Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Sorry to hear about your experience startergo. I had a good experience a couple years ago doing business with MVC, but he must be hurting now since Mac + Nvidia is pretty much a dead end and support from Apple for the cMP is nearing the end as well. Hopefully the MVC guy will find a better and more honest way to earn money. If you need Nvidia it's best to go with the GTX 680 or K5000 Mac Edition cards, otherwise just get a new AMD card and live without the boot screen because, honestly, you don't need it for hardly anything now.
Well it is worth mentioning there is a European branch of MacVidcards (separate business from Dave's business) which has a store on eBay and has 100% positive feedback. Apparently this store is also working on an RX series boot screen together with Netkas.

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
I believe this is right time for him to be out of business. RTX already have boot screen supported. If Nvidia releases new web driver, RTX will also be supported. Therefore, no one will buy his expensive card with no factory warranty anymore. If Nvdia does not release new web driver, people will also quit from using his card. Because we always want the new system support from apple.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I believe this is right time for him to out of business. RTX already have boot screen supported. If Nvidia releases new web driver, RTX will also be supported. Therefore, no one will buy his expensive card with no factory warranty anymore. If Nvdia does not release new web driver, people will also quit from using his card. Because we always want the new system support from apple.
I am talking about AMD RX series (the officially supported by Apple line of cards)

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
I am talking about AMD RX series (the officially supported by Apple line of cards)
That will be interesting if they can figure out a way to do it. But currently, they are not selling any AMD cards. We might also expect Navi will do something different officially.

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
Well it is worth mentioning there is a European branch of MacVidcards (separate business from Dave's business) which has a store on eBay and has 100% positive feedback. Apparently this store is also working on an RX series boot screen together with Netkas.

What is the name of their Ebay store? Any link. If they can do an RX series and be reliable when it comes to shipping I would buy some cards.

Last edited:

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Must be tough for MacVidCards ATM, his/their whole business strategy is in meltdown because the cards they CAN flash do not have drivers for MOJAVE. Namely, the NVIDIA cards such as the 980, 1080 and newer. Sure, the 680 can be flashed but heck I can do that with a downloaded ROM. So unless NVIDIA and APPLE kiss and make up, AMD are holding all the cards ....

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Also it won't matter much longer as people are retiring the UGA Mac Pro's left and right. It's long in the tooth and even the 6-core 12-threads Mac Mini is better these days for CPU power.

Granted the mythical replacement would come with everything people need and new ROMs for VEGA / NAVI.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Ok. Let me bring some good news. As I said before I will retract my previous statement If I find otherwise.
I can confirm that the communication with Dave has been restored (thanks @Spacedust :)!) with the help of macvidcards europe. So here is what happened. Couple of days before I opened the claim with PayPal Dave sent me an email saying that he got the address wrong (from my initial order). That email unfortunately ended in my spam folder so I did not see it in time. 2 days later I started the claim through Paypal (I thought I lost communication because the card was 1 month with him and I did not get the status). In the PayPal correspondence he replied that he got the wrong address. I immediately replied with the correct address pointing out that on the actual shipping label of the box I sent the card with, the return address is correct. Later by pure luck I found the email which ended in the spam folder and I replied again (few days later maybe couple more times). He said he stopped responding after his first PayPal reply ( i don't know why) and PayPal closed the dispute due to a lack of activity on his part. Later I got in touch with Dave with the assistance from macvidcards europe. And the communication was excellent, like it was supposed to be in the first place. He said that this particular card takes a lot of effort and time(software and hardware). I sent him the payment again and he shipped the card back to me right away (it was ready for shipping and I got confirmation from his email that the product was shipped and got a tracking number unlike the first time when he sent it to the wrong address without any confirmation through the email. If I have received a shipping confirmation email the first time, I would have replied back right away to him). We apologized to each other (i know he is reading the forum).
So as of now I can confirm Macvidcards.com is back in operation and the communication is excellent. Now I encourage everyone who did not get a response from Dave to try contacting him again.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
There's a thread like this every so often. As long as I've been here, I believe he's always delivered in the end. Glad it worked out. Now for those Mojave drivers...

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Happy endings are always a nice thing to read about. Enjoy that flashed Titan Black @startergo

I recently sold the second flashed EVGA SC GTX 780 6GB I had which came with the 5,1 I bought in September of last year and made a nice little profit (over mvc's price). I was actually quite surprised to find it in there as the seller didn't mention anything about it.

The flashed GTX Titan, Titan Black and the 780 6GB versions seem to retain their value and are keepers.

Reactions: startergo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.