Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
I didn't see anything about it in this thread but I wonder if some of the issues people are having might be due to the fact that USB 3.x can interfere with wireless devices using the 2.4GHz band.
VERY INTERSTING POINT (!). I have indeed an old Epson printer, whhich is proably the only device in the 2.4Ghz band of my TP Link router, which gives out 5ghz and 2.4ghz (for the slower devices) at the same time.

Do you think it would help to turnoff the 2.4ghz in my router completly or would it be enough to turn off the device(s), which are using 2-ghz band. Very interesting point and I hope some peoöle can dive into it, thanks (!)

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
Last edited:

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
Maybe, just maybe... It seems to be better with Sonoma... 🤞

But it's early days!
Apple sometimes needs several years to adress a problem. I think we must use more frequently the Report Apple Feedback function? Lets stay on this guys, I am dealing with this problem since 2015 :-(
I want to feel cool, while using my gear wireless.. :_(

Another Point: When do you guys thik MT with USB-C will come out? My guess is sometime in 2024, when the new 2024 iMac / Mac Pro comes out, they will siwtch all their new Mac accories to USB-C.

Lets see whether those problem will solve the old problems or will have new problems.

Last edited:

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
I've been using Apple's magic trackpad since the 1st version that came with my 2014 iMac - loved it and it worked perfectly for those years. When I upgraded to an M1 Mini last year I also bought a couple of newer magic trackpads to use, and immediately noticed the micro-lag/stutter. Saw the recommendation of putting a sheet of foil underneath, thought it was odd but decided to give a try anyway, seemingly it works. It's not as 100% smooth as when it's plugged in but not enough now to where it causes me to pause and notice. Also, it seems to also extended the use time between needing to be charges - will have to test a bit more extensively to be sure. Would love to hear more feedbacks from people who've tried the foil hack to make sure it's some stupid placebo effect messing with my mind.

lueesed

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
ok I'm late to the game but I'm glad I found this thread because I was about to loose sleep over this because I thought my mind was going crazy.

I want to describe my situation and see if you guys can tell me if I'm at the right place.

I had a magic trackpad. I bought one but returned it because it was on the wrong credit card.

Then I bought it again but this time I felt a bit wrong. (Maybe the first one was also but I can't be sure now). Basically maybe 1 out of 10 times, the starting input would just disappear. It would not matter if it's 1 finger or 2. It's almost as if it takes 1 second to warm up. I can literally feel my finger moving across the pad but the mouse would not move.

I thought it was software, so I re-paired the thing. Reboot trackpad and computer. Same thing.

Finally I thought it was the wireless being bad, so I removed all the accessories around the mac mini same thing.

Then finally I tried the wire connection. Works perfect.

The thing is, I'm not sure I buy the whole "sleeping" feature of the trackpad that causes this because sometimes the "lost" signal can be just my fingers being away for just a FEW seconds! I'm not talking about idling for minutes!

Also one more clue. It seems like a very small initial input would make it worse. Like if I do big swipe as my FIRST input, it less prone to this issue. But if I'm STARTING with a 1 mm move, it's more problematic. No clue if this is my imagination (I'm loosing my mind)

So at this point what should I do? Return and buy again? Is it even worth it since it doesn't appear to be hardware specific?

Or should I start playing with tin foil? (this is the most ridiculous thing I've read about apple.....)

I am having the exact same issue. I think it got better after I disable the Notification Center from right corner gesture. But still not as good as plugged in. Magic Pad 2 rounded corners, macbook pro m2

Last edited:

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Is this also a problem with iMac M3 Magic Trackpad? I have some erratic behavior also. Like very very slight delay and suddenly jumps to the direction my finger moved but way past where I want it to. Then again my old iMac late 2013 had similar random disconnects but I blamed it on my metal desk where the keyboard and mouse sits under the main table and a huge metal bar in front of it.

ZebedeeG

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2021
Is this also a problem with iMac M3 Magic Trackpad? I have some erratic behavior also. Like very very slight delay and suddenly jumps to the direction my finger moved but way past where I want it to. Then again my old iMac late 2013 had similar random disconnects but I blamed it on my metal desk where the keyboard and mouse sits under the main table and a huge metal bar in front of it.

I'm still using my M1 iMac so no idea if the M3's any different (probably not)...

Whilst I think my trackpads wireless responsiveness has improved a little with the latest macOS, it's still without a doubt nicer to use when plugged in as there's no jumps or delays.

It's a minor irritation on what is otherwise a great computer. I don't object to the colour matched wire on my desk!

Reactions: kagharaht

ZebedeeG

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2021
Are folks saying the MT works better wired? I thought it operated via BT regardless.

I honestly have no idea how my trackpad works... But for some reason it seems to be much better behaved when plugged in. 🤷‍♀️

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I'm still using my M1 iMac so no idea if the M3's any different (probably not)...

Whilst I think my trackpads wireless responsiveness has improved a little with the latest macOS, it's still without a doubt nicer to use when plugged in as there's no jumps or delays.

It's a minor irritation on what is otherwise a great computer. I don't object to the colour matched wire on my desk!
Perhaps just certain model, builds or trackpad builds. I did put feedback on Apple Feedback page. I'm not calling Support yet since it's not that bad. Having called them before on many occasions, to them it won't matter if it's a new iMac and no TM migration, or that it started happening soon as I turned it on to set up.

The standard, "create a test user", "go in safe mode", "create a new account", "reinstall Mac OS", "wipe the drive and reinstall and start from scratch" is not gonna cut it for me. I JUST GOT THE DARN THING! LOL!!! If worse scenario, I can go cable route, it won't even show up under my table in the future.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Just bought MT (the latest version) to use with M2 Air and I was wondering immediately why scrolling feels so strange, missing the first light scroll when reading a page (so not scrolling for a few seconds, then first light scroll does nothing. with cable it works 100%)... After a bit of googling found also this thread - the problem is still 100% present in the latest MacOS, latest Magic Trackpad and latest gen of Macbooks :(

Reactions: kagharaht

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Just bought MT (the latest version) to use with M2 Air and I was wondering immediately why scrolling feels so strange, missing the first light scroll when reading a page (so not scrolling for a few seconds, then first light scroll does nothing. with cable it works 100%)... After a bit of googling found also this thread - the problem is still 100% present in the latest MacOS, latest Magic Trackpad and latest gen of Macbooks :(
Yeah, soon as I started to set up the new M3 iMac, first thing I noticed. It's gotten a little better now after a few days, but definitely an issue with Mac OS Sonoma. Don't forget to put in feedback on apple feedback page.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I turned off contextual menus with the two finger tap. That improved it somewhat. The delay and lag doesn't happen as much with those off. There must be some kind of silly power management happening on the Magic Trackpad M3 that is not making it wake up instantly. Possibly too aggressive in power management putting it to sleep to save energy?

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Huh. I'll give it a try and report back. I love the MT but at times it can be a little laggy/jittery on BT.
Did you try it? It works perfectly fine if you turn off the BT on the iMac or Mac. If you have an AirPod or connect your Mac to BT system, you lose that. Anyway the Magic Trackpad works flawlessly when connected wired. With BT on or even OFF. Hoping Apple sees the issues and fixes it on the next update. I hate to have to use a wire since I like my desk clean and got used to no wires on keyboard, mouse and trackpad.

MarkosXT

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I find it kinda crazy that this issue still hasn't been fixed, I have an original Magic Trackpad and keyboard, the ones that take AA batteries, and decided to "upgrade" to the latest ones to get Touch ID on the keyboard and a matching bigger trackpad, but this micro lag was immediately noticeable, I thought maybe it was just me so I used both magic trackpad 1 and 2 (latest version) side by side and the first one doesn't have that issue. Feels more responsive to me, I guess I better take good care of it and make it last a few more years... Now I have to look for a way to raise the new Magic Keyboard so it doesn't look so out of place next to the old Magic Trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.