Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
At the moment, MacOS, but the momentum is moving toward Win10. But it is difficult to isolate it to only the OS/software. The hardware is a significant factor. I'm seeing a declining value in MacOS hardware over time, whereas Windows-devices are improving their price/value... at least for me.

The primary reason why Win10 is becoming more preferable for me isn't because of the out-of-the-box experience. The ability to debloat and lock down Win10 results in something that is lean and quick. The ability to tweak the UI on Win10 helps me make it more to my liking.

I'm a proponent and advocate for cross-platform, open source software so there are very few apps that I use that are MacOS-exclusive (iWork and Pixelmator are it). That makes it easier to make the transition from MacOS to Win10... or Linux if I felt like it.

My wife is currently using MacOS on a neo old-school 2017 i7 MBA. When she is ready to move on from that, I'll get her a laptop and get her set up with Elementary OS.

Whether it is MacOS, Windows, or Linux, they're all terrific OSes. I've owned personal computers since the Radio Shack/Tandy TRS-80 Model I back in 1978. What is available today for the price is what science fiction is made of. :)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Why no love for Illumos, SerenityOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, ReactOS, TempleOS, xv6, JOS, HP-UX, AIX, etc.?

I use Windows for video games, macOS for most of what I do - day to day computing, programming, video work. I usually have some additional Unix system to test things - Linux or one of the BSDs

Reactions: lepidotós

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
My work computer is Windows. These days I'm spending most of my personal time on Mac. I split time between Windows and PS5 for video games. I prefer MacOS but the gaming support on Windows is just massive.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
My work computer is Windows. These days I'm spending most of my personal time on Mac. I split time between Windows and PS5 for video games. I prefer MacOS but the gaming support on Windows is just massive.

Why not personal time with Windows? Just wonder

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Which one is better for you and why?
I bolded the important part, as I don't want my opinion to be misconstrued

I've used all three some more extensively then others and my take away is for the past few years Windows is a better solution for my needs.

I like Linux, but in the past, its been something that required more work under the hood then I prefer, but I learned a lot. The show stopper for me was lack of apps - specific apps that I need. My company's VPN doesn't have a Linux compatible version, my apps for personal use are windows only.

macOS - I enjoyed the UI, and UX and general consistent product that apple produces, yet these past few years macOS feels bloated, every revision seems a bit more buggy then the prior. Each year they roll out a new version, but I fail to see any updates that speak directly to me and what I want. Ultimately, though like Linux, lack of macOS compatible apps, unlike Linux, the volume of apps not compatible is a lot smaller. That is if I wanted too, I could run macOS

Windows, its not perfect, not by a long shot, but I feel they have a better strategy security wise - they're more transparent, Apple doesn't really publicly address security issues and tries to keep things under wraps. Hardware compatibility is much better, whether we're talking about old printers or video cards.

Software is main reason, whether I'm looking to play games or run some enterprise applications, Windows just has more to offer for me

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
You should have included a poll in the thread.

For me it is Windows, hands down. Windows is a great operating system, it is flexible, fast, easy to use, and has a great interface. And, because it is the most widely used computer operating system in the world by a large margin, more software is developed for it and is reasonably easy to find solutions for any issues it may have. All software I need run on Windows. Microsoft Office is absolutely great on Windows, and it is the single most important piece of software for me. Most games run on Windows. And Windows run on nearly any computer, so I have choices whenever I want a new one, which adapt to my needs and wants. Windows is not perfect, and it certainly has its issues. However, if I have Windows running, I do not need any other machine.

Second, it is maCOS. It is also a great operating system, has great aesthetics and is easy to use. Macs are usually good computers and integration is great. However, software is somehow lacking. Sure, macOS covers all the basics and then some. But many cross-platform software are conversions from Windows and not all of them have the same quality. And many are not even available. When using macOS, I sometimes feel like a second-class citizen. Microsoft Office runs on macOS, but the Windows version is miles better; this alone is a reason for me to opt for Windows. Plus, macOS only runs on Apple hardware, which means less choices. It is easier to buy a Mac, but also more constrained. And there is timing: it is not wise to buy a Mac shortly before Apple announces a revision of its hardware.

Third, it is Linux. I tried different distos, but it is seriously lacking. While I could handle anything with Windows and macOS, I have a hard time adapting to Linux. It lacks polish; the interface may have become better over the years, but it is still nowhere near Windows or macOS. Plus, software is seriously lacking. First, there is no Microsoft Office for Linux, which is reason enough for me not to use it. But Linux also lacks other software. For office apps, at least there is LibreOffice, which is decent, although nowhere near Microsoft Office. I found that most other open source software lack polish and the quality found in commercial applications which were not available for Linux. I would love to be an enthusiast of open source software, but I simply cannot because the software I tried was usually terrible, with only a few exceptions.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Windows 10
everything works perfectly
the computing experience can be tailored to my needs
Music is better sounding and easier to maintain
files are easier to manage
more program can be deleted or added as needed
there are more variables that make the system open and free
there are no logins and enter 6 digit codes just to use a 2017 device or watch a movie
In the past, like last decade,
Apple was great for digital graphics, now there are programs that intertwine great with windows 10.
Mojave is incredible, but still has that unbreakable parameter and concrete apps that wont go away.

gave up on trying to install Unbuntu Design on the MacBook air but might try again later.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Windows 10. I began using computers in the day of the trs80. I started with Windows 3.11 and tried macos three times and each time I run back to windows. I hate macos. I have tried a few different distros of Linux and while better than macos the software I want is not there. I am excited for Sun valley to see if they improve the tablet experience.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Linux, PopOS to be specific.
I can do my work on any OS, but my weapon of choice is PopOS.
Way better window management that Windows or MacOS, autotiling is a godsend.
PopOS is really fast and responsive, I can customize it and tailor it to my own needs, something I can't do with Windows or MacOS. And I can even play 99% of the games that are available on Windows. But to my shock and surprise, I really don't play video games anymore. Maybe 1h a week.

Reactions: Steve Adams

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I tried to install an android type os on my machine to see what it was like and it would not install. I have to remember the name. It's something like popOS but for the life of me it's gone from my head. I will find it and report back.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I prefer the UI on macOS. I like the hardware flexibility of Windows. Windows used to have a big advantage in programs but I can find whatever I need these days. I like Linux for many things, particular as to how lightweight it is. But I just like macOS the best. At the moment, I'm typing in a Mojave Virtual Machine running on VirtualBox. GUI performance isn't the best but it's good enough. This is on a Windows 10 host. I could just as easily post this on Firefox in Windows but I prefer posting in forums and reading and writing emails in macOS. I will get an M1X system when they come out and will run two or three monitors on the M1X and one or two on Windows 10 so I have the best of both worlds. I have the feeling that the M1X systems may not support four high-resolution monitors and the Windows system is the home NAS too.

I can always run Linux as a Virtual Machine too on an Intel system with enough RAM.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
To expand on what was said earlier:

#1 Choose your software first then chase the OS. For my use cases it's Windows and Linux.
#2 Consider the payoff for learning an OS. This is where Linux experience puts you ahead of others in the job market since it runs the internet, data centers, backend, appliances, embedded, etc.
#3 Factor in hardware and software bang for the buck. PC has more variety and more competition so better prices.
#4 Better workflow. Windows > Linux > MacOS > ChromeOS & Android > iPadOS/iOS so desktop OS > mobile OS.
#5 Personal preference. I'm down for trying different OS' but said and done prefer Windows with a Linux shell.

Since one can only retain so much info I'd narrow it down to Windows and Linux.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
There is no best for everyone. It depends on what you want and need to do.

For myself, my main computer(s) run Linux because that's what the software my team develops runs on. The office / web / email stuff is on MacOS because it works for me and I'm used to it. There are no Windows installations anywhere in the house because I hate Windows, it never seems to do what I expect, and I don't need it for anything I work on.

Reactions: 09872738

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think that many of us here provide tech support for others at home, in the neighborhood for relatives. And maybe at work too. I learned this stuff because I was curious about it and because people asked me to look at things on a variety of systems.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
This answer is going to vary wildly by person. I do a lot of development on Linux machines for work. I only use Windows for mail and documents at work. I would ditch it completely for a Mac if they would let me. Mac at home.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Right now, Windows. Just because I have a Windows PC as my primary PC.
I do have a mac mini that I consider as a "training wheel" for the just in case scenario (in case I decided to by an Apple Silicon Macbook).

In terms of apps, most of what I do is either office or in the cloud. So in a sense, Windows or macOS don't matter, it's just about getting used to the creature comforts of each OSes. Windows 10 is great, but it does have its quirks, requiring a lot of manual maintenances and handling.

As for Linux, everytime I try it, I just cannot get used to the unpolished UI and settings. And the popular distros are trying too hard to copy Windows or macOS, but without the polish. And I don't have time to customize it to my liking.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
There is no best for everyone. It depends on what you want and need to do.

For myself, my main computer(s) run Linux because that's what the software my team develops runs on. The office / web / email stuff is on MacOS because it works for me and I'm used to it. There are no Windows installations anywhere in the house because I hate Windows, it never seems to do what I expect, and I don't need it for anything I work on.
Really funny. I find MacOS worst because it never seems to do what I expect. I have dabbled with linux, but nothing really made me stay on it. It did make my 2007 macbook at least usable, unlike MacOS that was on it which was unsupported to the point of silliness.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I am Windows on desktop and Mac on laptops.
Windows is ok-ish on desktop and I need it for some windows exclusive software.
On the other is hit or miss on laptops. Maybe I am very unlucky but had lot of issues with windows laptops in the last 4-5 years.
For this reason, as soon as the 16''MBP was launched without the dreaded butterfly keyboard I bought it and I'm a happy camper right now.
A few months ago I sold my last windows laptop because I also bought the M1 MBP so it was redundant.
To be honest, in this very moment I am perfectly content with this arrangement.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Uh, guess that depends. I'm currently trying to be a Linux user. I can get some things done but comes with lots of hair pulling. It's not a bad OS but I really don't "get it" and oftentimes need something to run under wine or even set up a VM for a few windows programs. But I'm trying to use Linux (currently Manjaro) on some rather low specs (ryzen 2200g).

I've been trying for about 2 years and while I spend more time on the box I'm not getting a whole lot done. I keep trying to use it.

I've tried macOS in the past and surprisingly it was not very intuitive for me. I got stuff kind of done, but never got into it. Linux is a little better as a computer for me, a hair bit more intuitive but getting things done I'm often struggling.

I can do some things with it, some basic photo editing, another laptop is used for telescope control, some light gaming.

Windows would probably be the better choice for me, in the back of my mind I know it'd just be easier to do what I want with a computer I'm using but don't like the idea of a huge cooperation all up in my computer updating it at will. It's a personal computer not a cooperate one. Also ransomware irks me. Guess I could airgap but almost everything requires an internet connection nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.