Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

what do you expect the 14" mbp price to be like?

• 1799 like mbp 13 intel

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • 1999 since its gonna be more powerful ,perhaps even on par with the 16"

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • 1799$/2129ā‚¬ as it'll replace intel mbp 13"

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • 1999$/2400ā‚¬ since it's gonna be on par with mbp 16 in terms of perfs/chip

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Why does the poll have 4 options but 2 of them are essentially duplicates of the other 2?
Is this asking about price or are you also trying to ask about expected performance but only on one option?

Reactions: Jorbanead

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Why does the poll have 4 options but 2 of them are essentially duplicates of the other 2?
Is this asking about price or are you also trying to ask about expected performance but only on one option?
Cuz either I'm too dumb to figure the sh*t out ,or i rly can't edit my post :)

I tried to add explanations on top of the bare options/poll choices ,but it simply created two other redundant polls lol

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
So if our guesstimates are correct, Apple could drop the retail price for the original M1 macs by $250-300 and maintain their margins

Apple didn't have to spend R&D dollars on those Intel chips though. Even if the component cost is less, there are other factors when they are designing the chips inhouse.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
So if our guesstimates are correct, Apple could drop the retail price for the original M1 macs by $250-300 and maintain their margins
The chip cost doesnā€™t cover R&D and other overhead costs. So the margins probably arenā€™t quite that. Iā€™d also guess that the consumer macs are partially subsidizing the higher-end chips as well (higher-end chips donā€™t sell as much volume but still require a lot of R&D work and are more expensive to build). Thatā€™s why I donā€™t think we will see a price drop, but I also donā€™t see a need to raise prices either.

Reactions: theorist9

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
I'm liking the symmetry of a future lineup which consists of:
12" and 14" M2/M3 MacBook (basically an MBA with a different name)
14" and 16" M1X/M2X/M3X MacBook Pro

From your lips to Tim's ears on the revival of the 12" MacBook form factor. I'm cleaning out my office, and in a long-unopened box I found not only 6000 Hong Kong dollars (about US$870) in cash, I found my old 2016 12" MacBook. I had forgotten I still have it. Laying hands on it again and confirming it still works, I became more impressed with how perfect that machine is/was for the business traveler. Its only weakness is the Intel processor inside. Even the much-reviled butterfly keyboard gets the job done.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Iā€™m all for bringing back the 12ā€ MacBook (which got me thru senior year of highschool and 3.5 years of undergrad), but from a naming standpoint it becomes an aesthetic nightmare. Why would the thinnest and lightest notebook be called ā€œMacBookā€ and the heavier and bigger notebook called ā€œMacBook Airā€.

Ideally a future line up is: 12ā€ and 14ā€ MacBook Air, 13.3ā€ MacBook (basically the current M1 MacBook Pro without the touch bar and at a lower price point), 14ā€ and 16ā€ MacBook Pro.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Iā€™m all for bringing back the 12ā€ MacBook (which got me thru senior year of highschool and 3.5 years of undergrad), but from a naming standpoint it becomes an aesthetic nightmare. Why would the thinnest and lightest notebook be called ā€œMacBookā€ and the heavier and bigger notebook called ā€œMacBook Airā€.

Ideally a future line up is: 12ā€ and 14ā€ MacBook Air, 13.3ā€ MacBook (basically the current M1 MacBook Pro without the touch bar and at a lower price point), 14ā€ and 16ā€ MacBook Pro.
I always saw the Retina MacBook as a replacement for the MBA, but it was costed wrong, so it never took off.

I don't see a purpose for both a MacBook and MacBook Air to coexist. I also don't see the point of the current 13" MBP and the 13" MBA coexisting.

Apple killing the 13" MBP in a year or two (so no M2 or M3 MBPs), with that product slot taken by one laptop (whether it's called a MB or MBA) makes a lot of sense to me.

All MBPs should have an M1X/M2X/M3X in the future.

I think the "MacBook Air" has had it's time, and should be just called MacBook (12" + 14"). Don't get me wrong; same computer, same price point, same design targets, just simpler name, less product fragmentation.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Apple pricing on RAM and storage is the perfect counter example.

Just because the marginal cost is low doesnā€™t mean Apple has to share that benefit with you.

Appleā€™s first generation products are often reasonably priced. Once they own the market, price goes up. Look at AirPods, iPhone, Watch, and iPad.

M1X is expected to own the market, whether itā€™s for mini LED or the processor.
Right, but they also keep a low priced model.

Just look at the airpods (regular, on sale for as low as $99 at times) and the iPad (not mini or air or pro) ;)

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
I always saw the Retina MacBook as a replacement for the MBA, but it was costed wrong, so it never took off.

I don't see a purpose for both a MacBook and MacBook Air to coexist. I also don't see the point of the current 13" MBP and the 13" MBA coexisting.

Apple killing the 13" MBP in a year or two (so no M2 or M3 MBPs), with that product slot taken by one laptop (whether it's called a MB or MBA) makes a lot of sense to me.

All MBPs should have an M1X/M2X/M3X in the future.

I think the "MacBook Air" has had it's time, and should be just called MacBook (12" + 14"). Don't get me wrong; same computer, same price point, same design targets, just simpler name, less product fragmentation.

I think having an ā€œAirā€ makes sense if youā€™re selling thinness/extra portability at a premium. In the current pricing hierarchy, I agree, it doesnā€™t make sense. But in a future hierarchy where a 3lb square design MacBook costs $999, the (12ā€) Air $1199, and the MX Pros at $1599; I could see it working.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
What I mean by that is how much does it rly cost them for the R&D of such chips
I know. My point is that just as Intel don't sell Xeons super-cheap, even though they are predominantly an upscale of their desktop processors, plus some tinkering like ECC.

It's exactly the same for Apple and the M1/M1X.

It could also be the case that as they are derived from the same cores, the M1/M1X sales could be subsidising iPhone processor development, just as Xeon sales subsidise Core iX development.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Apple pricing on RAM and storage is the perfect counter example.

Just because the marginal cost is low doesnā€™t mean Apple has to share that benefit with you.

Appleā€™s first generation products are often reasonably priced. Once they own the market, price goes up. Look at AirPods, iPhone, Watch, and iPad.

M1X is expected to own the market, whether itā€™s for mini LED or the processor.
Sure.

But lower component cost gives Apple the choice to lower prices or keep it the same.

M1 Mac Mini is $100 cheaper than the Intel Mac Mini it replaced, I believe.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Apple was selling some intel MacBooks for around $1000. That means the marginal cost to apple for the whole computer canā€™t be more than about $300. So the intel CPU would have to be around $150.
Yeah they get a bulk discount. Theyā€™re certainly not paying retail off-the-shelf prices for Intel chips. Still, $150 is half the price of parts used. This article seems to suggest appleā€™s M1 chip costs them $40-50.
The article doesn't make it clear if the $200 - $300 is the price big computer makers like Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo pays or if it's the street price. So I don't know.

But keep in mind that Apple uses the very best mobile chips Intel has to offer at each level. The very best bins go to Apple. That's got to cost a pretty penny.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Intel chips in the MBA did indeed cost $200+. Intel has ultra-high margins as well.

Let's go the middle and say that the Intel chips in the MBA cost $175 and the cost to make an M1 is $50. That's $125 difference. The $125 does make sense because the M1 Mac Mini is $100 cheaper than the Intel Mac Mini that it replaced.

The difference is probably even bigger for Intel highest-binned 8-core chips that go inside the MBP.

Reactions: Vazor

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Sure.

But lower component cost gives Apple the choice to lower prices or keep it the same.

The iMac tells us Apple's likely choice in such a scenario.

21.5" 4K iMac = $1,299 | $1,499
24" iMac = $1,299 | $1,499 | $1,699

Apple saved money by replacing the Intel CPU and deleting AMD Radeon (2GB GDDR5) on the iMac. But the MacBook Pro 13" doesn't have a Radeon for Apple to delete. M1X is a large piece of silicon and Apple is adding mini LED and MagSafe. After the launch of M1, Apple now has the mind share of Pro buyers and that group is willing to pay for an increase.

(M1 Mac mini is cheaper by $100 but it lost two TB3 ports, which Apple values at $70 on the iMac.)

Mr. Bear

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
The article doesn't make it clear if the $200 - $300 is the price big computer makers like Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo pays or if it's the street price. So I don't know.

But keep in mind that Apple uses the very best mobile chips Intel has to offer at each level. The very best bins go to Apple. That's got to cost a pretty penny.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Intel chips in the MBA did indeed cost $200+. Intel has ultra-high margins as well.

Let's go the middle and say that the Intel chips in the MBA cost $175 and the cost to make an M1 is $50. That's $125 difference. The $125 does make sense because the M1 Mac Mini is $100 cheaper than the Intel Mac Mini that it replaced.

The difference is probably even bigger for Intel highest-binned 8-core chips that go inside the MBP.

There's no way Apple was putting a $200+ Intel chip in a $1000 computer. The margins wouldn't support it.

As I was alluding to above, whatever the marginal cost of the computer (i.e., the cost to manufacture a single computer on the assembly line, which includes parts and labor, but does not include R&D, overhead, etc) it's going to be about 1/3 of the retail cost. So a $1000 "at retail" computer costs about $330 to manufacture. The other $670 includes R&D, salaries, other overhead, retailer margins, etc. So if an Intel MBA costs $330 to manufacture (with a $175 chip, although I'll bet the real price is closer to $100), then a similarly spec'd M1 MBA costs around $200 to manufacture. Which means that Apple COULD sell it for $600 and maintain their margins. But by selling it for the same price, they're making a LOT more money on the computer. I'm not sure, but I expect that the $1000 MBA has a wholesale price of around $700-800. (I'm basing that on the 'regular' $150 discount they get - Amazon, BB, etc will still make a little money at $850). That's a 20-30% INCREASE in their profit margin per unit. Which is huge.

Reactions: Admiral

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Sure.

I think the primary reason they dropped the Mini price was to get people using M1 Macs. They want as many people buying and using these so they can convince software developers to update their apps.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
There's no way Apple was putting a $200+ Intel chip in a $1000 computer. The margins wouldn't support it.

I'm not the only one who thinks the MBA CPU costs $175 - $200. I wrote $175.

It costs Intel about $50 to make a chip. Intel is going to sell this chip for at least 4x or more. That's $200. Maybe special Apple discount so it's $150 - $175.

Keep in mind that mobile chips are more expensive than your typical desktop chips. Intel takes the best bins and uses them on mobile. Then Apple comes in and takes the best bins out of the mobile chips.

The most costly component in a Mac is the CPU, by far. Next up is the GPU if it's discrete. Everything else is peanuts.

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
14 inch MacBook Pro standard configurations:

$1899 - 16 GB, 512 GB SSD, M1X with the GPU having a little less GPU Cores

Options:
32 GB - $299
1 TB - $199
2 TB - $499

$2199 - 16 GB, 1 TB SSD, standard M1X

Options:
32 GB - $299
2 TB - $399

16 inch MacBook Pro standard configurations:

$2399 - 16 GB, 512 GB SSD, standard M1X

Options:
32 GB - $299
1 TB - $199
2 TB - $499

$2799 - 32 GB, 1 TB SSD, standard M1X

Options:
64 GB - $699
2 TB - $399

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think the primary reason they dropped the Mini price was to get people using M1 Macs. They want as many people buying and using these so they can convince software developers to update their apps.

If that was the goal, Apple would have dropped the price of MacBook Air. The vast majority of Mac buyers choose the Air or Pro. If you look at the Mac mini press release, it's clear the target audience is developers.

Apple uses ports as a price differentiator across the Mac lineup. The reason for the price drop is M1 mini only has two TB3 ports compared to four on Intel.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
If that was the goal, Apple would have dropped the price of MacBook Air. The vast majority of Mac buyers choose the Air or Pro. If you look at the Mac mini press release, it's clear the target audience is developers.

Apple uses ports as a price differentiator across the Mac lineup. The reason for the price drop is M1 mini only has two TB3 ports compared to four on Intel.

isn't the Mini popular with developers? that could be another reason. Get a cheaper machine out there for people who actually write software.

and I guess you could argue that fact that they didn't INCREASE any of the consumer Mac prices for M1 Macs was in itself a way to lure people to upgrade.

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
I'm voting $1999 because the chip shortage and more expensive screen will increase the price. I don't think they'll raise the price "because it's more powerful." They didn't do this with the M1 Macs last fall.
This. Apple is hell bent on recouping the 5+ years of R&D they've put into mini-LED, which turned out to be incredibly meh in the end. And the chip shortage may indeed push them to raise prices. I expect $200 increases over predecessors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.