Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noughtme

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
“Audio system” is the T2. The speakers have their own amplifiers though.

On all of mine, I had the popping on speakers/3.5mm/USB/BT. One of them had topcase replacement and there was no change.

yes, just meant the speakers and amplifiers. the two geniuses i spoke to seemed to have no idea about this audio issue, despite being well known (even beyond macrumors). was the possibility of having the logic board replaced an option? two of my friends with macbook pro 2018s do not have this problem, so i would disagree that it affects every board. i've got the Vega 20, so maybe it only affects those boards (i don't recall if this has already been mentioned).

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
2018 15in
2018 13in, replaced top case too.
2018 15in
2018 15in Vega
2019 15in

All of the above are machines I’ve held that have had these problems. It’s MBP 2018/19 T2 problem.
[doublepost=1563278751][/doublepost]Also, we’re on page 60.

>Year post-release.

A spec bump release in the middle.

Two full OS versions, with a third in beta

No fix

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
2018 MBP here with 2.2Ghz 8750H / Radeon 560x / 32GB 10 months old with Apple Care.

Thank god I have no problems with the keyboard so far.. but I now encounter serious audio distortion and crackling when working on the machine with several programs at the same time.

You know what is the most horrible thing, I took it to the Apple store and they said; based on our diagnostics it's fine.. Obviously it is not.. Now they point to software and how that is not there problem. Also called with Apple Care and the amount of ignorance and incompetence is just insane.

I am sure the problem is related to the Macbook itself, T2 chip or something similar. Did anyone have success resolving this?

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
I am sure the problem is related to the Macbook itself, T2 chip or something similar. Did anyone have success resolving this?

You didn’t read the latest posts here?

There is no fix. Apple doesn’t care. It acknowledges the problem deep down in internal structure, but the priority is super low. Publications don’t call out Apple for having 1.5 years and two models of Pro machines that don’t function in basic things.

Cal up Apple Custer Relations and lodge a complaint. Ask about a refund.

Reactions: OSX15

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
You didn’t read the latest posts here?

There is no fix. Apple doesn’t care. It acknowledges the problem deep down in internal structure, but the priority is super low. Publications don’t call out Apple for having 1.5 years and two models of Pro machines that don’t function in basic things.

Cal up Apple Custer Relations and lodge a complaint. Ask about a refund.

Yes, I did read the posts. I've read almost every comment on every page. However, some people report not experiencing the problems after a software update.. Mine never had a problem until it was around 6 months old. My frustration lies in the fact that I am 99% sure it has to do with T2, but when Apple run diagnostics it gets through every single time. I am just not sure how successful a refund request would be, seeing how difficult it is to reach the right people within Apple.

Reactions: noughtme

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Yes, I did read the posts. I've read almost every comment on every page. However, some people report not experiencing the problems after a software update.. Mine never had a problem until it was around 6 months old. My frustration lies in the fact that I am 99% sure it has to do with T2, but when Apple run diagnostics it gets through every single time. I am just not sure how successful a refund request would be, seeing how difficult it is to reach the right people within Apple.

Ask for a "senior advisor" when calling, not the regular people you get on the phone when you call Apple. Because it's 6 months old already you I doubt you will get a refund, but if you keep complaining to them you never know what might happen.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Open a case with senior advisor and get it attributed to “T2 audio issue”. It’s in the system I guarantee it.

That’s the phone support staff. Just don’t even bother with anyone lower - ask if they are senior advisor, and if not to escalate you higher.

I mean, ask them what your options are. Make it known that YOU KNOW this is an issue affecting a lot of macs, that Apple knows about it, and that their ****** diagnostics won’t reveal anything.

If you need I can provide my case number, they have three devices, logs, captures, internal engineer notes.

If they refuse or don’t want to help much, ask to be transferred to Customer Relations. This is where you make a formal complaint, and you CAN proceed with refund in some cases.

Highly likely your AppleCare will be pro-rata if you take this route. I’m not sure if the senior advisor needs to “run out of options” or what, before a refund is on the list of options.

For the record on my singular particular case, I went through 3 machines. They wanted to try again but I insisted on refund (first advisor told me I can refund any time, since I did it in 2 week window).

CUSTOMER RELATIONS is the key words to get a whole new department for complaints/refunds/etc.

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
so guys, I've got my motherboard replaced recently (2018 2.6 i7 6 core) and seems like they changed something, either in OS or in chip, now when audio hangs - it's just pure silence for part of a second, occurs systemwide...
idk, looks like they know about the issue but trying to hide it at their best

Reactions: OSX15

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Yeah so I just got my 2019 MBA and it has the same issues lol.

T2 is bust.
[doublepost=1564023145][/doublepost]Speaker hiss - may as well not be there. I need to try REALLY HARD to listen for it with ear right next to speakers, and I can hear it maybe half the time at best. So this is improved, guess that's the difference between MBA and MBP set up. MBP still TRASH and I wouldn't recommend.

Youtube/safari playing, get notifications - this doesn't seem to trigger the audio meltdown/distortion? I can definitely still manually trigger it by spamming volume keys with feedback enabled on youtube/safari.

Overall, since it's not triggered by notifications (yet) and I can't hear the hiss at all during normal use, and the fact this cost $1500 versus $4800 for MBP .... I think I'm okay with this.

But I do feel I'm about to smash that BUY button on 2019 iMac (sans T2 !!!!) super hard, very soon.

phloo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
I am super pissed at Apple. This is the fourth time I have to replace my topcase on my MBP Late 2016.
First right speaker crashed. After replacing it, maybe 6-10 months later, the left one died. And today the right one blew up again.
This is a $4000 machine and their ****** $20 speaker is a nightmare.

</rant>

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
I am super pissed at Apple. This is the fourth time I have to replace my topcase on my MBP Late 2016.
First right speaker crashed. After replacing it, maybe 6-10 months later, the left one died. And today the right one blew up again.
This is a $4000 machine and their ****** $20 speaker is a nightmare.

</rant>

I’m in the same boat with a blown speaker. This didn’t involve them replacing the logic board did it? (Have a TON of software I’d need to reauthorize if it meant a new board ...)

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I wonder how is it now on Catalina...any improvements?
For me still ok after just 1 day max

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Any one in beta program?
how is this catalina regarding speaker crackling ?

_ghost_

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
I can confirm this is still happening in Catalina. In fact, it stopped happening on Mojave and ever since Catalina it has been back. Really frustrating to hear that Apple doesn't care and stand behind their products.

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
Wow. Unbelievable it's still unresolved in Catalina. At this point it's pretty clear that the only way Apple might do anything about this is via a mass of people reaching out to the executive level. (Or a class action.)

I posted information a few pages back with info about how to send a letter to the executive level. I really encourage people still living with this issue to follow through and send both a letter to Cooks office and an email to Federighi.

It's been over a year on i9 machines, and the issue can even be traced back to the 2016 touchbar...

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
So I'm supposed to believe that one more person 'trying' to make the issue known will get it fixed? When:

1. We've had 3 OS's
2. Countless updates and firmware updates.
3. The issue is known internally. They know about it.
4. They keep putting out new models and refreshes with the T2 which is known faulty.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Mojave at its release fixed half of the issues..since then 0 more
Its apple that don’t give a sh since its not a chip hardware issue

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
What's the current scope of the issue?

Is it all T2 equipped MBPros? Or just a selection?
Wasn't this supposed to be resolved by using a USB-C audio device or by using a particular specification USB hub between the MBPro and the USB-A audio device? Or is that a separate issue?

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
2018, 2019 MBPs, and 2019 MBA with T2 has same issues.

No USB doesn't resolve. Neither does 3.5mm. Neither does BT. T2 controls it all, plot twist....

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My new 16" MacBook Pro has a crack sound on closing videos. Does the crackling in the speakers cause speaker damage over time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.