Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamk77

Suspended
Jan 6, 2008
After using these keyboard covers since college, I can say they serve two purposes really well:
- Preventing the keys from getting the shiny/oily look when the coating starts rubbing off after normal usage. This is purely cosmetic, but I absolutely hate seeing that shiny look on the keys.
- Those nasty crumbles that can get in between the keys, where you swore to yourself you'd never eat near your laptop, but inevitably do so.

The biggest drawback to these keyboard protectors are that no matter how thin they are, they do press against the screen under light pressure (when the laptop is closed) and leave smudges. You'll be cleaning your screen more often because of this. Also, you're closing off any possible ventilation from the keyboard but I can honestly say this hasn't been an issue for the nearly 10 years I've used these for.

Ah, got you. Thanks for the explanation.

I was interested in it hoping it would stop the oil being transferred from the keyboard to the screen. I'm a bit OCD about screen cleanliness. I get distracted when I see stuff on it.

Would anyone have recommendations on how to keep oil being transferred to the screen when the lid is closed? I usually carry around a microfiber and wipe down the keyboard before closing the lid, but a more convenient solution would be nice

Last edited:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
After using these keyboard covers since college, I can say they serve two purposes really well:
- Preventing the keys from getting the shiny/oily look when the coating starts rubbing off after normal usage. This is purely cosmetic, but I absolutely hate seeing that shiny look on the keys.
- Those nasty crumbles that can get in between the keys, where you swore to yourself you'd never eat near your laptop, but inevitably do so.

The biggest drawback to these keyboard protectors are that no matter how thin they are, they do press against the screen under light pressure (when the laptop is closed) and leave smudges. You'll be cleaning your screen more often because of this. Also, you're closing off any possible ventilation from the keyboard but I can honestly say this hasn't been an issue for the nearly 10 years I've used these for.

I use keyboard covers too, in all my mbp through the years.
Besides of the points you mentioned, I discovered that it seems that my typing causes some keys to really wear off, after a couple of years. It is awful to see totally black keys without knowing what is the corresponding letter!
So these keyboard covers, prevent this.

I am thinking on new mbp, to obtain the habit, for the first time in my mac history,
to remove keyboard cover when I close the screen/lid.
A little bit of mess, but everything seems so tight in these machines,
that I do not want to damage the screen or make the lid not to close after a couple of years.
Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: madisonm

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Hi,

I looks like the 2021 Macbook Pro 16 inch fits the 16inch Macbook Pro leather sleeve from Apple. I got some photo’s from someone on Reddit and he said that the fit is good. It only sticks out just a tiny tiny bit. He also mentioned it takes a few days with the Macbook in it to loose up the sleeve.

Hope this helps!! I think i will grap one at a discount price!
Do you know if the sleeve already was used and therefore loose, or if it’s completely new.
I’ve been using my one for two years and it is there for loose (and used as well), but it fit he same as the picture.
The fit is acceptable for me, but I’m thinking about buying another new one also. I’m just scared that it will be so tight that it will be impossible to loose with the new MacBooks. I remember it being very tight at first for my previous 16 inch MacBook Pro.

Jára Tyky

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
This fits 16 inch great as well but I am little bit worried about magnrtic cases destroying computer electronics

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
I travel quite a bit and a backpack works best for me but know it can beat up the MacBook. I know it did make a mess of my 2016. With this in mind I went with:

Top loading which is great for a backpack and it has a front compartment. I put my travel charger and cables in there. This way I can take this case out of my backpack when I am on a plane and have access to keep my tech charged. It also keeps my MBP out of the bin above me so things are not tossed on top of my backpack. Handy for when I am in the first row or the occasional international flight that does not allow any bags in the seats below the exit rows.

I etched my 2016 screen and am trying really hard not to do that again. I know a Backpack can be an issue with this. This screen protector / keyboard cover cloth covers the entire keyboard and mouse. If it helps keep my screen a little more protected, yay.

I think some might want a more youthful backpack but I had a smaller version of this bag for my 2016 and it really does a nice job and looks nice. It has compartments for your MBP and iPad but I reversed it all so my cables and accessories are in this area and the top of my MBP is facing furthest away from my back in its sleeve in the front compartment of this bag. The screen has a lot of breathing room in this configuration and as mentioned above I remove the sleeve with the MBP in it from the backpack when I am flying. Some airplane seats can squish down onto a backpack so I try my best to try to avoid this situation when possible.

It's all new right now. Hopefully I can check back in months from now and say its all working and my screen is looking ok.

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Just bought the Waterfield/SF bags neoprene sleeve. Let's see how it turns out- people on the forums here seem to love their stuff. $39 is not bad at all for a reputable vendor, rather than taking a chance with stuff from amazon.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I went with the old standby, the Tomtoc case for my MBP 16 inch.

51663503354_2298c57a9b.jpg

Perfectly snug exact fit, with cushioning all around.

51663503229_b7dc9736e3.jpg

That comes with a nice little accessory case.

ArneMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
Do you know if the sleeve already was used and therefore loose, or if it’s completely new.
I’ve been using my one for two years and it is there for loose (and used as well), but it fit he same as the picture.
The fit is acceptable for me, but I’m thinking about buying another new one also. I’m just scared that it will be so tight that it will be impossible to loose with the new MacBooks. I remember it being very tight at first for my previous 16 inch MacBook Pro.
Hi, yes it was brand new, completely new. He mentioned that it will loose up after a few days with the new 2021 macbook inside. I just orderd mine for $100, it was at a discount price :)

Hope this helps!!

Arne

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I travel quite a bit and a backpack works best for me but know it can beat up the MacBook. I know it did make a mess of my 2016. With this in mind I went with:

Top loading which is great for a backpack and it has a front compartment. I put my travel charger and cables in there. This way I can take this case out of my backpack when I am on a plane and have access to keep my tech charged. It also keeps my MBP out of the bin above me so things are not tossed on top of my backpack. Handy for when I am in the first row or the occasional international flight that does not allow any bags in the seats below the exit rows.

I etched my 2016 screen and am trying really hard not to do that again. I know a Backpack can be an issue with this. This screen protector / keyboard cover cloth covers the entire keyboard and mouse. If it helps keep my screen a little more protected, yay.

I think some might want a more youthful backpack but I had a smaller version of this bag for my 2016 and it really does a nice job and looks nice. It has compartments for your MBP and iPad but I reversed it all so my cables and accessories are in this area and the top of my MBP is facing furthest away from my back in its sleeve in the front compartment of this bag. The screen has a lot of breathing room in this configuration and as mentioned above I remove the sleeve with the MBP in it from the backpack when I am flying. Some airplane seats can squish down onto a backpack so I try my best to try to avoid this situation when possible.

It's all new right now. Hopefully I can check back in months from now and say its all working and my screen is looking ok.

I had a shaggymax cover cloth in the past in one of my mbp's.
I am not sure that it did not harmed the whole chassis.
I remember I pressed the screen/lid to close, and it could not. Not firmly, sometimes not at all.
I am not sure that it is a good choice, because macbook pros are so compact.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Just bought the Waterfield/SF bags neoprene sleeve. Let's see how it turns out- people on the forums here seem to love their stuff. $39 is not bad at all for a reputable vendor, rather than taking a chance with stuff from amazon.
Mine fits perfect. Love it. Also got the duo outback bag from them and I am thrilled!

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
May I ask you to post a pic of both when you get a chance, please? I've heard great things about them in the past and may "switch" away from Bellroy for my bag needs. LOL
My phone just died, so posting pics I won’t be able to do for a day or so. But, I have posted links to both the bag and sleeve. They are great and you can get them in the 14 or 16 size. The outback duo has compact(the one I got) for the 14” or full for the 16”.

Stevek3670

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Here are some pictures of the keyboard cover. Fit is good and is thin enough to not interfere with typing and not touch the screen when closed.

Also applied this screen protectors as well (because in the past I hated when keyboard "print" gets onto the screen when closed).

Attachments

• IMG_5099.jpeg
    IMG_5099.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_5133.jpeg
    IMG_5133.jpeg
    507 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5130.jpeg
    IMG_5130.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 353
Reactions: PikachuEXE

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I really did not knew that screen protectors exist!
So, you stick it on the surface of the screen itself?
And all good or even better, with no side effects?

I will ask for user experience about such screen protectors,
but possibly I guess only a few users will have such purchases and experiences.

Reactions: Dopestar

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I really did not knew that screen protectors exist!
So, you stick it on the surface of the screen itself?
And all good or even better, with no side effects?

I will ask for user experience about such screen protectors,
but possibly I guess only a few users will have such purchases and experiences.

I would imagine that there’s some glare and loss of clarity from the screen protectors, especially if they are a film.

I wouldn’t expect the screen protector to be made from tempered glass.

Reactions: Dopestar and cool11

Griffo569

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
I got the Tomtoc 360 for my 16 inch M1 Max -- perfect fit and great protection, but just slightly too big to fit in the laptop compartment of either of my bags...

Anyone have any suggestions for sleeves that are slightly thinner?

Seems crazy that Apple haven't released their own leather sleeves yet. The old 16" sleeve seems like it kinda fits, but is extremely tight, which isn't really okay for the price.

Just want a sleeve that fits and isn't really thick like the Tomtoc.....

Justin Mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
I contacted UAG about their cases for the MBPs and they informed me that they would not have anything ready until 2022.

F75D94B0-364D-47BE-A1E5-A1E1F5FF6CA0.jpeg

derekwg

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
I got the Tomtoc 360 for my 16 inch M1 Max -- perfect fit and great protection, but just slightly too big to fit in the laptop compartment of either of my bags...

Anyone have any suggestions for sleeves that are slightly thinner?

Seems crazy that Apple haven't released their own leather sleeves yet. The old 16" sleeve seems like it kinda fits, but is extremely tight, which isn't really okay for the price.

Just want a sleeve that fits and isn't really thick like the Tomtoc.....

Hi @Griffo569, possible to show me how does it look like when the 16” is placed inside the tomtoc360? I am thinking to get one as well. Cheers

buyusfear

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
This is a valet tray that I quickly made out of some scrap walnut. So, it’s kind of a case?
It as built entirely around my new 14" MBP. I'm so blown away with this machine that I was inspired to make something a little extra special.

I wanted something I could slide in and out from under my monitor riser, as well as take with me to the living room couch, with the ability to house the MBP, an SSD, and some memory cards etc.
I tried to match the edge radius of the MBP but backed it off a bit to a 3/16" round over which I felt looked the best in this application. Additionally, I tried to make the recessed tray a size that would accommodate both my SSd's and my favorite peripherals.

7DBB61B3-B188-42BE-87CE-21BD2A310E6E.jpeg

570F4A5A-4A40-49AC-9E55-A13C01F28121.jpeg

6C3C5F42-2929-4302-A0FD-D99FDED2C215.jpeg

CDD3EC3E-C9B7-46C8-9EA0-39895DEC540E.jpeg

KeniLF

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2020
This is a valet tray that I quickly made out of some scrap walnut. So, it’s kind of a case?
It as built entirely around my new 14" MBP. I'm so blown away with this machine that I was inspired to make something a little extra special.

I wanted something I could slide in and out from under my monitor riser, as well as take with me to the living room couch, with the ability to house the MBP, an SSD, and some memory cards etc.
I tried to match the edge radius of the MBP but backed it off a bit to a 3/16" round over which I felt looked the best in this application. Additionally, I tried to make the recessed tray a size that would accommodate both my SSd's and my favorite peripherals.

View attachment 1914340

View attachment 1914341
View attachment 1914338
View attachment 1914339
It's lovely and is absolutely not a case!

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
MOFT 16" convertible sleeve arrived yesterday. Simple sleeve that can carry the M1 MBP 16, and the case converts into a stand with 2 angle positions (15 degrees and 25 degrees). Delivery took about 2 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1071.jpeg
    IMG_1071.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1072.jpeg
    IMG_1072.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 165
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.