Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZebedeeG

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2021
Funny thing is, I was starting to think my trackpad was becoming just a very tiny bit laggy even when plugged in...

Then just now I remembered the age old solution - I switched it off and back on again!

Sorted! 😊

(But still has a too much lag unplugged, and iMac now upgraded to Monterey)

Reactions: harriska2

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
I wonder whether this lag issue persists with the Magic Trackpad 2021 (the one with the new round corners). I totally gave up and I am all wired – since than no lags. But I dont buy a bluetooth wireless trackpad to keep it wired... This is a shame...

ZebedeeG

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2021
I wonder whether this lag issue persists with the Magic Trackpad 2021 (the one with the new round corners). I totally gave up and I am all wired – since than no lags. But I dont buy a bluetooth wireless trackpad to keep it wired... This is a shame...

Sadly it does - mine's a new Trackpad which came with my 2021 M1 iMac - a bit blooming annoying, but not the end of the world!

Umutayb

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
I have this issue with my 2020 iMac's trackpad, I went ahead and bought a new trackpad the other day and noticed that I have the issue with that one as well, I am wondering if its my iMac which is flawed... I bought it literally 3 days ago

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
Sadly it does - mine's a new Trackpad which came with my 2021 M1 iMac - a bit blooming annoying, but not the end of the world!
I found my peace with the wires, however when I think back of my Trackpad1 (the first Version), which I used for 5 years only over bluetooth I didnt have any problems. I wonder what might be the exact problem with the Trackpad 2 / 2021 versions, that they bahve so oddly.

"Once I heard someone in the forum saying, that this happens, becuase the devices go in into energy saving mode and kind of need a bit to be reacttivated again."

So if that is an issue which could be solves via a software update, I hope more people compalin about this directly to Apple and we might see a fix in 5-6 years (generally Apple needs that long to listen to its customers and adapt a change – see the new mpb from 2021...)

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
@Umutayb I have been free of this issue for a few years now, and frustratingly, don't know what fixed it. I had made one exchange with Apple that seemed like it might have helped a bit, but the issue was still there. At some point it seemingly went away on its own, and I don't recall any clear event that made the difference. I am still using the same computer, so it wasn't an issue with my Mac. It might have been a software update that fixed it, or it might have been something in the environment (although I don't recall removing or adding any hardware, furniture, or other devices that made an obvious difference).

Even though it has been many years since this was an issue for me, I do remember how frustrating it was - I hope it's resolved for you (and anyone else struggling with it) soon. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reactions: SoleteWeno

okeania

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Türkiye
May be you already tried this but in case you didn't give it a go: Just replace the nearest hard disk etc. I tried everything and none worked except this one.

If its working with wire and trouble with bluetooth I thought then it must be something else interfering then it solved my problem with MTP2.

realsunny

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
I found a lot of useful information in this thread and want to share my own to see whether it can help you guys.

As a lot of people mentioned above, it is definitely bluetooth wireless signal issue + magic trackpad 2 firmware sleep and wake up strategy.

Observations:
1. Plugin the lightning cable connected to computer, wired connection.
no lag issue because it is wired connection instead of bluetooth

2. Plugin the lightning cable connected to any power adapter instead of computer, wireless connection.
no lag issue. In this case, it is bluetooth connection. However, I guess it is because the magic trackpad is connect to the power thus it is does not need to worry about power saving (sleep and wake up) issue.

So if you can accept plugin the lightning cable, either way above is ok.

3. No lightning cable plugin, wireless connection.
3.1 As mentioned by others, if you hold the magic trackpad on one hand or touch the metal frame by hand, no lag issue. I guess it is because human hand holding or touching the trackpad can somehow improve the trackpad's signal
3.2 If you put the magic trackpad right next to your magic keyboard and let the aluminum frame of magic trackpad and that of magic keyboard put together, no lag issue. I also tried to use ipad pro instead of magic keyboard and put the frames of magic trackpad and that of ipad pro together, no lag issue. However, iphone does not help. I guess it is because the antenna's signal is improved by having a larger aluminum frame of magick keyboard or ipad. Putting ipad at the bottom is also ok, but I think it is too luxury to do so...
3.3 If you put the magic trackpad on the desk and put Aluminum foil paper under the trackpad
3.3.1 If the Aluminum paper is cutted into the trackpad's shape (someone mentioned this method in the thread and it worked for him/her), in my case, it could improve the situation, however, I still have the lag issue even if I put multiple layers under the trackpad. My guess is that the size is too small.
3.3.2 If the Aluminum paper is large, even if single layer, it could solve the issue. I tried several sizes, I found roughly 1.5x size of the little black Apple cleaning cloth for your MBP (not the expensive one) or larger would have no lag issue. (The only thing is that you might want to put desk pad or mouse pad on top of the Aluminum paper for good appearance.)
I guess the reason is that large Aluminum foil paper reflection helps to improve the bluetooth signal. So I guess some metal board should also work (macbook, ipad, or metal desktop).

Hope it helps and hope apple solve this issue by firmware upgrade.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have a new MacBook Pro 14" and I'm using it in clamshell mode with Apple's new silver and black peripherals (Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Keyboard). The mouse and keyboard work fine. The trackpad has input lag just enough to be annoying. It's gone when plugged in via lightning to my Studio Display, but present when not. It's fine for gestures and what not, but if I try to use it in place of the mouse it is very frustrating.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I have a new MacBook Pro 14" and I'm using it in clamshell mode with Apple's new silver and black peripherals (Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Keyboard). The mouse and keyboard work fine. The trackpad has input lag just enough to be annoying. It's gone when plugged in via lightning to my Studio Display, but present when not. It's fine for gestures and what not, but if I try to use it in place of the mouse it is very frustrating.
Recently I got some problem with the Magic Trackpad 2 also. There is perceivable input lag and the battery drains much faster, say 10% a day, which is unprecedented. I think there is something wrong with Bluetooth on macOS (again). Same here using MacBook Pro 14-inch running latest macOS Monterey 12.3.1, not in clamshell mode. The trackpad is just next to the MBP.

I just tried to unpair the Magic TrackPad and connect it again and see if the battery drain / input lag is better.

Last edited:

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
The Magic Trackpad has been slightly updated in 2021 (the one with the round corners.) I still wonder, whether the input lag continues on these models.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Seems like trackpad BT issues have persisted for years. My 24 iMac has the same weird lag issues unless plugged in. Keyboard and Mouse seemingly work fine so no idea why. Almost makes me want to sell it a get a 16” MBP ha.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I can confirm that the connection issue and battery drain improved after deleting the trackpad in Bluetooth settings and then re-pairing it to the Mac by plugging in.

Reactions: Fravin

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
I bought one a couple of weeks ago. And the same old problems are still present.

The surface of the 2021 is a bit rough then the old one. Except that, they work and feel the same.
Thats so sad and terrifying. Im 100% sure Apple sint aware of this / doesnt care, since less people will notice it – especially if they never have been used to a lag-free trackpad. But I assume, that you dont have any issues once you plug the cable in? Thanks!

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thats so sad and terrifying. Im 100% sure Apple sint aware of this / doesnt care, since less people will notice it – especially if they never have been used to a lag-free trackpad. But I assume, that you dont have any issues once you plug the cable in? Thanks!

No issues while hooked up.

In fact I have been using the Magic Keyboard with Numerical keys and the Magic TrackPad hooked since 2015.

My olde 2015 iMac had so many BT dropouts that I simply plugged them in. And have been using it plugged since then.

Reactions: Kontikonsumi

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
I found a lot of useful information in this thread and want to share my own to see whether it can help you guys.

As a lot of people mentioned above, it is definitely bluetooth wireless signal issue + magic trackpad 2 firmware sleep and wake up strategy.

Observations:
1. Plugin the lightning cable connected to computer, wired connection.
no lag issue because it is wired connection instead of bluetooth

2. Plugin the lightning cable connected to any power adapter instead of computer, wireless connection.
no lag issue. In this case, it is bluetooth connection. However, I guess it is because the magic trackpad is connect to the power thus it is does not need to worry about power saving (sleep and wake up) issue.

So if you can accept plugin the lightning cable, either way above is ok.

3. No lightning cable plugin, wireless connection.
3.1 As mentioned by others, if you hold the magic trackpad on one hand or touch the metal frame by hand, no lag issue. I guess it is because human hand holding or touching the trackpad can somehow improve the trackpad's signal
3.2 If you put the magic trackpad right next to your magic keyboard and let the aluminum frame of magic trackpad and that of magic keyboard put together, no lag issue. I also tried to use ipad pro instead of magic keyboard and put the frames of magic trackpad and that of ipad pro together, no lag issue. However, iphone does not help. I guess it is because the antenna's signal is improved by having a larger aluminum frame of magick keyboard or ipad. Putting ipad at the bottom is also ok, but I think it is too luxury to do so...
3.3 If you put the magic trackpad on the desk and put Aluminum foil paper under the trackpad
3.3.1 If the Aluminum paper is cutted into the trackpad's shape (someone mentioned this method in the thread and it worked for him/her), in my case, it could improve the situation, however, I still have the lag issue even if I put multiple layers under the trackpad. My guess is that the size is too small.
3.3.2 If the Aluminum paper is large, even if single layer, it could solve the issue. I tried several sizes, I found roughly 1.5x size of the little black Apple cleaning cloth for your MBP (not the expensive one) or larger would have no lag issue. (The only thing is that you might want to put desk pad or mouse pad on top of the Aluminum paper for good appearance.)
I guess the reason is that large Aluminum foil paper reflection helps to improve the bluetooth signal. So I guess some metal board should also work (macbook, ipad, or metal desktop).

Hope it helps and hope apple solve this issue by firmware upgrade.

ok I'm late to the game but I'm glad I found this thread because I was about to loose sleep over this because I thought my mind was going crazy.

I want to describe my situation and see if you guys can tell me if I'm at the right place.

I had a magic trackpad. I bought one but returned it because it was on the wrong credit card.

Then I bought it again but this time I felt a bit wrong. (Maybe the first one was also but I can't be sure now). Basically maybe 1 out of 10 times, the starting input would just disappear. It would not matter if it's 1 finger or 2. It's almost as if it takes 1 second to warm up. I can literally feel my finger moving across the pad but the mouse would not move.

I thought it was software, so I re-paired the thing. Reboot trackpad and computer. Same thing.

Finally I thought it was the wireless being bad, so I removed all the accessories around the mac mini same thing.

Then finally I tried the wire connection. Works perfect.

The thing is, I'm not sure I buy the whole "sleeping" feature of the trackpad that causes this because sometimes the "lost" signal can be just my fingers being away for just a FEW seconds! I'm not talking about idling for minutes!

Also one more clue. It seems like a very small initial input would make it worse. Like if I do big swipe as my FIRST input, it less prone to this issue. But if I'm STARTING with a 1 mm move, it's more problematic. No clue if this is my imagination (I'm loosing my mind)

So at this point what should I do? Return and buy again? Is it even worth it since it doesn't appear to be hardware specific?

Or should I start playing with tin foil? (this is the most ridiculous thing I've read about apple.....)

Last edited:

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
ok I'm late to the game but I'm glad I found this thread because I was about to loose sleep over this because I thought my mind was going crazy.

I want to describe my situation and see if you guys can tell me if I'm at the right place.

I had a magic trackpad. I bought one but returned it because it was on the wrong credit card.

Then I bought it again but this time I felt a bit wrong. (Maybe the first one was also but I can't be sure now). Basically maybe 1 out of 10 times, the starting input would just disappear. It would not matter if it's 1 finger or 2. It's almost as if it takes 1 second to warm up. I can literally feel my finger moving across the pad but the mouse would not move.

I thought it was software, so I re-paired the thing. Reboot trackpad and computer. Same thing.

Finally I thought it was the wireless being bad, so I removed all the accessories around the mac mini same thing.

Then finally I tried the wire connection. Works perfect.

The thing is, I'm not sure I buy the whole "sleeping" feature of the trackpad that causes this because sometimes the "lost" signal can be just my fingers being away for just a FEW seconds! I'm not talking about idling for minutes!

Also one more clue. It seems like a very small initial input would make it worse. Like if I do big swipe as my FIRST input, it less prone to this issue. But if I'm STARTING with a 1 mm move, it's more problematic. No clue if this is my imagination (I'm loosing my mind)

So at this point what should I do? Return and buy again? Is it even worth it since it doesn't appear to be hardware specific?

Or should I start playing with tin foil? (this is the most ridiculous thing I've read about apple.....)
Dont worry too much. I wa sthe sme the first time I bought it. Afterwards I plugged in the cable, no worries anymore.

I guess apple prioritizes battery duration over usability.... And they think, "if the person needs this he can plug in the cable".....

Reactions: ZebedeeG

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
Dont worry too much. I wa sthe sme the first time I bought it. Afterwards I plugged in the cable, no worries anymore.

I guess apple prioritizes battery duration over usability.... And they think, "if the person needs this he can plug in the cable".....
yep fighting it for a week with weird mojo (connecting it to my keyboard, putting tin foil under it etc) and then I gave up, I plugged it in and it's now silky smooth. I can tell the difference, it's huge

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
yep fighting it for a week with weird mojo (connecting it to my keyboard, putting tin foil under it etc) and then I gave up, I plugged it in and it's now silky smooth. I can tell the difference, it's huge
Yup, doing this for years now and not I just dont see my keyboard and trackpad as "wireless". Its ok, since they are always on my desk anyways.

Hatake

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2023
I've replaced 3 times and the lag still exist. It pissed my off many times.

I'm looking the issue around the internet but only this thread has many people having the same issue. What's the point when we use MT2 always plugged in ?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I just my trackpad 3 a few days ago and so far it's working seemlesly. There have been no lag, mus-clicks, drop outs or anything.

realsunny

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
sorry to hear that you are suffering from this annoying issue. Just have a thin foil, put it under the trackpad, and one more trick, make it larger than your trackpad and make sure your palm rest is also on the foil while you are using the trackpad. Something magic would happen, should be no lagging. As I mentioned in the previous post, holding the trackpad on another hand has no lagging issue, this has similar effect. If you think the foil under your palm rest is not nice-looking, just put the screen cleaning cloth on it (my desk is black so it looks ok). It's weird that connecting to your keyboard does not help. If your have a magic keyboard with alumnium framework, putting the keyboard metal framework and trackpad's metal framework together should help. This seems to be a somehow "elegant" solution. but I do not use magic keyboard, so I used the way I mentioned in this thread. Hope this could make you sleep well ... I understand someone can accept the solution of having a wired connect someone cannot ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.