Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lisarobbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
40F86429-19BA-4F06-8B96-35BD59F7E8CC.jpeg
Hi everyone! I’m new here - wondering if anyone else has this problem? I have the new Apple Pencil and iPad Pro - and where the Apple Pencil magnetically attaches to the edge of the iPad Pro the surface of the iPad Pro edge is being damaged. I’ll upload a photo to detail! These marks cannot be wiped off - you can feel the damage when you run you finger across it - basically the magnets in the Pencil are removing the surface of the iPad finish. There are corresponding marks on the Pencil in space grey to match!
Thanks for your advice!
{ps this is about 2 weeks old!}
Lis

Reactions: Andeddu

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
This to me looks as if they are rubbing marks. When you transport the iPad does the pencil have room to wiggle around?

Anyway, I would contact Apple and see what their opinion is.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you take the iPad with you, in a case, and with the pencil left in place on the side? Likely the pencil gets to move around too much, leaving the marks

phoreohphore

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
View attachment 809671 Hi everyone! I’m new here - wondering if anyone else has this problem? I have the new Apple Pencil and iPad Pro - and where the Apple Pencil magnetically attaches to the edge of the iPad Pro the surface of the iPad Pro edge is being damaged. I’ll upload a photo to detail! These marks cannot be wiped off - you can feel the damage when you run you finger across it - basically the magnets in the Pencil are removing the surface of the iPad finish. There are corresponding marks on the Pencil in space grey to match!
Thanks for your advice!
{ps this is about 2 weeks old!}
Lis

Same here for me! It’s acutally broken through a few layers of the powder coating! Going to check in with apple about this.

Attachments

• 9B309415-8183-407B-8F46-DFC2BEFC3452.jpeg
    9B309415-8183-407B-8F46-DFC2BEFC3452.jpeg
    729.4 KB · Views: 5,777

Lisarobbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Same here for me! It’s acutally broken through a few layers of the powder coating! Going to check in with apple about this.

Yep through the powder coating here too! Be interested to hear what response you get from Apple! It happened within days of getting the new iPad Pro - hasn’t gotten much worse since though.

fonziewonzie

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles
Same here. I actually spoke to Apple Support on the phone, and they told me to bring the iPad to an Apple Store with the Apple Pencil as well.

Let’s see what happens next.

Attachments

• 754EB975-ECA6-4BDF-B394-6075E79B8355.jpeg
    754EB975-ECA6-4BDF-B394-6075E79B8355.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,258

ArrayOfLilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
Same here. And I keep my pencil at home, I attach it only for charging before use, few times only (10-15 times maybe). (Its marks are less visible, of course.)

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I’ve not had this issue on an 11” iPad Pro WiFi model. I’ve had mine since mid January and other than the tiniest scuff mark on the flat edge of the Pencil, I haven’t seen any kind of scuffing on the iPad.

ArrayOfLilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
I attached it today (only once) to see what was happening. And a whole patch of coloring came off at the same time. How can I charge it from now on? Maybe through a kitchen towel?! It will be funny...

(I attached and removed immediately, there wasn’t any displacement or friction.)

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
12.9 3rd gen LTE 1tb SG.

1st production run. Had it since they started shipping months ago.

I use the ipad 5 days a week and the pencil is in use daily.

To date no scratches or scuffs on the top. I “place” the pencil directly on top and it attaches that way. I dont “slide” the pencil up onto the top nor do I slide it around. I just place it and it sticks.

The pencil still looks brand new and I’ve had it as long as the ipad.

Reactions: JayMysterio

ArrayOfLilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
12.9 3rd gen LTE 1tb SG.

1st production run. Had it since they started shipping months ago.

I use the ipad 5 days a week and the pencil is in use daily.

To date no scratches or scuffs on the top. I “place” the pencil directly on top and it attaches that way. I dont “slide” the pencil up onto the top nor do I slide it around. I just place it and it sticks.

The pencil still looks brand new and I’ve had it as long as the ipad.

Good to know.

So this means that there is probably a faulty batch. I think it's worth checking out at Apple.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

phoreohphore

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
Update!

Went to Apple store for genius appointment. Checked the instore models before it to see if they had marks but they didn’t.

Showed the issue and the employee checked his iPad guide of faults and it wasn’t listed in there. Went to confer with his colleagues too see what they thought, some said it’s ‘wear and tear’ some didn’t. But they all agreed it’s the magnets that are causing it.
It was his call as to what to do as it’s not a known issue (yet) - he asked how I placed the Apple Pencil on there, trying to infer that somehow I put it on there wrong (what possible way can you attach it wrong and cause that damage!?).

In the end they are replacing the whole unit for me. He was very nice about it but it’s defiently not an issue Apple knows about yet so your mileage may vary.

Reactions: ace98 and EugW

Frieg

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
Update!

Went to Apple store for genius appointment. Checked the instore models before it to see if they had marks but they didn’t.

Showed the issue and the employee checked his iPad guide of faults and it wasn’t listed in there. Went to confer with his colleagues too see what they thought, some said it’s ‘wear and tear’ some didn’t. But they all agreed it’s the magnets that are causing it.
It was his call as to what to do as it’s not a known issue (yet) - he asked how I placed the Apple Pencil on there, trying to infer that somehow I put it on there wrong (what possible way can you attach it wrong and cause that damage!?).

In the end they are replacing the whole unit for me. He was very nice about it but it’s defiently not an issue Apple knows about yet so your mileage may vary.

Apple employees are not allowed to confirm in any way that they have seen any form of issue before or that it is a known issue even if they had multiple times, it's in their contracts. they always have to make the customer believe that apple devices never fail and that he is the first reporting that specific issue. if they deviate from that guidelines they are in serious trouble. that's the reason why sometimes the conversations become somewhat ridiculous if the issue is already widespread known but the guidelines haven't been updated how to deal officially with a known issue.

Last edited:

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Apple employees are not allowed to confirm in any way that they have seen any form of issue before or that it is a known issue even if they had multiple times, it's in their contracts. they always have to make the customer believe that apple devices never fail and that he is the first reporting that specific issue. if they deviate from that guidelines they are in serious trouble. that's the reason why sometimes the conversations become somewhat ridiculous if the issue is already widespread known but the guidelines haven't been updated how to deal officially with a known issue.

Apple is an Orwellian company forcing doublethink on its staff: "I've never seen this issue before but in other cases the problem was..."

Ant143

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2019
I noticed the same issue just a few days into having the Pencil and IPad Pro, and have only had it for a week and 2 days now. The Apple Pencil (2nd Generation) is worn, revealing what appears as black dots, initially causing me to think something was burning, but upon close inspection seems to be revealing the shiny magnet underneath, and has simultaneously worn into the outer edge of the IPad, causing permanent cosmetic damage.

I went to the Apple store near me yesterday to show the damage, and was initially told my iPad and pencil would be replaced, then upon the return of the employees, having spoken with their “engineer”, was rescinded the replacement offer, and was asked if I carried the iPad in a bag that might contain metal particles that might have caught the magnet that might cause friction and wear. This is not at all my case, having babied this a machine from day 1, their assessment and backing out on their offer to blame me for a weeks wear left me feeling very unsatisfied, and I intend to follow up.

Previous to my visit there, I had not looked up this issue to see if it was a common occurrence, but I am seeing it quite frequently here and on various forums now.

Attachments

• E06F7A8C-A87B-4F7B-853E-118EA1A60F2A.jpeg
    E06F7A8C-A87B-4F7B-853E-118EA1A60F2A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,834

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

Totally agree ! I have experienced this a number on times this is Apple Employee favourite lone "Oh really we have not seen or heard this issue ever before" this is their answer to most of the issues which are widespread !!

ace98

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
I have the same problem for my new Ipad Pro 2020 12.9 inch. Spent over 1000€ for this thing and now apple is telling me they won't cover it because I probably caused it myself.
This obviously doesn't look like an accidental scratch from dropping it or something else. To cause this, one would have to sit down and scratch it intentionally at those two very specific points. Ridiculous! Why would I do that to a newly bought Ipad. Also my whole pen was smeared black from the space grey coating, so it's not scratched but probably melted off the Ipad. It's good that I found this post. I will definitely mention it, as they told me too that this kind of problem was not registered before.

Anyways, I won't give up.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-09 um 20.46.16.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-09 um 20.46.16.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 538
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-09 um 20.46.29.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-09 um 20.46.29.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,102

Invisible Elf

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
That's so weird. I have had my pencil permanently attached for like 2 years, sometimes in a bag when travelling and I can't see any marks at all on mine.

ace98

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
That's so weird. I have had my pencil permanently attached for like 2 years, sometimes in a bag when travelling and I can't see any marks at all on mine.
Yes and that's definitely how it should be and is expected from a product this expensive. But apparently there is something wrong at the magnets for some people. Really jealous of you right now hehe.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
I use a silicone sleeve for my Apple Pencil. No marks on the edge of my iPad or on the pencil after 6 months.

Reactions: ouimetnick

ace98

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
I have the same problem for my new Ipad Pro 2020 12.9 inch. Spent over 1000€ for this thing and now apple is telling me they won't cover it because I probably caused it myself.
This obviously doesn't look like an accidental scratch from dropping it or something else. To cause this, one would have to sit down and scratch it intentionally at those two very specific points. Ridiculous! Why would I do that to a newly bought Ipad. Also my whole pen was smeared black from the space grey coating, so it's not scratched but probably melted off the Ipad. It's good that I found this post. I will definitely mention it, as they told me too that this kind of problem was not registered before.

Anyways, I won't give up.
UPDATE: after several chats, calls with the apple support and going to a different service provider I was told by the apple support employee that was responsible for my case that the engineers at apple said that this is caused by dust particles and therefore will not be covered by them.

So according to them dust particles get stuck between pencil and iPad and that causes the scratching.

I still don't understand how that could cause the magnet to stick out of the apple pencil. The apple pencil should be of a quality that is resistant to that kind of micro particles. And how on earth am I responsible for dust particles, which are naturally occurring around me. How is not every single apple pencil having the same problem then, since dust particles are everywhere. Are they implying I have more dust particles around me than everyone else? That's ridiculous! What was I supposed to do to prevent this. Wipe my freaking pen every time I use it?

This is so frustrating honestly. Having to experience this with a brand new iPad.

ace98

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
UPDATE: after several chats, calls with the apple support and going to a different service provider I was told by the apple support employee that was responsible for my case that the engineers at apple said that this is caused by dust particles and therefore will not be covered by them.

So according to them dust particles get stuck between pencil and iPad and that causes the scratching.

I still don't understand how that could cause the magnet to stick out of the apple pencil. The apple pencil should be of a quality that is resistant to that kind of micro particles. And how on earth am I responsible for dust particles, which are naturally occurring around me. How is not every single apple pencil having the same problem then, since dust particles are everywhere. Are they implying I have more dust particles around me than everyone else? That's ridiculous! What was I supposed to do to prevent this. Wipe my freaking pen every time I use it?

This is so frustrating honestly. Having to experience this with a brand new iPad.
Another UPDATE:
I was called today and was told that ONLY my apple pencil will be replaced to prevent further damage.

I am not really satisfied, because they basically agree that the pencil is defect and causes the scratching but won't replace my iPad... hmmm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.