Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
No problems with mine. I use a microfiber cloth by itself most of the time and use a spray designated for computer screens every now and then. I’ve only had the computer a week.

When you say paper towels and water how are you applying water? Did you fill a spray bottle with water just for this purpose? Are you sure it wasn't Windex or alcohol based? I’ve seen what Windex can do to a TV screen. It’s pretty harsh.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
From what factory and date code yours is?
Just to make sure there is not issue with certain batch and factory?

Have you checked the screen when computer is turned off with bright light like led flashlight to make sure there is not even hairline scratched from wiping the screen?

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
From what factory and date code yours is?
Just to make sure there is not issue with certain batch and factory?

Have you checked the screen when computer is turned off with bright light like led flashlight to make sure there is not even hairline scratched from wiping the screen?

Mine is from the F factory. Not with it at the moment can’t look at the date.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
So yours is from Foxconn. Mine is from Quanta like OP. I hope there is no particular issues with depending on the factory. There was already discussion about keyboard feel and sound and those who had F factory unit did not see any of the issues I mentioned with mine (so maybe even keyboards are different between the two). If it is a spray on coating, I suppose factory manufacturing the units apply it?

Edit. I just realized you was one of the mentioned MBP owners regarding keyboard issues I mentioned. But yeah, there could be some differencies between factories about parts.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
That coating is really soft. My screen was covered with dust after couple days of use, so I tried to wipe it off as gently as possible and now I found third scratch on the screen. It must be from wiping the screen.
How the heck are we supposed to clean these if my method is too hard for the screen? I used delicate optics grade microfibre cloth that is stored in its own bag between uses and I folded it to about folded postcard size and then hold it on the edge and wiped the screen with other edge, just gently sweeps like from center to edge without pressing the cloth against the screen. I don’t know how I could do it any more carefully?

Third scratch again is hairline scratch that shows up in bright light when inspecting the screen.
I pretty sure it was not there before.

Also I managed to get couple small smudges on the screen while I was wiping dust off it. Not sure where they came, looked a lot like what OP posted here today but I was able to remove then with just breathing some moisture on the screen and then gently wipe with he same microfibre cloth I used to remove dust and they came off.

I had no issues like this with my Air 2018. It was from F factory. I wonder if they use more durable coatings there, or is there coating at all in Air? I wiped it countless times without single scratch.

Last edited:

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
That coating is really soft. My screen was covered with dust after couple days of use, so I tried to wipe it off as gently as possible and now I found third scratch on the screen. It must be from wiping the screen.
How the heck are we supposed to clean these if my method is too hard for the screen? I used delicate optics grade microfibre cloth that is stored in its own bag between uses and I folded it to about folded postcard size and then hold it on the edge and wiped the screen with other edge, just gently sweeps like from center to edge without pressing the cloth against the screen. I don’t know how I could do it any more carefully?

Third scratch again is hairline scratch that shows up in bright light when inspecting the screen.
I pretty sure it was not there before.

Also I managed to get couple small smudges on the screen while I was wiping off it. Not sure where they came, looked a lot like what OP posted here today but I was able to remove then with just breathing some moisture on the screen and then gently wipe with he same microfibre cloth I used to remove dust and they came off.

“Shows up in bright light”. That’s the key right there. I have read a fair amount about people who are very OCD about their Apple products. If you can stay away from the bright lights it may not be as noticeable or bother you.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Yeah I know. My point was just that obviously coating gets scratches from gently wiping when removing dust. My Air did not get them at all, which is odd.

Just out of interest since you have f factory unit, could you check your screen with some bright light like led flashlight when computer is turned off. Look at many angles to make sure you see if there are any.
This just for that we can see are there sscratches on all of them if they are inspected carefully enough. I know most peoples never much pay attention to screen when it is turned off but this time just for testing purposes.

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
Yeah I know. My point was just that obviously coating gets scratches from gently wiping when removing dust. My Air did not get them at all, which is odd.

Just out of interest since you have f factory unit, could you check your screen with some bright light like led flashlight when computer is turned off. Look at many angles to make sure you see if there are any.
This just for that we can see are there sscratches on all of them if they are inspected carefully enough. I know most peoples never much pay attention to screen when it is turned off but this time just for testing purposes.

Just by looking at my screen in regular light I can see a few swirls and hairline marks like you would see on car paint. Does not Bother me or affect my use. Sitting here in a dark room with just the light from my display it looks fantastic. Thats all I care about.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
So there are some real hairline scratches in your unit too? Do they look like they are permanently on the coating or are they just dirt marks/streaks from cleaning fluid that can be "rubbed" off or go away after cleaning again?

Do they looks like this (see lower right corner). That's photo of the first scratch I noticed few days ago.
This scratch shows up when bright light comes from certain angle, so it is not visible all the time but can be found easily just by moving you head to certain position in good lightning.

Since this scratch I found another almost identical on the opposite side of the screen. Third one I noticed yesterday is longer just below the one on the photo but it is much harder to see.

AR coating itself is interesting looking when viewing it under good light at angles.

scratch.jpg

Last edited:

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
So there are some real hairline scratches in your unit too? Do they look like they are permanently on the coating or are they just dirt marks/streaks from cleaning fluid that can be "rubbed" off or go away after cleaning again?

Do they looks like this (see lower right corner). That's photo of the first scratch I noticed few days ago.
This scratch shows up when bright light comes from certain angle, so it is not visible all the time but can be found easily just by moving you head to certain position in good lightning.

Since this scratch I found another almost identical on the opposite side of the screen. Third one I noticed yesterday is longer just below the one on the photo but it is much harder to see.

AR coating itself is interesting looking when viewing it under good light at angles.

View attachment 850786

Yes hairline marks... and I don't care. The laptop works fine. It looks great, and I am happy. No need to get out the magnifying glass and black lights.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
So you already have some hairline scratches as in the photo I posted?

Interesting if coating is so fragile.

In just couple weeks first noticeable marks. I've had many computers without scratches on the screen even after many years of use.

I wonder why my Air 2018 screen did not have any? I had it a little longer than I have had my Pro now and I used exactly the same cloths I've used with my Pro and I did actually clean my Air much more careless by wiping the screen very often. Before returning it, I cleaned the screen and checked it with led flashlight to make sure no mark on the display causing possible problems returning the unit but there was absolutely NONE. Is AR coating simply more durable in Air?

I also thought that since my Air was from F-factory that maybe they have better coatings used in that factory (my Pro is from C-factory) but since your Pro is from F-factory and has the same hairline scratches, I guess it is not that reason...

Jac Robinson

macrumors member
May 10, 2019
Got the point on paper towel by now. But still, you would expect minor scratches then. I would have learned my lesson and moved on, but this is simply unacceptable.

On the right side I never used the paper towel, also has the scratches.
1) left side where i used the paper towel in the corner, I immediately stopped when I noticed it got worse
2) right side where I never cleaned with anything
[doublepost=1564501867][/doublepost]

It's the 1.4 i5. Off topic: big fan of the touch bar. Read a lot of negative comments but I like it.

Glad you like the Touch Bar! I would love to try using it for my custom shortcuts.

That is definitely staingate. I had it on my 2015 MacBook Pro earlier this year. I just had to call Apple for a display issue and they took care of everything free of charge.

Last I knew, all Retina display MacBooks are covered for 4 years from the date of purchase. Apple no longer has a public support document about it. (The last public support document on it covered the 2017 MacBook Pros) The issue is still recognized internally. Employees are not allowed to recognize it via online chat. You may have to call more than once.

Here is the last time Macrumors mentioned this issue:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
One interesting thing I noticed with mine is that for some reason to upper left part of the screen appear always on the same position couple small stain like marks (like what OP posted here but much smaller). They go away with just light swipe with microfibre cloth but they are back a while after machine has been closed with lid shut. I think it must be from closing the lid. Area that stains appear on the screen are about the area where left arm rest parts is on the lower chassis.

I have examined display panel rubber seal and it looks fine and I also checked screen and lower chassis around that location for possible twisting or such that would cause the two to touch when closed but I did not find anything obvious.

Anyway, those stains are rather small (the longest one is like 1/3" long) and do show when looking at screen carefully, mostly when it is turned off. They don't bother me. I just like to check if this is something normal and should not cause any bigger issues later?

By the way, did OP got stain problem resolved yet?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Airs have different screens. The old Air had a low res screen made like a 2011 or earlier MBP. They might not have scratched as easily, but the resolution, glare, and brightness were terrible.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Yeah, I know old Air had different screen but I was referring to Air 2018 (Retina) which, at least to me, appeared to have very similar looking surface but I could not make single scratch on it with the same cleaning methods I've used for my MBP. That's why I was wondering if Air 2018 and MBP 2019 really use different different coatings?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yeah, I know old Air had different screen but I was referring to Air 2018 (Retina) which, at least to me, appeared to have very similar looking surface but I could not make single scratch on it with the same cleaning methods I've used for my MBP. That's why I was wondering if Air 2018 and MBP 2019 really use different different coatings?

Not sure how the coatings or panels are different. But, the 2018 Air screen has a smaller color gamut (100% sRGB vs 165%) and is a less bright screen (340 nits vs 420 nits), so there are some definite physical differences, probably to decrease the cost.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Yes I know that, because one of the reasons for me to get Pro was the screen. Not really that big of a difference in everyday use but it is still nice to have some extra brightness in case I ever need it, and P3 color is nice extra, not that there is much that material either where to use it but still.

Anyway, regarding coating between Air 2018 and entry MBP 2019, visually they both appear identical. Just for some reason coating seemed tougher on the Air, but maybe was pure luck. Or then there are slight differences between what factory unit is made. My Air was from Foxconn plant but my MBP is from Quanta. I'm not sure if they apply the coating during they build these notebooks or do the came with the coating from the panel maker.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yes I know that, because one of the reasons for me to get Pro was the screen. Not really that big of a difference in everyday use but it is still nice to have some extra brightness in case I ever need it, and P3 color is nice extra, not that there is much that material either where to use it but still.

Anyway, regarding coating between Air 2018 and entry MBP 2019, visually they both appear identical. Just for some reason coating seemed tougher on the Air, but maybe was pure luck. Or then there are slight differences between what factory unit is made. My Air was from Foxconn plant but my MBP is from Quanta. I'm not sure if they apply the coating during they build these notebooks or do the came with the coating from the panel maker.

I would bet the panels come coated from the panel manufacturer. You would want the panel to be as clean as possible when applying the coating, so it makes sense to apply it at the manufacture of the panel, or even before. Then the assemblers can just mate the display with the rest of the computer. I have no way of knowing if that is what they do, by it makes logical sense.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I agree, it would make much more sense that panels come with coatings. But hard to imagine why there are then sometimes these coating / staining issues since I would expect panel makers to have machines and very restricted environments and procedures where and how they make these to minimize differences between batches.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I agree, it would make much more sense that panels come with coatings. But hard to imagine why there are then sometimes these coating / staining issues since I would expect panel makers to have machines and very restricted environments and procedures where and how they make these to minimize differences between batches.

My guess is the Air and MacBook Pro are speced for different coatings. But unless some sort of microscopic analysis is performed there is no way of knowing, since Apple or the panel manufacturer is no going to give away the recipe.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Could be. Maybe coating in Pro's has other features besides ar too. I guess coating has something to do with the high brightness too, make it more directional improve brightness when viewed straight.

rvleurin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
Belgium
Update: the guy in the service center recommended to return it, since I had the return shipping label anyway. It seems likely I’ll get my full refund.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Update: the guy in the service center recommended to return it, since I had the return shipping label anyway. It seems likely I’ll get my full refund.
It's hard to tell for sure from looking at your photos, but from someone with a late 2013 MBP that actually does have the anti-reflective coating coming off ... yours just looks like grease/oil/sweat marks.

With a soft cloth and some mild soapy water (a tiny drop of washing up liquid in a bowl of water - not directly on the cloth), clean the screen, and then do it again but just with water (to remove any residual soap) and if it is grease it'll come off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.