the full size chip with 32 GPU cores. CPU is expected to be the same for both chips. As with the M1 and A15, Apple will most likely sell binned chips for a lower cost (M1 with 7 GPU cores / A15 with 4 GPU cores). So with that in mind, here's my guess:

* At a later date $1499 14" with M2 and full 10 core GPU ( just as the M1 13" Pro gets the full 8 core GPU by default)

For the 16" I'm assuming it will use the Jade-C Die version of the M1X which would make sense considering the 16" will have extra thermal headroom, larger battery, more pixels to push and the 16" generally separates itself from the 13" by its superior GPU performance. However, just as with the 16 core Jade-C Chop chip, I expect Apple will use binned chips for the entry models. So here's my guess:

This is almost exactly what I think too. I donā€™t think Apple is going to raise prices.
I'm voting $1999 because the chip shortage and more expensive screen will increase the price. I don't think they'll raise the price "because it's more powerful." They didn't do this with the M1 Macs last fall.
Apple doesnā€™t price their products because of component costs. Sure this obviously goes into it. But they price what they feel the market can handle, and what is smart for the company as a whole. Apple at the moment wants as many customers to adopt Apple silicon as possible, so it would be in their best interest to keep prices the same. I would wager component costs for the miniLED and chip shortages would be more than made up for by using their own chips.

Reactions: Vazor

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021

Very interesting

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
This is almost exactly what I think too. I donā€™t think Apple is going to raise prices.

Apple doesnā€™t price their products because of component costs. Sure this obviously goes into it. But they price what they feel the market can handle, and what is smart for the company as a whole. Apple at the moment wants as many customers to adopt Apple silicon as possible, so it would be in their best interest to keep prices the same. I would wager component costs for the miniLED and chip shortages would be more than made up for by using their own chips.
Based on that,don't u think that the market would highly benefit from a powerful 14" portable laptop? If the answer is yes,what refrains them from bumping the price up ,rly?

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Based on that,don't u think that the market would highly benefit from a powerful 14" portable laptop? If the answer is yes,what refrains them from bumping the price up ,rly?
I don't think they plan to bump up the price because they didn't for M1 devices. They wanted to show that Apple Silicon is simply faster, without being more expensive. Apple Silicon is actually much cheaper to manufacture than buying chips from Intel.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if they did bump up the price because of the shortage in the supply chain.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
M1 did the heavy lifting in terms of marketing and product awareness. Apple bought a lot of free publicity with M1.

M1X makes it clear to everyone, if you want the most powerful processor in a computer, you have to buy a Mac. There is nothing stopping Apple from increasing prices and margins. They are at the top.

With iPhone 12, Apple removed the EarPods and charger due to costly 5G components. The current chip shortage will affect MacBook Pro the same way. There is nothing Apple can remove from the box this time, so theyā€™ll pull the price lever.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Itā€™s not what the market would benefit from. Itā€™s what the market can handle = meaning what are people willing to pay. There is a threshold and Apple already rides that line heavily. There isnā€™t a massive demand (yet) for Apple silicon. Donā€™t be fooled by the YouTubers and forums. We all have a major bias towards Apple, but m1 hasnā€™t even been out for a full year yet. While many of us here on these forums are eager, the world at large is more apprehensive and uncertain about Apple silicon. It will take Apple a few years to prove to the market at large that their notebooks can compete, sustain, and/or beat out the competition. When thatā€™s clear to the average consumer they could raise prices (or just enjoy higher profits because more people buy your product). But again, Thereā€™s only so high you can go before people just donā€™t buy your product. Apple rides that line closely.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
M1X makes it clear to everyone, if you want the most powerful processor in a computer, you have to buy a Mac. There is nothing stopping Apple from increasing prices and margins. They are at the top.
Apple can make an M1 chip for under $100. Intel i3 chips (Apple uses higher grade) start at $200 - $300.

This means Apple can increase its margins while keeping the same price. This is a big reason why the M1 Macs did not cost more than the computers they replaced.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I think they will 'increase prices', in air quotes, because I think the 14" will be something new, taking a slot that Apple haven't had before. I don't think Apple have ever put a CPU similar to the 15"/16" into the 13" shell, always been a couple of cores less. Also, I don't think the 13" has ever had a discrete GPU. (The M1X technically won't have a discrete GPU, but it might as well be given honorary dGPU status)

As the 14" rumours seem to place it as more of a smaller 16", I don't think it will be aimed as a replacement for the current M1 13". As it will be a significantly more capable machine, I would expect it to be more, although I believe less than the current 16". The M1 13" MBP I expect to remain, until replaced by 'M2', or whatever it is to be called.

I'm liking the symmetry of a future lineup which consists of:
12" and 14" M2/M3 MacBook (basically an MBA with a different name)
14" and 16" M1X/M2X/M3X MacBook Pro

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Itā€™s not what the market would benefit from. Itā€™s what the market can handle = meaning what are people willing to pay. There is a threshold and Apple already rides that line heavily. There isnā€™t a massive demand (yet) for Apple silicon. Donā€™t be fooled by the YouTubers and forums. We all have a major bias towards Apple, but m1 hasnā€™t even been out for a full year yet. While many of us here on these forums are eager, the world at large is more apprehensive and uncertain about Apple silicon. It will take Apple a few years to prove to the market at large that their notebooks can compete, sustain, and/or beat out the competition. When thatā€™s clear to the average consumer they could raise prices (or just enjoy higher profits because more people buy your product). But again, Thereā€™s only so high you can go before people just donā€™t buy your product. Apple rides that line closely.
I will say that it won't take years to prove to the market that Apple Silicon can compete, sustain, beat out the competition.

I think people are already sold based on the M1 and many years of iPhone SoCs.

What Apple needs to do now to convince people to switch to Macs en mass is the following:

1. Release a Macbook SE at $750 or less.
2. Push AAA gaming on the Mac

Starting price & gaming are the two major reasons people stay with Windows over MacOS.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I think there's going to be a price increase from the 4-port 13" MBP. But also think they'd like to keep it under $2k... so maybe $1899 starting? Apple does have a history of raising the price on new, redesigned machines then lowering over time. But as someone else in here said, this could almost be considered a "new" machine, so a higher price than the 4-port 13" that sticks could also happen.

$1799 with edu discount (so $1699) I think I will pull the trigger. If they raise it to $2k or so, I think I may just wait for an M2 MBA.

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
O
I think there's going to be a price increase from the 4-port 13" MBP. But also think they'd like to keep it under $2k... so maybe $1899 starting? Apple does have a history of raising the price on new, redesigned machines then lowering over time. But as someone else in here said, this could almost be considered a "new" machine, so a higher price than the 4-port 13" that sticks could also happen.

$1799 with edu discount (so $1699) I think I will pull the trigger. If they raise it to $2k or so, I think I may just wait for an M2 MBA.
Ye 1899 seems likely

If u don't mind my asking,why waiting for a m2 MBA ? I mean it's gonna be less powerful ,fan less,mini-led perhaps but probably not xdr and certainly not on par with the pros,more expensive surely etc etc

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
O

Ye 1899 seems likely

If u don't mind my asking,why waiting for a m2 MBA ? I mean it's gonna be less powerful ,fan less,mini-led perhaps but probably not xdr and certainly not on par with the pros,more expensive surely etc etc

The most intensive task I do right now is editing 1080p videos. I also do photo editing and some light Photoshop stuff.

I'm reading impressions on here and reddit where people are easily editing 4K video on M1 MBA w/ 8 GB RAM. So honestly the 14" M1X is probably overkill for my uses. Got an 18 month boy at home and can't just splurge on stuff that I don't' really "need" anymore! It seems like the M2 Air with 16 GB would be ideal for me if I can hold out that long.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I think people are already sold based on the M1 and many years of iPhone SoCs.
For some people who frequent Macrumors - of course. For the average consumer? Probably not. Thereā€™s also app support to factor in too. For myself, I am sold on the hardware, I know itā€™s solid, but whatā€™s holding me back is software support. And that is also going to take a few years to see widespread adoption especially in the pro markets which these laptops are going to be catered towards.

Mr. Bear

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
Apple can make an M1 chip for under $100. Intel i3 chips (Apple uses higher grade) start at $200 - $300.

This means Apple can increase its margins while keeping the same price. This is a big reason why the M1 Macs did not cost more than the computers they replaced.
Apple was selling some intel MacBooks for around $1000. That means the marginal cost to apple for the whole computer canā€™t be more than about $300. So the intel CPU would have to be around $150.

Last edited:

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Apple was selling some intel MacBooks for around $1000. That means the marginal cost to apple for the whole computer canā€™t be more than about $300. So the intel CPU would have to be around $150.
Yeah they get a bulk discount. Theyā€™re certainly not paying retail off-the-shelf prices for Intel chips. Still, $150 is half the price of parts used. This article seems to suggest appleā€™s M1 chip costs them $40-50.

Why doesnā€™t someone talk about a price decrease? No hope?
Itā€™s certainly possible. They decreased the price of the Mac mini. But since they are doing a major redesign, itā€™s unlikely they would decrease the price.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
M1 did the heavy lifting in terms of marketing and product awareness. Apple bought a lot of free publicity with M1.

With iPhone 12, Apple removed the EarPods and charger due to costly 5G components. The current chip shortage will affect MacBook Pro the same way. There is nothing Apple can remove from the box this time, so theyā€™ll pull the price lever.

"And for the first time ever, we've removed the charger and cord from the packaging, to benefit the environment. We think you're gonna love it."

• Haha
Reactions: thejadedmonkey

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Apple pricing on RAM and storage is the perfect counter example.

Just because the marginal cost is low doesnā€™t mean Apple has to share that benefit with you.

Appleā€™s first generation products are often reasonably priced. Once they own the market, price goes up. Look at AirPods, iPhone, Watch, and iPad.

M1X is expected to own the market, whether itā€™s for mini LED or the processor.

Last edited:

Mr. Bear

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
Yeah they get a bulk discount. Theyā€™re certainly not paying retail off-the-shelf prices for Intel chips. Still, $150 is half the price of parts used. This article seems to suggest appleā€™s M1 chip costs them $40-50.

Itā€™s certainly possible. They decreased the price of the Mac mini. But since they are doing a major redesign, itā€™s unlikely they would decrease the price.
So if our guesstimates are correct, Apple could drop the retail price for the original M1 macs by $250-300 and maintain their margins

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.