Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
As the Mac App store gains speed, things like "bundling" will become less and less likely.

The Mac App Store doesn't mean $%$%.

I'm seeing devs pulling their apps from the store after being frustrated with it's slow approval process and other limitations, and there are many apps, particular system level utilities like TechTool Pro, that will NEVER be in the MAS.

On top of that, the force power of bundling is stronger than the MAS, because there are MAS developers who have been selling their apps via non-bundle bundles, like TwoDollarTuesday and ZeroNinetyNine:

http://twodollartues.com

http://zeroninetynine.com

----------

The two we've had this year (this and MacHeist) have been really disappointing.

It's the quality of the apps they're including...

As if the iOS or OS X app stores are full of quality stuff. Have you not noticed the proliferation of one-trick crap apps that have flooded the Apple ecosystem since the original store was launched for the iPhone? The amount of junk is freaking mind-boggling.

And overall, MacHeist 4 ended up being pretty decent in the end, when you include all the free apps plus the ones from the actual bundle. That was a good amount of software for only $29.

----------

Howdy y'all, I'm Nate, the founder and co-owner of MacLegion...if you have a suggestions on what apps you'd like to see in an upcoming bundle or just feel like telling me what a crappy job I've been doing...

Actually, despite the criticism of this specific bundle, MacLegion has been doing a very good job. Yours is one of the best Mac bundle sites out there, not only for the quality of apps, but the professionalism you exhibit which garners trust.

----------

You can easily turn this around - why does OS X include a FREE DVD player while Windows doesn't?

Windows does include a free DVD player, it's called Windows Media Player.

What Windows doesn't include by default are the codecs required to display the content on a DVD. For that you need a FREE codec pack, or you can use a FREE third-party player with the codecs built-in.

----------

Thanks Nate, I really appreciate your posting here.

Might you consider "theme" bundles - e.g., Graphic/Photo bundle, Internet bundle, Games bundle, Tech bundle, etc...

DiskWarrior would be awesome.

Their last bundle, which just ended a week or two ago, was a game bundle.

And DiskWarrior will NEVER be included in a bundle. The developers of that software are elitist pricks who think that sunshine comes out of their ass, so they would never lower themselves to playing the bundle game.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Years ago, I was a full time graphic designer I used Freeway but that was when some web projects could still be sensibly done as a bunch of static web pages. It was actually the best of the 'visual' editors, which were generally pretty awful with basket-case HTML generated.

I din't even know it still existed. From Googling it doesn't seem to be massively integrated into the modern CMS world.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
the biggest problem with this stuff is what happens afterward, when you get locked out of updates, or the developer decides they are only selling on the mac appstore and there is no way to verify your previous license... you just lose the software.

JoeBillings

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
From Googling it doesn't seem to be massively integrated into the modern CMS world.

Hey Macist, Joe from Softpress here. While there's noting built-in to Freeway Pro, there are a bunch of plugins that'll let you do this. From simpler CMSs like WebYep, through to more complex ones like Joomla!

Plus, you can always just manually add the code required to integrate the CMS into your site directly in Freeway.

MacLegion

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Boulder, CO
the biggest problem with this stuff is what happens afterward, when you get locked out of updates, or the developer decides they are only selling on the mac appstore and there is no way to verify your previous license... you just lose the software.

Actually, this isn't the case with MacLegion. Everything you buy from MacLegion is EXACTLY as if you purchase directly from the developers themselves. You get full upgrade paths along with support. Bottom line, if you purchase from MacLegion you're taking no more risk than you would be by purchasing directly from the developers. We guarantee it.

Nate

MacLegion

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Boulder, CO
Thanks Nate, I really appreciate your posting here.

Might you consider "theme" bundles - e.g., Graphic/Photo bundle, Internet bundle, Games bundle, Tech bundle, etc...

DiskWarrior would be awesome.

Hi Bertman - yeah we're definitely gonna' put together some themed bundles down the road. We're currently in the process of redesigning the account pages and launching a new sister site that will offer some different types of deals (all Mac related). Thanks for the suggestion, sign up for our newsletter and we'll keep you in the loop. Thanks for your support.

Nate

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Naysayers will always be there...

I was attracted to this bundle for TTP, Freeway Pro, iRip and RipIt. Had TTP many years ago, and wanted it for my new rMBP. Now to find the way to make a bootable DVD....

Freeway Pro at the bundle price was worth it as I explore getting back to having a webpage, and hated the add $ here approach of Rapidweaver. Never liked iWeb, so we will see how much I like Freeway.... but sure I will like re-learning HTML....

iRip is one of those limited use programs for those of us that are unorganized.

RipIt promises to be an easy transition for many of us wanting to have our DVD's on our HDD. There may be other Mac programs out there that are better, but as a bundle I am willing to give it a try. Who knows on the next bundle with a better ripper, I might add it to my DVD toolkit.

In the end $50 for what I want to use is not a bad deal. And buying through Macrumors helps them as well....

MacLegion

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Boulder, CO
I was attracted to this bundle for TTP, Freeway Pro, iRip and RipIt. Had TTP many years ago, and wanted it for my new rMBP. Now to find the way to make a bootable DVD....

Howdy Chip NoVaMac,

To download and create your bootable DVD for TechTool Pro 6 please follow the directions below:

[1] register your copy of TechTool Pro 6 here: http://www.micromat.com/index.php?o...page=shop.registration&vmcchk=1&Itemid=100017

[2] once you've registered your copy of TechTool Pro 6 your Micromat account will show the download url for the DVD

[3] download the DVD file

[3] follow the instructions here: http://www.micromat.com/techtool-pro-6-knowledgebase/how-do-i-create-a-bootable-dvd

Nate

dlweninger

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Help Please

I purchased this bundle when it came out, My hard drive died and I had to repair my iMac. How do I recover this bundle. Thanks

dlweninger

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
I did, but when I got my computer back they wiped the drive and restored to lion, but it had mountain lion installed when i gave it to them. So I updated to Mountain lion, plugged in my two 4tb drives and it corrupted my media drive, so now I'm scared to hook up my backup drive so that it doesn't destroy that as well.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
If the external drive actually did get corrupted you have some more serious problems with you computer than this software bundle!

dlweninger

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Yes the problem is Maverick and external hard drives, the same problem tens of thousands of other people are having with Maverick reformatting hard drives

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
WD drives and using WD software (which wasn't compatible with Mavericks)? That's the only problem I've heard. Get rid of the WD software and you should be fine.

dlweninger

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
I don't own a WD drive, I own Lacie thunderbolt drives and I'm not running any of there software.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Yeah, I just looked and some Lacie drives are also affected. Can't find any mention of cure for the Lacie drives. Only advice I've seen is to remove any vendor software, try reading on a pre-Mavericks system, and try fsck to recover. I can't offer any other advice and didn't have the problem myself -- my only Lacie drives are FW and all the externals I've got (over a dozen) went to Mavericks with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.