Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
MVC (aka Rominator) has seem to disappear. He was last seen on the netkas.org forum on December 21, 2018, @11:04:28 PM. I seem to remember he was having health problems. Dunno if my olde brain got that right.

Well he got married. I don't know if I'd call that a health problem. :rolleyes:

He hasn't posted on Facebook since then either.

The lack of communication is inexcusable, but in this case I doubt the problem is an MVC flash. There are many things that can cause a MP to not boot up MacOS, especially with an Nvidia card.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
in this case I doubt the problem is an MVC flash. There are many things that can cause a MP to not boot up MacOS, especially with an Nvidia card.

One thing that always intrigued me is the quantity of newbies that buy these pre-flashed NVIDIA cards/flash services. Some people even don't have an original GPU or a Mac Edition card to debug and do macOS installs. Apple support people probably hate NVIDIA with all heart.

Reactions: ActionableMango

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Well he got married. I don't know if I'd call that a health problem. :rolleyes:

He hasn't posted on Facebook since then either.

The lack of communication is inexcusable, but in this case I doubt the problem is an MVC flash. There are many things that can cause a MP to not boot up MacOS, especially with an Nvidia card.
Damn! My invitation must have been lost! :D Well, congratulations to him. :)

However, I agree with you about the lack of communication over the months of this year (Jan-Apr 2019). Too bad, really.

Reactions: ActionableMango

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I already escalated my claim with PayPal. So far rominator owes me around 400 bucks. Depending on what the outcome is from the paypal handling the case my actions will follow. And they won't be pretty. Hopefully he will come to his senses.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Sorry, still off topic but .. .http://forum.netkas.org/index. is still off line

It would be sad if Netkas drops off the internet he ( and "Rominator ) filled in the gaps for a lot pf cMP owners.

Many learned so much about flashing GPUs for cMPs over the HD4xxx ~ R9.xxx series of cards ( Nvidia cards too ) and it was fun . .if not a little terrifying for novices like myself at that time.

Time moves on.

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
This could mean the official source for the Mac Pro 4,1 -> 5,1 upgrade is offline. Sadly. :(

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Netkas is back online for anyone concerned...

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 4.39.33 PM.png

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I believe it’s over. I think a death-blow may have been dealt. This would explain the “Radio Silence” & lack of customer service.

EDIT:
HAPPY to see that wasn’t the case :D

I was just a minute before I posted this on the Nektas forum. It was offline.

Now it's online. :cool: :D

Reactions: crjackson2134

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Macvidcards aka Rominator (Dave?) decided to remain silent to Paypal too. They refunded me the portion of the money he owns me. This is the part for the flashing service+the return shipping. I guess it is better to earn 500 instead of 150, by stealing my card flashing and selling it. I will not retract this statement until I find otherwise. From this point on I do not recommend sending any card to MacvidCards.com for flashing. My next step will be to dump the EFI rom to the public. I will do that in a separate thread. Then I will proceed with BBB and legal methods. I will retract these statements if I get my GTX Titan back.

Edit 5/8/2019
The issue has been resolved. I retract the statement. Please see https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macvidcards-radio-silence.2177748/page-3#post-27345288
Macvidcards.com is back in service as od this date.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Macvidcards aka Rominator (Dave?) decided to remain silent to Paypal too. They refunded me the portion of the money he owns me. This is the part for the flashing service+the return shipping. I guess it is better to earn 500 instead of 150, by stealing my card flashing and selling it. I will not retract this statement until I find otherwise. From this point on I do not recommend sending any card to MacvidCards.com for flashing. My next step will be to dump the EFI rom to the public. I will do that in a separate thread. Then I will proceed with BBB and legal methods. I will retract these statements if I get my GTX Titan back.

There would be no point in dumping the EFI. It's more complex than it looks and can result in users bricking their cards. Best idea is dump the cMP ASAP. Fingers cross there will be a new Mac Pro available this Fall.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Then I will proceed with BBB and legal methods. I will retract these statements if I get my GTX Titan back.

The BBB is or was mostly a seal of approval you receive as a business by giving them your money. Your state attorney generals office is best place to lodge a complaint.

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
There would be no point in dumping the EFI. It's more complex than it looks and can result in users bricking their cards. Best idea is dump the cMP ASAP. Fingers cross there will be a new Mac Pro available this Fall.
I guess all we have to do is to wait Nvidia to release webdiver for RTX. If so, Rominator will lose his business.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I guess all we have to do is to wait Nvidia to release webdiver for RTX. If so, Rominator will lose his business.
Chances for this happening are slim to 0. For whatever reason NVIDIA does not work on Mojave drivers or at least did not release one to the public.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Sorry to hear about your experience startergo. I had a good experience a couple years ago doing business with MVC, but he must be hurting now since Mac + Nvidia is pretty much a dead end and support from Apple for the cMP is nearing the end as well. Hopefully the MVC guy will find a better and more honest way to earn money. If you need Nvidia it's best to go with the GTX 680 or K5000 Mac Edition cards, otherwise just get a new AMD card and live without the boot screen because, honestly, you don't need it for hardly anything now.

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
Over a year ago I sent a Titan Xp to him. He didn't reply for over a month. After hounding him and leaving multiple messages for him I eventually got it back. It worked as advertised but the whole ordeal was nerve racking. I would not consider doing business with Macvidcards again. Buyer beware

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I had to Google "RubyTuesday" and all that comes up is a Restaurant chain name.
Am missing the connection?:confused:
He might be meaning this:

3) as noted above, "ruby" has a long history as a slang term for exactly the
type of woman as in the song (which apparently Linda Keith was), a great one
that doesnt hang around for long."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.