Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Your post is above my level so I am trying to digest and learned. If above is the desired result, what is the different if I simply use the CCC backup non bootable volume, and restored from the same snapshot then re-start the Mac?
You can't do a full restore of the volume you're booted from, you can only restore individual files. Hence the need for a bootable backup. You can boot from Recovery and do a full restore, but you would have to use Disk Utilities to do it (because there is no CCC on the Recovery), and it would do a full erase and restore of the Data volume, therefore take a lot longer.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
That´s correct. Using the 4th and then second option. Don´t forget to uninstall first root patches. If not, it will give you error.
Hi trifero,

Finally got around to running CCC in Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant. Everything appeared to go well until I tried selecting the external volume, which was the target (USB - realize that you warned about this, but have always been able to boot properly to a USB connected external when using CCC 5).

Before running CCC in Legacy Bootable mode, reverted the root patches, but didn't reboot when asked. Was that correct not to reboot ? Seems if I rebooted at that point, running CCC , or doing almost anything in the GUI, would have been difficult.

Next, Option-booted, selected the external, but eventually it went to the no access symbol, and had to force shutdown.

Can you explain what might have gone wrong, if it wasn't the USB booting issue?

EDIT: You also wrote, "That's correct. Using the 4th and then second option." No idea what those options are that you referred to, can you please explain.

Also the name of the target disk is now WD10EZEX(2)USB VENTURA BOOTABLE - Data. The initial name before running CCC was simply WD10EZEX(2)USB VENTURA BOOTABLE. Does that suggest something gone wrong?

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Hi trifero,

Finally got around to running CCC in Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant. Everything appeared to go well until I tried selecting the external volume, which was the target (USB - realize that you warned about this, but have always been able to boot properly to a USB connected external when using CCC 5).

Before running CCC in Legacy Bootable mode, reverted the root patches, but didn't reboot when asked. Was that correct not to reboot ? Seems if I rebooted at that point, running CCC , or doing almost anything in the GUI, would have been difficult.

Next, Option-booted, selected the external, but eventually it went to the no access symbol, and had to force shutdown.

Can you explain what might have gone wrong, if it wasn't the USB booting issue?

EDIT: You also wrote, "That's correct. Using the 4th and then second option." No idea what those options are that you referred to, can you please explain.

Also the name of the target disk is now WD10EZEX(2)USB VENTURA BOOTABLE - Data. The initial name before running CCC was simply WD10EZEX(2)USB VENTURA BOOTABLE. Does that suggest something gone wrong?
Did you copy the OCLP EFI in your clone drive? CCC does not clone EFI´s. You can also install the EFI via OCLP.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Did you copy the OCLP EFI in your clone drive? CCC does not clone EFI´s. You can also install the EFI via OCLP.
Sorry, but I don't know where to find/copy the OCLP EFI to the clone (destination?) drive, or how to install the EFI via OCLP - Does that mean installing to the already configured, failed, destination?

This is what I did:

-set startup drive to Ventura

-reverted root patches, but did not reboot

-had already created empty APFS formatted volume

-set that empty volume as the destination and Macintosh HD VENTURA-data (the startup volume) as the source

-control-clicked on the destination to reveal and select Legacy Bootable.

-gave it permission to erase the destination

-then clicked start and waited for it to finish cloning

trifero I really appreciate your help, but instead of finding these things out as I go along, and later when things go wrong, perhaps you can give me the directions all at once - everything I need to do to successfully create the CCC bootable drive.

Please no rush, take your time.

With much appreciation.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Sorry, but I don't know where to find/copy the OCLP EFI to the clone (destination?) drive, or how to install the EFI via OCLP - Does that mean installing to the already configured, failed, destination?

This is what I did:

-set startup drive to Ventura

-reverted root patches, but did not reboot

-had already created empty APFS formatted volume

-set that empty volume as the destination and Macintosh HD VENTURA-data (the startup volume) as the source

-control-clicked on the destination to reveal and select Legacy Bootable.

-gave it permission to erase the destination

-then clicked start and waited for it to finish cloning

trifero I really appreciate your help, but instead of finding these things out as I go along, and later when things go wrong, perhaps you can give me the directions all at once - everything I need to do to successfully create the CCC bootable drive.

Please no rush, take your time.

With much appreciation.
I´m sorry, I really can´t explain it better. If you don´t know how to clone the EFI partition, use OCLP app from the main active drive and install it in the cloned drive by selecting it as destination.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Success after all, boots properly! Realized that the mistake I had been making was to bypass the EFI Boot option at the boot picker and go directly to the bootable destination disk. Instead, after checking that everything needed to boot was where it belonged at the destination, restarted, but first selected the EFI Boot option (what I always do to get to the "ordinary" Ventura startup disk), then selected the bootable volume.

Was this effectively what you meant?

Screenshot from https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/BOOT.html

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 10.29.51 AM.png
But a few questions remain: since I had reverted the root patches before creating the bootable volume, I was wondering at what point I should run the root patches in case of some unfortunate event and I need to restore from the bootable volume?

Plus, what would be the best way to restore from the bootable volume, if needed?

Thanks!

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Success after all, boots properly! Realized that the mistake I had been making was to bypass the EFI Boot option at the boot picker and go directly to the bootable destination disk. Instead, after checking that everything needed to boot was where it belonged at the destination, restarted, but first selected the EFI Boot option (what I always do to get to the "ordinary" Ventura startup disk), then selected the bootable volume.

Was this effectively what you meant?

Screenshot from https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/BOOT.html

View attachment 2362970
But a few questions remain: since I had reverted the root patches before creating the bootable volume, I was wondering at what point I should run the root patches in case of some unfortunate event and I need to restore from the bootable volume?

Plus, what would be the best way to restore from the bootable volume, if needed?

Thanks!
Are you sure you are not booting from another drive´s EFI? If properly done, EFI shoult boot by itself, and you wiil only see the OS icon for a few seconds, then it keeps booting.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Have been under the weather the past few days, so couldn't get back to this until now. Not sure at all if this is what you had in mind, but since that external volume is associated with a different drive - not the internal drive used for the Macintosh HD Ventura, I started back up to the bootable external, by way of the EFI Boot option (associated with the internal, as you suggest), then using the patcher app, ran a new build to the external drive involved and then finally
this https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...L.html#booting-seamlessly-without-boot-picker

The external bootable clone now appears to boot seamlessly, with no need to select the EFI Boot option.

Reactions: trifero

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Have been under the weather the past few days, so couldn't get back to this until now. Not sure at all if this is what you had in mind, but since that external volume is associated with a different drive - not the internal drive used for the Macintosh HD Ventura, I started back up to the bootable external, by way of the EFI Boot option (associated with the internal, as you suggest), then using the patcher app, ran a new build to the external drive involved and then finally
this https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...L.html#booting-seamlessly-without-boot-picker

The external bootable clone now appears to boot seamlessly, with no need to select the EFI Boot option.
So nice! Well done!!

Reactions: RK78

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
So nice! Well done!!
Thanks, and btw, discovered very useful EFI utility, which displays and can mount the EFI partition. EFI Agent EFI Internal:External copy.png

Also second step to eliminate boot picker not really necessary. Simply building to disk on the external to get the EFI to load appears to be sufficient to enable bootability.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Related against 6.1.1
  • Changed - A reminder dialog to run an "On reconnect" backup task is now removed more reliably when the backup volume is attached.
  • Fixed - Normally when a destination NAS volume drops offline in the middle of a backup task, CCC will attempt to remount the NAS volume, and if successful, will resume copying files. If a request to update the content of a specific folder happened to be in progress while the NAS volume dropped offline, that folder should be re-processed. We addressed a timing issue that was failing to reprocess folders like this specifically when they had not yet completed enumeration on the destination.
  • Changed - Fixed a timing issue that was causing CCC to not add a login item for the CCC Dashboard despite that setting being enabled in CCC Settings > Dashboard.
  • Changed - Unhiding the Library folder on the destination is now handled more reliably for "Cloud Storage" backup tasks.
  • Changed - When using an ExFAT-formatted source, we now catch extended-attribute-only changes more reliably (e.g. changing Finder tags) when updating the backup.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

serr

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
I gave up on CCC a while back with Monterey. I see the posts with screen shots that appear to show it working... The cryptic "legacy clone" option always lands with a "not Apple supported drive" kind of message here. My only suspension is that Apple is only white listing their firmware branded drives they supply and that's what's shutting it down. I think the posts with the screenshots showing successful clones are all using an Apple supplied SSD with their proprietary firmware. I might have one around here to test the theory but I just moved on to CloneZilla back then!

So... someone cooked up a way to kludge CCC back into making bootable clones with the Opencore bootloader?
Is there a concise post to land on here for that? Seems worth a try. I like RescueZilla right out of the box. I'd have to poke around and set up a server to automate scheduled backups and all using that though. So I might bite on this!

Reactions: Minghold

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I gave up on CCC a while back with Monterey. I see the posts with screen shots that appear to show it working... The cryptic "legacy clone" option always lands with a "not Apple supported drive" kind of message here. My only suspension is that Apple is only white listing their firmware branded drives they supply and that's what's shutting it down. I think the posts with the screenshots showing successful clones are all using an Apple supplied SSD with their proprietary firmware. I might have one around here to test the theory but I just moved on to CloneZilla back then!

So... someone cooked up a way to kludge CCC back into making bootable clones with the Opencore bootloader?
Is there a concise post to land on here for that? Seems worth a try. I like RescueZilla right out of the box. I'd have to poke around and set up a server to automate scheduled backups and all using that though. So I might bite on this!
I have a bootable external drive, Acasis/Kingston NVMe non-apple working just fine with CCC 5 for quick roll-back to backups. I didn't even use the 'legacy startup'-thing, but I simply installed macOS on it and started using CCC to backup to it. I've used the 'legacy startup' before without any problems. I don't know about OCLP stuff.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I flat-out refuse to use any operating-system that actively thwarts the user from creating bootable backups.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Hmm - I've been using CCC 6 right up thru Sonoma 14.5 Beta - No problem making bootable backup disks🤔

Lou
Let me put it this way: --If I have to purchase a commercial app to end-run the OS-maker's BS, that constitutes actively thwarting the user. Apple does this purely to obsolesce their hardware (whatever their proffered excuses or oily rationales arguing the cod-liver is good for you); i.e., they're just another evil company now that actively screws its customers right out in the open. (Frankly they've been that way for the better part of a decade, but until recently the ethical rot had confined itself to warranty shenanigans and data-harvesting.)

• Angry
Reactions: Ben J.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Let me put it this way: --If I have to purchase a commercial app to end-run the OS-maker's BS, that constitutes actively thwarting the user. Apple does this purely to obsolesce their hardware (whatever their proffered excuses or oily rationales arguing the cod-liver is good for you); i.e., they're just another evil company now that actively screws its customers right out in the open. (Frankly they've been that way for the better part of a decade, but until recently the ethical rot had confined itself to warranty shenanigans and data-harvesting.)
I'm curious if you use a computer regularly>?

Data harvesting is everywhere, and unavoidable.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Hmm - I've been using CCC 6 right up thru Sonoma 14.5 Beta - No problem making bootable backup disks🤔

Lou
I suppose that involves using Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant (if not then how else?) Since CCC doesn't copy the needed EFI Partition on the target, can you say what you do for that? Thanks.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I suppose that involves using Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant (if not then how else?) Since CCC doesn't copy the needed EFI Partition on the target, can you say what you do for that? Thanks.

I do not use any app other than CCC to make my bootable clones. You just need to follow the steps outlined on page one of this thread. As you can see, I had trouble at first back then. But, now a piece of cake👍🏻

Lou

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I do not use any app other than CCC to make my bootable clones. You just need to follow the steps outlined on page one of this thread. As you can see, I had trouble at first back then. But, now a piece of cake👍🏻

Lou
Also, like I said in my post yesterday; You can simply install macOS (preferably the same version as you're backing up from) on the external drive, then make a CCC task that clones your internal to that drive. CCC will clone the " - Data" part (because as we know the Signed System Volume is locked), and the result is a bootable clone of my internal drive.

What I find most useful about having my backup bootable is that I can boot from it, run CCC on it and make a task to restore my internal drive to a previous snapshot, and because I'm booted from an external drive, CCC will be able to replace only modyfied files - thus finishing in a matter of seconds. No booting from recovery and using Disk Utilities to rewrite the whole '- Data' volume.

Reactions: Realityck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.