Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
Interesting. I mentioned earlier that the devices connect to Google and seem to do something that registers server-side, but not locally. I thought it was just the calendar that did that, but I use iCloud for that so I couldn't really confirm.

Does setting iCloud to fetch as well solve the issue for you?
Haven‘t tested that yet. But my gut feeling says no.

By the way, any chance that you have restored your affected iOS devices from previous backups? I haven‘t done a clean install at least since iOS 12 and I suspect that might be the issue. The stock Mail App has long been unstable and flaky for me (e.g. it often complains about server credentials) in combination w. Gmail. Maybe it‘s time for a clean install.

And yes, there might be something w. switching connections. At least when using my iPhone on WiFi only Mail stops refreshing. I have to confirm that happens on cellular too.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Haven‘t tested that yet. But my gut feeling says no.

By the way, any chance that you have restored your affected iOS devices from previous backups? I haven‘t done a clean install at least since iOS 12 and I suspect that might be the issue. The stock Mail App has long been unstable and flaky for me (e.g. it often complains about server credentials) in combination w. Gmail. Maybe it‘s time for a clean install.

And yes, there might be something w. switching connections. At least when using my iPhone on WiFi only Mail stops refreshing. I have to confirm that happens on cellular too.
I switched to my new iPhone 13 back around Christmas, but not with a fresh install. I only see the "Account error Gmail: server error" or whatever it says briefly every few months, but it goes away after refreshing the inbox.

The support recommended reinstalling the Mail app, but I haven't done it yet to avoid re-downloading all mails again. But considering the fact that this happens to so many people and maybe even changed in 15.4.1, this feels like a iOS-level issue.

MrSky

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2022
Yes, I can confirm, I have the same problem using the stock iOS 15.4.1 Mail App with Gmail (fetch interval is set to 15 mins).

Funny thing is, also the stock iOS Calendar App - which I use with Google Calendar - doesn‘t fetch new appointments anymore. I have to manually start it.

Using the native Gmail App as a workaround for now.

Can anybody confirm that setting all accounts in iOS Mail settings (also e.g. iCloud, Gmail can‘t use push anyway) to „fetch“ fixes the problem?
This has been an on going issue for a awhile for me. especially with multiple email accounts. This happen with other iOS too. not all of them but some of them. It went to a point that I don't even bother with testing to see if it works on the new IOS or not.
The only way to get around the problem for me is to disable “push” and change iCloud and all mails to “fetch” then you can set your fetch time, I use 15minutes. This seems to work for me.

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
I switched to my new iPhone 13 back around Christmas, but not with a fresh install. I only see the "Account error Gmail: server error" or whatever it says briefly every few months, but it goes away after refreshing the inbox.

The support recommended reinstalling the Mail app, but I haven't done it yet to avoid re-downloading all mails again. But considering the fact that this happens to so many people and maybe even changed in 15.4.1, this feels like a iOS-level issue.
I tested that in combination w. the „server credential problem“ once, didn‘t help.
This has been an on going issue for a awhile for me. especially with multiple email accounts. This happen with other iOS too. not all of them but some of them. It went to a point that I don't even bother with testing to see if it works on the new IOS or not.
The only way to get around the problem for me is to disable “push” and change iCloud and all mails to “fetch” then you can set your fetch time, I use 15minutes. This seems to work for me.
Do you manually set all listed accounts - also iCloud - to „fetch“, or do you also switch off the master „push“ button on top?

MrSky

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2022
I tested that in combination w. the „server credential problem“ once, didn‘t help.

Do you manually set all listed accounts - also iCloud - to „fetch“, or do you also switch off the master „push“ button on top?
yes, turn off the master "push" button at the top. . and set all listed account to fetch

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
Another Update: The Mail update problem seems to be fixed, can anyone confirm? Maybe it was in fact Google’s problem and they have solved it server-side?

Pearsey

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Ever since I updated to 15.4 on my iPhone & iPad, the mail app stops fetching new mails in the background from my set schedule (15 minutes) after a few days, and I stop getting any notifications or even an updated badge on the app icon. And after that I have to open the app manually for it to fetch any new mails, as if it was set to that... It happens on both devices, and only on Gmail(fetch) accounts, but not iCloud(push).

The only temporary fix I found is to reboot, but it only works for 2-3 days before it stops working again. I've also tried:
  • Tapping around the fetch settings to somehow have it "update" that setting
  • Being on different networks, including cellular
To no avail..

Anyone else with the same issue after updating?

I had this back on 15.3.

I deleted email accounts.
Deleted and reinstalled the mail app.
Added back in email accounts both pop and an IMAP one.

Been running very smooth and quick to update both using fetch.

jpr281

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
on 15.4.1 using Gmail app I had this same problem for a few weeks but it seems to have fixed itself this morning (hoping I haven't jinxed it now)

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Still getting issues with it on iOS 15.4.1.

Stock email. It will sometimes not apparently check for new email for hours. Even though they should be "pushed" to my account. When I get it to update, suddenly like 10 new email messages appear.

Slightly annoying, but not something I'm really worried about. As long as I am still getting email, it's not a huge issue for me.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2016
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the iOS Mail app is awful. Every year a new version of iOS rolls around, and the iOS Mail app has bugs with Exchange / Gmail accounts. It's either sync issues, not receiving notifications, or not receiving new emails. Always. Every year.

I highly recommend you look elsewhere for mail apps. Especially if you're managing multiple email addresses.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Well, I just decided to power my phone off and then on once again.

Mail seems to be syncing up normally for the past couple of days. We'll see how long that lasts..

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I also recall the mail app working briefly for a day or two without any issues last week or so. But it's back to not fetching at all now.. Last automatic fetch on my phone was late Friday night and I don't think my iPad has synced in the background since that brief period.

Rebooting is still the only fix, but it only works for 1-3 days before it stops again.

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
I also recall the mail app working briefly for a day or two without any issues last week or so. But it's back to not fetching at all now.. Last automatic fetch on my phone was late Friday night and I don't think my iPad has synced in the background since that brief period.

Rebooting is still the only fix, but it only works for 1-3 days before it stops again.
I can confirm, the mail fetch bug is active again.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Yep, after rebooting it worked for 2-3 days, now it's back to not fetching my emails once again as well.

Oh well. Guess we gotta wait for an update.

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Unfortunately it hasn't been fixed for me. It worked well since updating on Monday but it just started happening to me again. Guess I'm gonna have to use the gmail app for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.