Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Update: the guy in the service center recommended to return it, since I had the return shipping label anyway. It seems likely I’ll get my full refund.
Did they mean there is ar-coating problems in this batch date?

ivanahtannica

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2020
I know this is an old thread but I just got a new Macbook and tried cleaning its screen with a microfiber cloth sprayed with VERY little water just as Apple suggested but they didn't seem to do a good job at all. In fact, it kind of seemed like they spread even more grease instead. So. like with all my other gadgets, I then tried using a "magic" or "invisible" tape (the ones that look frosted) to clean the screen. As expected, they worked flawlessly. I highly recommend this method. They remove grease, oil, and dust effectively and have just the right amount of stickiness so as not to damage any kind of coating. The only reason I didn't do that the first time was the larger size of the screen. It would take quite a while to clean the whole screen this way. But normally, you just want to clean some parts of the screen anyway. I just wanted to share in case it helps somebody.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
If the screen is very greasy I found it takes a lot of gentle rubbing with a micro fibre cloth before the grease comes off. The first thing that happens is generally that you push it around.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
I know this is an old thread but I just got a new Macbook and tried cleaning its screen with a microfiber cloth sprayed with VERY little water just as Apple suggested but they didn't seem to do a good job at all. In fact, it kind of seemed like they spread even more grease instead. So. like with all my other gadgets, I then tried using a "magic" or "invisible" tape (the ones that look frosted) to clean the screen. As expected, they worked flawlessly. I highly recommend this method. They remove grease, oil, and dust effectively and have just the right amount of stickiness so as not to damage any kind of coating. The only reason I didn't do that the first time was the larger size of the screen. It would take quite a while to clean the whole screen this way. But normally, you just want to clean some parts of the screen anyway. I just wanted to share in case it helps somebody.
Hi Ivanah. Apple recommends using a lint-free cloth rather than microfiber cloth. Some microfiber cloths are essentially washcloths and could potentially damage the screen. Lint-free cloths are different than microfiber cloths. They are generally small, shiny, and very fine. They look sort of like silk. I would recommend against using tape even if it cleans the screen and seemingly causes no damage. I use a lint-free cloth to clean my screen (sometimes dampened, sometimes dry) and it does an excellent job. Here are the ones I use.

EDIT: I did some googling and it seems that the two are not mutually exclusive. I'm no fabric expert but just make sure that whatever cloth you use is lint-free.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.