Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 229 50.9%

• Total voters

DeltaEchoBlue

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2016
I just got my 2016 MBP repaired with the backlight service program for free. However, I am aware that this issue will possibly get back again after a few years.

Any advice on what I can do to prevent this again? It was said that this failure is caused by the repeated opening and closing of the lid. Since I work off a desk, I'm planning to keep the lid open instead of closing it, do you think this could help it hold long a little longer before I upgrade to a new machine? Or does the opened lid just worsen (as in this state, it's considered to be much "tighter").

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!

isd_glory

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2003
Rochester, NY
While the 2019 models were supposedly fixed, I've got a 16-inch MBP that's started exhibiting the "stage lighting" effect over the last few weeks.

It's fortunately under warranty, but let's hope that this is an isolated issue, not the beginning of another wave of cable failures.

Attachments

• backlight.jpg
    backlight.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 158

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
While the 2019 models were supposedly fixed, I've got a 16-inch MBP that's started exhibiting the "stage lighting" effect over the last few weeks.

It's fortunately under warranty, but let's hope that this is an isolated issue, not the beginning of another wave of cable failures.

I can't believe that I'm seeing this problem in a modern machine. My 2008 MacBook Pro 17 had this problem. I have a 2007 MacBook Pro 15 with this problem now (I need to clean it and bring it to The Apple Store to recycle). My 2014 and 2015 MacBook Pros do not exhibit these at all. Once fix, it should stay fixed.

Jkensall

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
I have a MBP 13inch 2017 model with Touch Bar. Extremely disappointed to have the same issue as so many of you’ve had. Just had a quote of $900CAD+ to fix it. I could almost buy 3 x 60inch led screens for that.

Premium product that lasted 2.5 years - that’s messed up and not what I paid $2.5k for. Not to mention that this MBP has had a very easy life and well looked after.

Wondering if there is somewhere I can formally log a complaint for legal action?

Can’t find much information on anyone fixing this issue themselves. Does anyone have some helpful links they would like to share?
Thank you
I have same problem. Can’t even see the icons in the dock any more. Why won’t the 2016 programme cover the 2017 models? It’s clearly the same problem. How can we get this through to Apple?

Reactions: monokakata

Jkensall

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
I have a 2017 MBP 13” with the same issue. This device has had a very easy life and seldom left a desk. It has been back for other issues twice to Apple previously (keyboard replacement due to faulty keys).

I spoke with a senior advisor who told me to send it off to an authorised service centre for diagnostics (this cost me £30) as once the issue was confirmed they may be able to repair / replace due to my previous issues. The service centre confirmed the hardware issue and said that a screen replacement was required.

I got back in touch with the Apple representative; she today informed me that this would cost me over £450 to replace.

Of course I don’t expect devices to last forever. However, two and a half years for a well-looked after premium product is not acceptable. I have been brand loyal up until. now. This will be the last Apple product that I buy. Very disappointed.
Totally agree, I have the same problem. I can’t see the icons on the dock any more. this is my first Mac and it hasn’t even lasted as long as a Sony PC that cost less than one quarter of the price. How can a company sell a machine for £2,500 and only have to guarantee it will work for one year? Come back Steve Jobs

Tomderave

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
I'm having the same problem with my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2016. A few weeks ago the stage lights appeared and since today the screen starts to gradually go dark when I open the computer. So the same problem as everyone else in this thread has. I wonder if there's a free service for this by now because it's obviously a design error from apple and so many people are affected by it.

Jkensall

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
I'm having the same problem with my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2016. A few weeks ago the stage lights appeared and since today the screen starts to gradually go dark when I open the computer. So the same problem as everyone else in this thread has. I wonder if there's a free service for this by now because it's obviously a design error from apple and so many people are affected by it.
Yes. There is. They will fix yours for free. Frustratingly mine is a 2017 with the same problem but they won’t fix it. Work that out?

maroony

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
I have a MacBook Pro 15“ 2016 with this issue. It‘s annoying that Apple only fixes the 13“ one!

Colin8

macrumors member
May 12, 2014
I have a MacBook Pro 15“ 2016 with this issue. It‘s annoying that Apple only fixes the 13“ one!

Are you based in the UK? My 15" 2016 had flexgate a little over a month ago - and I am now typing on a brand new 16" given to me free of charge under consumer law. Needless to say, a big upgrade!

maroony

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Are you based in the UK? My 15" 2016 had flexgate a little over a month ago - and I am now typing on a brand new 16" given to me free of charge under consumer law. Needless to say, a big upgrade!

No, I‘m based in Germany. My MacBook is now over 4 years old. Do you have Apple care?

Colin8

macrumors member
May 12, 2014
No, I‘m based in Germany. My MacBook is now over 4 years old. Do you have Apple care?
I’m not sure - maybe Germany/EU has similar Consumer Law protections as the UK? Definitely do some research. My laptop was 4.5 years old at the time of replacement and I never had AppleCare either.

Reactions: acidliam

Tomderave

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Yes. There is. They will fix yours for free. Frustratingly mine is a 2017 with the same problem but they won’t fix it. Work that out?
It's indeed very frustrating for you! But I'm not sure if they will fix mine for free either because it's a 15 inch and from what I read they only fix the 13 inch for free.

Ahmedista

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
I have a MacBook Pro 2017 non-touchbar and It's has been the worst purchase I've ever made. I'm suffering from flexgate issue and Apple won't even acknowledge this problem. A problem that Apple already made a recall program for 2016 models only.

This is from a recent chat with Apple Support.

Screenshot from 2021-02-10 18-58-30.png

This is really frustrating to have a device that cost much having serous design flaws and Apple want us to pay for the repair. Such problems like:

- Stage Light / Flexgate
- Butterfly keyboard
- SSD problems
- And recently battery problems

Last edited:

ShellDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
It's been quite some time since I've checked this thread. I was one of the "first batch" 2017 15" MBP failures, fixed while still under warranty.

I traded in my 2017 MBP mid-year last year for a 16" with more RAM and the new old keyboard. Gawd, I hated the keyboard on my 2017 MBP.

Apple gave me a decent price on my trade-in. After a couple months short of 1 year usage on my 16" I have not seen any stagelight and would like to think the longer cable solved this longer term.

acidliam

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2021

Hi Colin,

Out of interest what route did you take to get this? I've got a Genius bar appointment next week and I want to arm myself with the best knowledge to get my screen sorted. So disappointed in Apple denying there is an issue with the 15" when its clearly the exact same problem as in the 13"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomderave

Tomderave

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Hi Coli,

Out of interest what route did you take to get this? I've got a Genius bar appointment next week and I want to arm myself with the best knowledge to get my screen sorted. So disappointed in Apple denying there is an issue with the 15" when its clearly the exact same problem as in the 13"
I'm interested in that as well. I just received a quote from my local Apple repair to fix my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2016 with flexgate and it's a whopping 963 euros!!

simpsons_engineering

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2021
I just got my 2016 MBP repaired with the backlight service program for free. However, I am aware that this issue will possibly get back again after a few years.

Any advice on what I can do to prevent this again? It was said that this failure is caused by the repeated opening and closing of the lid. Since I work off a desk, I'm planning to keep the lid open instead of closing it, do you think this could help it hold long a little longer before I upgrade to a new machine? Or does the opened lid just worsen (as in this state, it's considered to be much "tighter").

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!
Delta, is your MBP under extended warranty? just wondering if Apple offered you for free.. where are you located? USA?

Colin8

macrumors member
May 12, 2014
Hi Colin,

I'm interested in that as well. I just received a quote from my local Apple repair to fix my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2016 with flexgate and it's a whopping 963 euros!!

I dealt with Apple through the online chat function; initially only offered a fix if I paid £700 for a new display. I escalated this as I was simply unhappy paying so much for an issue which is a design error (as proven by the 13" recall and multiple stories of the same issues plaguing the 15"). A few days later I got a telephone call from Apple's HQ in Ireland and discussed the issue with them - from then on they were really helpful and I didn't even need to mention consumer law - the advisor recommended a free-of-charge display replacement and put me on hold while it was sorted out. They got back to me saying they will just ship me a brand new 16" instead, under consumer law.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they did this. It is exceedingly generous and I was only after a free repair!

If your machine has a previous repair history, try and work that into the conversation describing it as 'unfit for purpose' (i.e a £2500 laptop should not need a new display, keyboard etc. within 3 years) and that may trigger consumer law.

I believe you could also argue the 'satisfactory quality' clause as shown by the number of articles on the issue, and that the same component is replaced for free in the 13" model, shows there is an inherent fault.

Most importantly though I think it comes down to luck - who your Advisor is- along with your attitude. If you behave like someone they want to help, I think they will go the extra mile for you.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
My 2016 15" TB MacBook Pro has developed this dreaded problem. Apple chat support states only 2016 13" models are covered by their out of warranty repair program. This is a terrible policy. They should cover everyone facing this issue. Out of warranty display replacement cost is almost the same current value of the machine.

wcambr

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2021
Same problem here, already for the second time.
- I bought my MBP 2016 13' in March 2017
- November 2018 (less than 2 year later): screen issues. Luckily the store replaced it as it was still under 2-year warranty.
- November 2020 (now 2 years later): again the same screen issues. Apparently, my issue does not fall under the backlight service program, as the backlight is still working and the problem would be only the video connection/input.
I believe this is, however, the same underlying problem (flexconnector), as I experienced the same issues when opening the screen too wide would give me a black screen. At the end, this already happened at 20° opening.

I can get it repaired for almost 800 euro, which I am not willing to pay for it ...

Mc0

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
Anyone here with 2019 mbp 13” having this issue? From what I read late 2018 model or newer models are fixed.My brothers laptop is having display issue but I don’t know if it’s the flex cable. The display flickers when you open it. We went to a service center and was told to pay for a display replacement but its too expensive so we just brought the laptop with us. We’re hoping this can be covered by Apple free repair program.

fyfer

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
2016 machine, 15-inch screen, and Apple tells me if it were a 13-inch screen the display problem would be repaired. But not for my 15-inch screen. Colin8, I have been asserting all along my 2015 Consumer Rights Law 5-year warranty rights, and it is being denied by both Apple (the manufacturer) and Stormfront (the retailer).
I've emailed BBC MoneyBox, a consumer rights watchdog. Anyone in the UK, I'd urge you to write them as well. We simply shouldn't be facing £800 repair bills. (My computer cost £2700 in 2017 -- at this rate of expenditure, it's more expensive than my car!)

fyfer

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
I dealt with Apple through the online chat function; initially only offered a fix if I paid £700 for a new display. I escalated this as I was simply unhappy paying so much for an issue which is a design error (as proven by the 13" recall and multiple stories of the same issues plaguing the 15"). A few days later I got a telephone call from Apple's HQ in Ireland and discussed the issue with them - from then on they were really helpful and I didn't even need to mention consumer law - the advisor recommended a free-of-charge display replacement and put me on hold while it was sorted out. They got back to me saying they will just ship me a brand new 16" instead, under consumer law.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they did this. It is exceedingly generous and I was only after a free repair!

If your machine has a previous repair history, try and work that into the conversation describing it as 'unfit for purpose' (i.e a £2500 laptop should not need a new display, keyboard etc. within 3 years) and that may trigger consumer law.

I believe you could also argue the 'satisfactory quality' clause as shown by the number of articles on the issue, and that the same component is replaced for free in the 13" model, shows there is an inherent fault.

Most importantly though I think it comes down to luck - who your Advisor is- along with your attitude. If you behave like someone they want to help, I think they will go the extra mile for you.
Colin8,
Thanks for sharing your encouraging experience. Did you buy the machine direct from Apple, or did you go through a retailer?
And is there any chance you might be willing to be contacted about this, for example by Trading Standards? Stormfront has refused my consumer law claim for my 2016 15-inch laptop's repair. Apple at first said they could do nothing, but eventually tried to initiate a Consumer Rights Law warranty claim; but they said it could not be 'activated' because Apple wasn't the retailer.

Stormfront is the retailer and is refusing the Consumer Rights warranty saying that Apple hasn't designated it on their service list as a known fault, therefore the laptop has no inherent fault.

I don't know where to go from here other than Trading Standards, and consumer watchdogs like MoneyBox and Which.co.uk.

Many thanks,
Fyfer

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.