Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Ever since I updated to 15.4 on my iPhone & iPad, the mail app stops fetching new mails in the background from my set schedule (15 minutes) after a few days, and I stop getting any notifications or even an updated badge on the app icon. And after that I have to open the app manually for it to fetch any new mails, as if it was set to that... It happens on both devices, and only on Gmail(fetch) accounts, but not iCloud(push).

The only temporary fix I found is to reboot, but it only works for 2-3 days before it stops working again. I've also tried:
  • Tapping around the fetch settings to somehow have it "update" that setting
  • Being on different networks, including cellular
To no avail..

Anyone else with the same issue after updating?

Last edited:

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Sorry, original response was answering a question you weren’t asking. Need coffee. Haha
No worries!:)
I looked up the thing with Gmail, and there are people with issues that also started around the same time as this with the stock app. Not sure if they mean an update to the Gmail app or iOS though.

I think I've rebooted my devices 3-4 times so far, and then they stop fetching (Gmail) accounts after 2-3 days.. Spoke to a support rep who told me they haven't heard of this issue before, claimed it's logged now though.

Reactions: max2 and decypher44

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
15.4.1 didn't fix it, started again just 12 hours later on my phone and a few days on iPad... Still surprised no one else seem to have the same issue.

jksheehan

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Gmail is doing the same thing to me. After restart or app re-install, it will work for a few days, but then all of a sudden will just stop fetching new mail.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Gmail is doing the same thing to me. After restart or app re-install, it will work for a few days, but then all of a sudden will just stop fetching new mail.
Their official app? I saw some reviews on App Store about it that @decypher44 mentioned, but it seems so strange that both the official Gmail app and stock mail app have the same issue.

Yes, but with stock mail app.
Same for me.

The weird thing is that I can see both my devices at least connecting to Gmail through the activity window, despite the fact that the mail app isn't updated at all for any of my Gmail accounts.

MrSky

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2022
This has been an on going issue for a awhile. This happen with other iOS too, especially with multiple email accounts . The only way to get around the problem for me is to disable “push” and change iCloud and all mails to “fetch” then you can set your fetch time.

dahak777

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
Yes, this is happening to me as well since i have updated to 15.4 as well. it seems to only be my push accounts

Danweis1

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Same here. Gmail. Not only does new mail not load automatically, after I get it to load manually, when deleting, it takes 3-4 seconds to load/show the next email. Only happens with the native iPadOS Mail app. Mail on my iPhone works fine. And, the Gmail app works perfectly on my iPad.

gekko1259

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2022
Same issue for me with fetching gmail messages on the iOS mail app. Issue started with updating to 15.4 both on the Iphone and Ipad.

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Noticed this issue this morning when I didn't see any notifications of my emails when I woke up. Figured it may have been a glitch with the app so I forced closed it and opened it up again and test sent myself an email from another account but it never came through after the 15 min interval I set. Had to manually open the app to get the email.

Edit: Should mention this is happening with my gmail account on iOS 15.4.1

Last edited:

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
Yes, I can confirm, I have the same problem using the stock iOS 15.4.1 Mail App with Gmail (fetch interval is set to 15 mins).

Funny thing is, also the stock iOS Calendar App - which I use with Google Calendar - doesn‘t fetch new appointments anymore. I have to manually start it.

Using the native Gmail App as a workaround for now.

Can anybody confirm that setting all accounts in iOS Mail settings (also e.g. iCloud, Gmail can‘t use push anyway) to „fetch“ fixes the problem?

Last edited:

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Yes, I can confirm, I have the same problem using the stock iOS 15.4.1 Mail App with Gmail (fetch interval is set to 15 mins).

Funny thing is, also the stock iOS Calendar App - which I use with Google Calendar - doesn‘t fetch new appointments anymore. I have to manually start it.

Using the native Gmail App as a workaround for now.

Can anybody confirm that setting all accounts in iOS Mail settings (also e.g. iCloud, Gmail can‘t use push anyway) to „fetch“ fixes the problem?
Interesting. I mentioned earlier that the devices connect to Google and seem to do something that registers server-side, but not locally. I thought it was just the calendar that did that, but I use iCloud for that so I couldn't really confirm.

Does setting iCloud to fetch as well solve the issue for you?

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I'm not sure if I'm going crazy, but I think since 15.4.1 my devices seem to fetch new mails in the background after a network change. Toggling WiFi off/on on my iPad makes it fetch at least once right after. My iPhone switches so often that I can't really confirm on it, but it has actually been fetching mails randomly on cellular. Maybe when it switches between 4G/5G as well as towers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.