Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I recently bought a new iMac and chose to go with a Magic Trackpad 2. Previously, I had been using the original Magic Trackpad for a number of years, and figured that the added surface area and Force Touch might be nice features.

There's a bit of a problem, however: occasionally - sometimes multiple times per minute - the trackpad acts like it either isn't connected or as if it isn't picking up my finger. It's always brief, but very noticeable. Sometimes the cursor doesn't move for about a second; other times it will respond in less than a second, but the acceleration of an action like scrolling will feel "off" (because I've already been moving my fingers, but the screen just starts responding a split second after my motion, so the acceleration is a bit behind what it should be).

I was prepared to go through a bunch of trouble-shooting, including swapping out for my old Magic Trackpad and testing with that... however, I found that at least one other person had this issue. The solution that worked for him was to exchange the trackpad for a new one. It's a bit of a hassle that I'd rather not go through, if I can help it.

So I put it out to the community: has anyone else experienced this issue? Was there an easy solution, like some way to reset the trackpad? I've tried shutting it off and turning it back on, but that doesn't seem to do it.

Reactions: SoleteWeno

Naio

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2015
Have you tried turning off Bluetooth and using the Trackpad connected to your iMac with a Lightning cable?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
That seems like it might have fixed the issue. Previously as part of my troubleshooting I had connected the Magic Trackpad 2 to the computer with a Lightning cable, but I don't think that I had turned off the Magic Trackpad at that time. This time around I turned the trackpad off, connected the cable, and then turned it back on. I didn't disable Bluetooth on the computer, but looking at the Bluetooth icon, nothing had connected (except for my keyboard, which hasn't been having issues). I used it that way for a while with no issues - it was as responsive as my Magic Trackpad (original), and what I'd expect. I used it for an hour or two, turned it off, disconnected the Lightning cable, and tried again. So far, no skips, no lags, it seems perfectly responsive.

Time will tell if this really fixed the issue. If it did, my guess is that there's something wrong (or just imperfect) with Apple's factory connection process. I purchased the keyboard and trackpad with my new iMac, and the keyboard and trackpad were paired with it out of the box. I didn't realize that, though, and started the computer with the keyboard plugged in... whereas the trackpad seemed to work right away. Maybe it needed a bit of cabling time, too.

If the issue returns, I'll post back again. Otherwise, I'm pleased. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: unfortunately, it looks like the issue returned. It actually came back fairly quickly, but I wasn't sure if it was just me or it was really there. Now it's been enough time that I'm certain it isn't just me. I guess I'll be making a trip to the Apple store this weekend to see if Apple will give me a replacement or have some magical fix in mind...

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so now it is working fine wireless? or you only use it wired?
or your problem was occurred only with bluetooth on and trackpad wired to your mac?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
so now it is working fine wireless? or you only use it wired?
or your problem was occurred only with bluetooth on and trackpad wired to your mac?
If I plug it in and used it wired then there's no issue, but there's an occasional delay in sensing when it's used wirelessly. It seemed as if plugging it in for a while and then using it wirelessly solved the problem, but it didn't. I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow for the issue, if they give me a replacement then hopefully the replacement will be free of this issue... I'll post back with how it goes.

jomjom1985

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Spain
I have the same issue. I exchaged the MTP2 for another and still having the same problem... :'( and the original MTP works perfectly. I guess it will be a El Capitan bug.

I use it on a new iMac 5k 27" late 2015.

EDIT: I exchanged it again, and this new works well for now.

EDIT2: Bad news. The last MTP2 replacement has the same issue. My conclusion: It's a El Capitan problem...

Last edited:

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I had this problem and called apple and they sent a replacement and the replacement is perfect. Haven't had an issue with the new one at all. I was convinced it was some sort of interference problem (only thing I could come up with is the new trackpad is probably using different frequencies from the old one that worked flawlessly for years in my setup). I pretty much turned off all of my other wireless stuff and it was still acting up when it wasn't plugged in so apple replaced it with a new one.

It is possible that there are some software or driver bugs with these new trackpads too but so far no issues here after a replacement.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
The exchange was a painless process. I've been using the new Magic Trackpad 2 for a few hours now and it seems improved but perhaps not completely resolved. The original one that came with my computer would generally have those "misses" every few minutes; with this one it seems much less frequent, at least so far. It's thankfully been rare so far, but I've had a few instances where a two-finger scroll wouldn't start immediately.

The Genius told me that if the replacement didn't fix it then I'd probably need to bring in my computer. I'd really rather not pack up a 27" iMac and carry it around. Hopefully there is some driver or firmware optimization that can be performed to make it 100% perfect. I'll post back if the issue worsens or seems completely resolved...

dbanon

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
Same problem here... It's very annoying. I hope a fix will be release soon...

EDIT: Indeed, the problem does not occur wired.

Last edited:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I may have to go in and get it replaced again, then, but I think the store will start scrutinizing me and suspect it's the computer instead (not that I'd blame them). So far I've just been using it wired, which is kind of disappointing...

jomjom1985

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Spain
I've noticed the Magic Trackpad 2 works correctly under Windows via Bootcamp, no lag, no delays. I hope OS X 10.11.2 solve this problem.

Torrin

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Norway
Same issue here. Magic Trackpad 2 works fine on late-2015 iMac (OS X 10.11.1) as long as it is connected with the Lightning cable, but exhibits reduced sensitivity via Bluetooth. In addition to the iMac i testet the MTP2 on a mid-2011 MacBook Air and a mid-2013 MacBook Pro, both under 10.11.1, with the same result.

I have the same issue. I exchaged the MTP2 for another and still having the same problem... :'( and the original MTP works perfectly. I guess it will be a El Capitan bug.

I use it on a new iMac 5k 27" late 2015.

EDIT: I exchanged it again, and this new works well for now.

EDIT2: Bad news. The last MTP2 replacement has the same issue. My conclusion: It's a El Capitan problem...
I've noticed the Magic Trackpad 2 works correctly under Windows via Bootcamp, no lag, no delays. I hope OS X 10.11.2 solve this problem.

That are interesting observations as I began to wonder if the issue was due to either defective devices or to a general, Bluetooth-related design flaw with the new trackpad. Has anyone tried to use an MTP2 with an earlier OS X version? Could not try this myself because all machines here have 10.11.1. However, strange that the original MTP seems to work without issues under 10.11.1 while the new one does not.

Last edited:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Has anyone tried to use an MTP2 with an earlier OS X version? Could not try this myself because all machines here have 10.11.1. However, strange that the original MTP seems to work without issues under 10.11.1 while the new one does not.
The Magic Trackpad 2 (and I think the Magic Keyboard) require OS X 10.11 or newer. I'm not sure if they could work on an older version - they're just Bluetooth peripherals, so theoretically they should (and it sounds like they work with Windows, which isn't a surprise, so they really ought to be able to) - but the Apple website states OS X 10.11 is required. I'd imagine that OS X 10.11 is required for initial pairing, or maybe just pairing by Lightning cable...

I used my Magic Trackpad 2 with the Lightning cable for a week or two, and then unhooked it. Every now and then I get an issue, but they're less frequent. Part of it may be that my behavior has changed; previously I only tapped, but now I use the Force Touch on occasion. Whenever I start to get what feels like decreased sensitivity or lag, I use a Force Touch tap and things seem to clear up. I don't know if it's just coincidence or a true association, though... but for now, it's bearable enough. I do hope that it's something that can be fixed with a firmware update, though.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I would agree, it seems more responsive and I haven't noticed my old issues under OS X 10.11.2. Time will tell; it may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hopeful that this fixed it for good.

Edit: It seems like the problem still exists. I don't think it's as severe as before, but maybe I've just grown used to it...

Last edited:
Reactions: SoleteWeno

Torrin

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Norway
I can confirm that replacing the Trackpad does NOT help. Tried out a new one, but the intermittent problem with reduced sensitivity when connected via Bluetooth remained. OS X 10.11.2 has not made any difference here.

It seems the problem is mainly (maybe exclusively) related to 2-finger scrolling. The easiest way for me to reproduce it is to scroll up and down in Safari, Preview and the like. Exactly after the scroll bar disappears, about 50% of the time the trackpad will not respond to light finger contact (both 1- and 2-finger movements, tap-to-click and maybe also other gestures as well) for up to ca. 4 seconds. Applying more pressure or using hard clicks seems to "wake up" the pad. As Ledgem wrote one can probably get used to this, but it is not really ideal.

So far Apple Cares technicians have not been able to reproduce the issue. I will therefore try to provide them with a short video.

Reactions: lpb

lpb

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
For me the trackpad lags with 1 finger input too. Restart it solves it temporarily.

I think it is a bluetooth problem that started with OS X 10.11.0. I had a bluetooth speaker connected to my old Mac mini that the sound started to stutter after a day in use. Restart of computer/speaker resolves it temporarily. This problem was in 10.11.0 and 10.11.1. No problems with 10.10.x

maugustine

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2014
Portland, OR
For me the trackpad lags with 1 finger input too. Restart it solves it temporarily.

I think it is a bluetooth problem that started with OS X 10.11.0. I had a bluetooth speaker connected to my old Mac mini that the sound started to stutter after a day in use. Restart of computer/speaker resolves it temporarily. This problem was in 10.11.0 and 10.11.1. No problems with 10.10.x

My Bluetooth audio has stuttered for ages now. I'm surprised Apple hasn't been able to fix it yet. I've filed multiples bugs on it now.

Reactions: lpb

agtoau

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
I bought the new Magic Trackpad 2 yesterday and I am noticing the same issue. Erratic lag on initial input. I called Apple and they had me reset the PRAM. No dice. Before that I had tried unpairing and pairing the devices again.

It is unbelievable that Apple doesn't have a fix yet.

Has the OP found a fix yet?

maugustine

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2014
Portland, OR
This issue seems to only affect a handful of users, based on what I've found online.

How many other Bluetooth devices do you have currently connected to your Mac? Which model is your Mac?

agtoau

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
This issue seems to only affect a handful of users, based on what I've found online.

How many other Bluetooth devices do you have currently connected to your Mac? Which model is your Mac?

I run a late-2013 Mac Pro, with the latest version of El Capitan. The only other bluetooth device is the Magic Keyboard.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I bought the new Magic Trackpad 2 yesterday and I am noticing the same issue. Erratic lag on initial input. I called Apple and they had me reset the PRAM. No dice. Before that I had tried unpairing and pairing the devices again.

It is unbelievable that Apple doesn't have a fix yet.

Has the OP found a fix yet?
The only fix, if you can call it that, is to plug the Lightning cable into the trackpad and use it that way. When used wired, there is absolutely no lag. It's definitely not ideal, but since the trackpad doesn't move around like a mouse, you don't really notice it whether it's plugged in or not. I think that my lag was greatly improved after using the trackpad for about a week wired, possibly because it topped the battery off (despite the battery showing a full charge out of the box).

Some people have remarked that their problem disappeared completely after exchanging their trackpad. I exchanged it once and it didn't work for me. Maybe if I exchange it again I'll get lucky, but the Genius was puzzled by my problem and basically said that if the replacement didn't fix it then I'd have to bring in my computer. I'm not willing to lug my 27" iMac down to the Apple Store, so I've been putting up with the lag that is reduced compared to when I first got the trackpad. If it really bugs me, then I'll just use it wired. I'm still hopeful that Apple will put out a firmware fix for it at some point.

To make it a priority for Apple, submit feedback on the issue at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ - there's actually no category for the Magic Trackpad, but there is one for the Magic Mouse. I'd write my feedback there, and clearly specify that this is feedback for the Magic Trackpad.

Reactions: foliovision
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.