Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
1) There's nothing anywhere whatsoever that states that Apple must or should be or is supposed to be using only white backlighting.

2) Anyone with any experience in manufacturing knows that you never, ever, ever single source a component if possible. Ever.

3) We have yet another thread turning what's ultimately an acceptable variation of a designed component into a defect thread by armchair manufacturing engineers.

Ain't nothin' wrong with either hue.

floridaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Florida
1) There's nothing anywhere whatsoever that states that Apple must or should be or is supposed to be using only white backlighting.

2) Anyone with any experience in manufacturing knows that you never, ever, ever single source a component if possible. Ever.

3) We have yet another thread turning what's ultimately an acceptable variation of a designed component into a defect thread by armchair manufacturing engineers.

Ain't nothin' wrong with either hue.
Okay Nacho, guess you know exactly how Apple operates then. If I were in charge of parts I would not have keyboards with different hues and I don't care how many companies I am getting my parts through.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Actually, I have done some exchanges as well and I did have a Space Gray model with the white hue backlighting. It does seem that the majority of the space gray models have the off white hue. I can also tell you that I had a Silver model with an off white hue. I don't think the off white hue is specific to Space Gray. I guess it is keyboard backlighting lottery.
How many exchanges have you done? Did you check the models on display at the Apple Store too?

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I've seen this odd blue/purple hued keyboard thing in person, and it really is an eyesore thanks to the not so vibrant Touch Bar, which also gets warmer when TrueTone is activated. But even without TrueTone, the color temperature mismatch on the keyboard against the touch bar is just unacceptable. And, the contrast between the two exacerbates the overly blue/purple hue of the keyboard, and the already dull Touch Bar. When they are closer in color temperature, the eye just glosses over any small variances.

When I first heard about this I thought it was only due to TrueTone changing the Touch Bar's overall tone, or due to the contrast of the green tinted factory display panel as mentioned in another thread, but no, there are some odd looking keyboard backlights out there. Some have a yellowish tone, and most are where they should be, in that bright white middle ground.

No one is faulting Apple for using multiple component sources, it's the smart thing to do, especially when ordering parts in high volume as Apple does. The issue is that in some cases, the variations between units are glaring, and seem unacceptable for some customers who pay upwards of $3500 for a premium product.

Apple needs to take their obsession with detail and use it to crack down on their suppliers to try and narrow these variances down a bit. You'd think that their extreme attention to detail would prevent these mismatched components from going into production, but perhaps they needed all parts on hand, regardless of them being a bit off spec to start shipping this highly anticipated new product. I am sure Apple has ordered these with a backlight color temperature spec, there isn't just one white tone LED.

Small variances are acceptable, and to be expected. But having a blue hued keyboard backlight paired with a white or yellow-ish white touch bar, on one of the most expensive laptops ever made, well, that's just unacceptable. Apple customers expect top notch quality as that is what they are paying for.

If these blatantly obvious component supplier variations don't bother you, then other people voicing their concerns over their new MacBook Pro's shouldn't bother you either, so they shouldn't be judged for expressing them.

Reactions: floridaman

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I am buying the base 16" for $2,150.

Has Apple released a software update addressing "Keyboard backlight"?

floridaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Florida
I am buying the base 16" for $2,150.

Has Apple released a software update addressing "Keyboard backlight"?
A software update isn't going to solve this issue. It is a hardware issue. As Sowelu stated in his post there are variances in the keyboard backlight hue. Small variances are acceptable. Some of the keyboards however have a larger variance and the purple/blue hue is unacceptable for what is supposed to the best laptop you can buy. If I was spending a few hundred dollars then it wouldn't matter but when spending north of 4K then the variances are completely unacceptable and this is where Apple fails. They have promised better QC but yet again they have failed in this area. They need to get this resolved with the distributors of the keyboards or deal with other suppliers that can deliver a proper keyboard.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I agree these variations show lack of consistency, and perhaps quality, see this thread about keyboard key feel:

and there is another thread about delete, space keys sounding completely different when pressed.

Perhaps more “pressing”, as you probably are spending more time typing and looking at the screen then at the lights :)

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My keeby done went out and got the dang purps so how’s I gonna use it? I done got this computer because I has an aesthetic kink and how will it satisfy me if it isn’t perfection? Aww man..

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I had an issue with my 2017 MBP keyboard lighting which the E key was 4-5x brighter than the rest (Think it was about to go out?) and apple replaced the keyboard no questions asked.

Your photo looks normal to me. I am having an issue with the same 16" regarding light bleeding in the upper right display on dark colors.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If the device doesn't make you happy, return it. Simple as that. Far be it for us to tell you what to do with your device or how to feel about your device's keyboard.

Nicholas Baitson

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2020
I do notice the keys backlight is not consistent , Ie the shift key on the right has lots of light coming from under it, and the shift key on the left has little light coming from under it, and it’s different across the keyboard, it does my OCD no good at all lol...

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
Do you guys think that a Mid 2020 refresh might refine this new keyboard?
I dislike that the keyboard is mushy and backlights.

Last edited:

altusan

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
I thought I was the only one with this purplish keyboard backlight. I can type perfectly with the keyboard but I would like it to be as white as the one I used to have in my MacBook Pro Retina 13 inches.

Louis Aragon

macrumors newbie
Wondering if anyone has noticed that the keyboard backlighting on the MacBook Pro 16 is inconsistent. I am attaching some pictures that show the difference. The space gray MacBook has a purple looking background and the Silver model has more of a white light background. I also exchanged a space gray model because of performance issues and the keyboard was white on that machine as well. Makes you wonder if there is more than one manufacturer of the keyboard. I would think the backlighting should be white in all cases but clearly that isn't the case. I also have noticed the backlight isn't as bright on the Space gray as the Silver model.
Hi,have you consulted or requested repair in the Apple Store? Whether Apple has identified the situation as a quality issue. I was in the same situation with a friend of mine.

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
The Touch Bar is slightly yellower less while the whites on the screen with True Tone off look a little bluer.
I have a Space Grey.

I guess there are some quality assurance issue for this model but then again first generation model for one of better words will have these defects one way or the other .

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
If you photograph the keyboard during the day under natural window illumination and without any additional overhead room lighting does the keyboard still look blue?

A lot of these colour differences could be down to your phone colour balance, especially in night mode. If photographed under window light at least you know the camera won’t be effecting the result as it will be balanced to daylight and a better indication of how blue the keys look.

Last edited:

luckylegion

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
I noticed yours has the same weird "spot" on the right side of the spacebar backlighting as mine. Visible when viewed at a lower (less birds eye) angle. Kinda like a little pixel but not on the left side. Anyone else's have this?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Wondering if anyone has noticed that the keyboard backlighting on the MacBook Pro 16 is inconsistent. I am attaching some pictures that show the difference. The space gray MacBook has a purple looking background and the Silver model has more of a white light background. I also exchanged a space gray model because of performance issues and the keyboard was white on that machine as well. Makes you wonder if there is more than one manufacturer of the keyboard. I would think the backlighting should be white in all cases but clearly that isn't the case. I also have noticed the backlight isn't as bright on the Space gray as the Silver model.

For one, if you take pictures of your keyboard, it should be the keyboard without two different lighting effects stemming from the bright white screen in one picture and the blacker screen in another picture.

This throws the color balance reflection off and creates a different hue.

Retake your pictures without the screen on so there is actually just lighting from the keyboard because that’s what the concern is, isn’t it?

Also, sunlight and artificial light is going to affect the color perception differently.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I never thought about it. Luckily mine is definitely white. If it’s bothering you that much then return it.

2B34DFCB-15FA-492C-AB1E-9F00AACEF90C.jpeg

JamestheCharming

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2019
pink / purplish +1. Annoying. I noticed right when I open the clid. Has anyone consulted apple for a change? Or they reject it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.