Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Ouch! Sorry to hear man. Can you at least return it?
5 machines in a row is easily the highest number I've seen yet... As someone passed this on to me earlier this year, I'd contact Craig Federighi. 5 Machines in a row should qualify as an issue worth his time: federighi@apple.com

I've had 3, I've posted in this thread somewhere around a year ago. Apple doesn't care but an email doesn't hurt.

Reactions: zedsdeadbaby
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
You'll be pleased to hear that the latest Catalina build Dev Beta 3 almost fixes the crackling and popping sounds. It's like 99% fixed for the internal sound processing. I haven't tested external sound devices.

Reactions: loby

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
You'll be pleased to hear that the latest Catalina build Dev Beta 3 almost fixes the crackling and popping sounds. It's like 99% fixed for the internal sound processing. I haven't tested external sound devices.

Very nice. What about the loud popping noises during pause/skipping music?

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

How about the click or short static sound when you stop the audio in the motion app with the space bar. Is that still happening in macOS Catalina?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
How about the click or short static sound when you stop the audio in the motion app with the space bar. Is that still happening in macOS Catalina?

I don't have motion app but all those popping and clicking sounds when you are scrubbing video or audio or changing volume are significantly reduced. Was hoping other Catalina testers would chime in too.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I don't have motion app but all those popping and clicking sounds when you are scrubbing video or audio or changing volume are significantly reduced. Was hoping other Catalina testers would chime in too.

Thanks for the information. Appreciate the update. I was going to wait for awhile concerning Catalina since the elimination of all 32-bit programing, (including taking it completely out of the OS) and really don’t want to go through any more headaches...as I have had with audio on my MacBook Pro 2018 for the last year. I can live with for now the minor issues and don’t want to start all over again with a new OS. No choice...

But...your information is encouraging and gives me some hope that “maybe” macOS Catalina may finally resolve the audio issues. For the first time in a long time I look forward to the new MacOS. Personally I am tired of every new OS having to bear with the bugs and issues until v.5 or .6.

Here’s hoping!

noughtme

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
Finally brought in my macbook to see about this audio issue since i also had a stuck key (only replaced keycap, not top case).

After running diagnostics, the genius claimed it was caused by a problem with the headphone jack daughter board.

The macbook pro 2018 is just lolz. Should i let these clowns replace the headphone jack?

noughtme

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
Are you getting audio issues only on 3.5mm? Or on anything?

Get it relaxed and report back.

no issues with audio from the headphones at all. just the same popping from the speakers when the t2 power saver mutes and unmutes the audio subsystem.

genius theory was that there was a short in the headphone jack causing the computer to think headphones were connected. sounds bogus.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
no issues with audio from the headphones at all. just the same popping from the speakers when the t2 power saver mutes and unmutes the audio subsystem.

genius theory was that there was a short in the headphone jack causing the computer to think headphones were connected. sounds bogus.

Have you decided if you're going to have it repaired?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

I did notice that it seems to be somewhat improved, too, not 100% fixed, but definitely closer.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I never really noticed that, but things like audio crackle on notification sounds and such seem almost gone now.
yes, notifications had audio crackle when also listening youtube etc
[doublepost=1562493193][/doublepost]when you heard notification audio crackle? i never heard unless i was on youtube and an mail notification etc was coming up

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
yes, notifications had audio crackle when also listening youtube etc
[doublepost=1562493193][/doublepost]when you heard notification audio crackle? i never heard unless i was on youtube and an mail notification etc was coming up

Quite frequently whenever Adium made a contact connecting noise it crackled.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
i think i will pass. i will wait until more keys fail and have the top case, along with speakers and audio system, replaced.

has anyone else had the headphone jack replaced?
“Audio system” is the T2. The speakers have their own amplifiers though.

On all of mine, I had the popping on speakers/3.5mm/USB/BT. One of them had topcase replacement and there was no change.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Haha, finally caught up on latest Apple news. Seems more laptops got given T2.

Apple should be sued to oblivion for this, but they won’t.

Just wait for the T2 successor and pray they worked a fix into that.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Haha, finally caught up on latest Apple news. Seems more laptops got given T2.

Apple should be sued to oblivion for this, but they won’t.

Just wait for the T2 successor and pray they worked a fix into that.

Just because they call it a T2, doesn’t mean that it’s not a different revision of T2...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.