Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Good news.

After 8 hours of stressing audio output , the sound drivers are mostly fixed in Mojave. There was no crackling in playback from YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Logic and QuickTime - which were sometimes running simultaneously (I have a headache)

The only crackling in the test was in the volume control buttons, but not consistently and very slightly. You can disable ‘Play feedback when volume is changed’ in Sound prefs.

Reactions: vom

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
Good news.

After 8 hours of stressing audio output , the sound drivers are mostly fixed in Mojave. There was no crackling in playback from YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Logic and QuickTime - which were sometimes running simultaneously (I have a headache)

The only crackling in the test was in the volume control buttons, but not consistently and very slightly. You can disable ‘Play feedback when volume is changed’ in Sound prefs.
Is mojave available for download?

vom

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Good news.

Thanks for taking the time to do this (and the frustration of having multiple audio streams running).

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
can you try listening to itunes while play a game? i think this is/was the easiest way to test it
Only if you can/have the time

I only game on a gaming PC. I’d never do that to a slim and light laptop. I saw how Unreal Tournament 2004 burned my beloved PowerBook.

I would expect a fixed sound driver to come out very soon for High Sierra and following that in the next Mojave beta.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i wasn't talking about where is a logic place to game...just for a testing purpose...but never mind
Can you test on Mojave on itunes radio beats...put the volume almost to max, and then tab on the mute button from touch bar....mute/unmute, sometimes in High Sierra when you mute the sound, the speakers makes a strange sound just for a mili second

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
i wasn't talking about where is a logic place to game...just for a testing purpose...but never mind
Can you test on Mojave on itunes radio beats...put the volume almost to max, and then tab on the mute button from touch bar....mute/unmute, sometimes in High Sierra when you mute the sound, the speakers makes a strange sound just for a mili second

Yes I can try that in both systems. Just finishing a 22GB download from a client first.

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama

I’ve done your test.

On High Sierra the mute/unmute button has a high pitch tap/click noise. The music didn’t crackle during the test.

On Mojave the mute/unmute button behaves and sounds normally. There is a little distortion in the volume up/down controls. Music didn’t crackle during the test.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I’ve done your test.

On High Sierra the mute/unmute button has a high pitch tap/click noise. The music didn’t crackle during the test.

On Mojave the mute/unmute button behaves and sounds normally. There is a little distortion in the volume up/down controls. Music didn’t crackle during the test.
Thank you so much, so its clear , for no reason, Apple has better drivers on a beta than on the almost one year old macOS

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Thank you so much, so its clear , for no reason, Apple has better drivers on a beta than on the almost one year old macOS

That should be expected because High Sierra hasn’t had a major update since the release of the new machines, while betas always have a lot of rebuilt drivers.

Get in touch with support. Forums are only good to confirm if other users experience the same bugs.

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
I went to my local AASP today (as when I contacted Apple they wanted me to go there to have my laptop checked out). Unfortunately they wanted to take my laptop away for diagnostics/service, which I can't do as I need the laptop for my job (as it has all my VMs on it), and I wouldn't get even a diagnosis until Wednesday (the Apple store was completely booked up), and I live around 1h 30m away from either of these two places. I think they were bewildered that such a new laptop was having issues though. Do I get back in touch with Apple and see what alternatives they can do (though I am past the deadline for a refund)?

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
I went to my local AASP today (as when I contacted Apple they wanted me to go there to have my laptop checked out). Unfortunately they wanted to take my laptop away for diagnostics/service, which I can't do as I need the laptop for my job (as it has all my VMs on it), and I wouldn't get even a diagnosis until Wednesday (the Apple store was completely booked up), and I live around 1h 30m away from either of these two places. I think they were bewildered that such a new laptop was having issues though. Do I get back in touch with Apple and see what alternatives they can do (though I am past the deadline for a refund)?

Feedback app. Report the bug, provide the system files the app gathers so that the devs can diagnose.

Reactions: jafico1

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Feedback app. Report the bug, provide the system files the app gathers so that the devs can diagnose.
Thanks for that, I'll do it when I get back home. I've also been having a few other issues (a bridgeOS crash, and some weirdness with my DP monitor and sleeping so I'll also let them know about those) . Right now I love this laptop but it shouldn't be having these issues .

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Just some notes, I submitted a bug report to Apple and an engineer reached out to gather more information. He requested I replicate the issue, record a video of it happening then run a sysdiagnose while noting the steps taken to replicate the crackling. All of this was uploaded to the engineers database, he did mention he’s spoken to several other customers reporting the same issue so Apple is certainly aware of this. I recommend everyone submit a bug report so that Apple may receive as much data as possible.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
That should be expected because High Sierra hasn’t had a major update since the release of the new machines, while betas always have a lot of rebuilt drivers.

Get in touch with support. Forums are only good to confirm if other users experience the same bugs.
you're still on Mojave? still everything looks better than HS from audio drivers point of view?

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
you're still on Mojave? still everything looks better than HS from audio drivers point of view?

Better, but I’m saying expect an update. It looks like the issue is being investigated. They will then patch drivers for three operating systems and possibly firmware too. Usually there are also firmware updates whenever a new OS is released.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Better, but I’m saying expect an update. It looks like the issue is being investigated. They will then patch drivers for three operating systems and possibly firmware too. Usually there are also firmware updates whenever a new OS is released.
yes, i have a deja vu with the audio drivers for bootcamp for the 2016 MBp models

Reactions: CreeptoLoser

ServeLife

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Have same issue (MBP2018 15" i9).
After a long moment, it starts and occurs every 11 seconds exactly. It can occur in iTunes, or in web videos, and so on.
Under VLC, when it happens, the logs are full of "playback too late", so it's not a speaker problem.

I have the exact same problem listed here, a cyclical crackle from YouTube or iTunes Apple Music. Rebooted and cooled machine cant replicate. I already have a return slip to get money back but now I dont know. Is it fixable in software T2 ship? i9, 32gb, 1tb
[doublepost=1533423648][/doublepost]
Just some notes, I submitted a bug report to Apple and an engineer reached out to gather more information. He requested I replicate the issue, record a video of it happening then run a sysdiagnose while noting the steps taken to replicate the crackling. All of this was uploaded to the engineers database, he did mention he’s spoken to several other customers reporting the same issue so Apple is certainly aware of this. I recommend everyone submit a bug report so that Apple may receive as much data as possible.

Would you recommend getting your money back or giving Apple a chance here?
[doublepost=1533424119][/doublepost]
I installed a latency check tool (https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml) and everything is in the yellow, for the mostpart. The tool seems to think there shouldn't be a problem.

Nevertheless, I went through and disabled a few drivers (wifi cards etc) and it didn't reduce the latency.

Where the bar chart turns red is where the crackling started. Where it returns to yellow is where I exited CivVi.

https://i.imgur.com/ZVIjpG3.png
[doublepost=1532743378][/doublepost]Well, I found the problem. And... it's an Apple driver. So not much to do about it since we need that driver for audio.

https://imgur.com/a/vI9nIVt

I have the option to return the unit for a full refund... but I also just got my dev system configured and need to get working. Would you swap it out or hope it can be fixed in software?
[doublepost=1533424936][/doublepost]
Okay so I went to Audio MIDI setup (search for it on spotlight) and changed the MacBook Pro and Microphone Frequency to 44,100 Hz and the issue seems to have resolved itself. No more crackling! Can anyone else try this and let me know if it works for them?

I don't know what it was when the problem happened but it is now working well for me and is set to that for me. Thank you.

Midi.png

[doublepost=1533425776][/doublepost]
Returned my MBP today, the technician at the store said they don’t know the cause or how to fix it, but that it’s “probably a software issue”.

Lucky my late 2013 model can hold out a few more years for a version with working audio and no coil whine.

You returned it - good for you. I too have a 2013 13 inch and this one is an i9 15 inch and I am worried about inheriting a mess including the keyboard. What say you now? Feel good about the return still?

Ocias

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
Sydney, Australia
View attachment 774411
[doublepost=1533425776][/doublepost]

You returned it - good for you. I too have a 2013 13 inch and this one is an i9 15 inch and I am worried about inheriting a mess including the keyboard. What say you now? Feel good about the return still?
Yep, I sure do, very happy not to have this stress.

I’ll just consider these machines again after Mojave is out or more likely a good month after the next refresh.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaintBol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.