Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Is this a bug? Getting the service battery warning when checking battery health in system preferences. 6 cycles and 100% capacity. What is going on?
Has it shown this service recommended all the time and just started?
Mine has 5 charge cycles and it says "Normal" in that menu. Need to keep it an eye for now on in case it changes soon in my unit too.

jephdub

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Has it shown this service recommended all the time and just started?
Mine has 5 charge cycles and it says "Normal" in that menu. Need to keep it an eye for now on in case it changes soon in my unit too.
Pretty sure it showed Normal but unsure when or why it changed

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Pretty sure it showed Normal but unsure when or why it changed
I'd keep close eye on that battery for now on. Probably wise to give a call to Apple and check.
These batteries can be nasty if things go south with them.
Can you see any signs of battery swelling or overheating?
You battery FCC value seems fine but then again I would not count on that only.
Also this battery condition report is vague, we have seen badly wobbling and swollen Macbooks in this forum with battery health saying normal. So I guess when it actually alarms for something, it may be worth to check.
I probably just jinxed my MBA by saying this. :)

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Is this a bug? Getting the service battery warning when checking battery health in system preferences. 6 cycles and 100% capacity. What is going on?

What does the battery health in the system preferences says?

Try resetting NVRAM. I think in the M1 you only need to shutdown & power on again (or perhaps even a restart should do it).

Also try diagnostics

jephdub

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
What does the battery health in the system preferences says?

Try resetting NVRAM. I think in the M1 you only need to shutdown & power on again (or perhaps even a restart should do it).

Also try diagnostics
Yeah. Already shut down and restarted as well as diagnostics. Not resolved and no issues found.

Would it be due to having my phone connected drawing power without my Air plugged in, especially with a fresh battery?

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Yeah. Already shut down and restarted as well as diagnostics. Not resolved and no issues found.

Would it be due to having my phone connected drawing power without my Air plugged in, especially with a fresh battery?
It shouldn't, but who knows? Have you tried disconnecting the phone from your Mac? or plugging in the machine while the phone is connected?

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Maybe not going down just yet. That figure could be the maximum charge capacity for your battery.
There must be variations in all batteries.
For instance mine shows full charge capacity as 5140mAh.
That's more than the design capacity of 5103mAh
View attachment 1702240

Mine shows full charge capacity of 5191 with design capacity of 5103...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.09.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.09.57 PM.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: Quackers

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
This entire thread is based on terrible assumptions (why is my laptop losing battery faster hooked up to an external monitor, and why is my laptop losing battery faster than quoted when I max out the brightness).

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
here are my numbers for reference: - this is one a MacBook Air. This is with chrome, and safari on. micrsoft teams, one note, outlook and one drive enabled. Also Att.tv TV streaming
1609225245102.png

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
The reason I asked about battery management earlier is because (as people probably know) it will limit the charge level and show a lower capacity. I don't have an M1 Mac, but on my MBP 16 when enabled the reported capacity is quite a bit lower than when it's turned off. Of course, the reported capacity degradation is false in this case. This is documented by Apple.

So, one should not be looking at the remaining capacity and drawing any conclusions about battery health with the feature enabled.

Jakwob

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
How is you battery doing now? I posted on the m1 issues thread about my MBP M1 battery drain when running an external monitor (or even just the USB-C hub). When running an external display or USB hub my YouTube playback per 1% battery dropped from 12 minutes to 5-6 minutes. I contacted Apple support, it was escalated to senior support and some engineers took logs from my computer, but nothing out the ordinary was found. Just advised that peripheries can run the power down, even whilst asleep (which it did). As I was in the 14 day return window he said I could get it replaced, however it would likely behave the same. When nothing is plugged in, the battery is excellent. Now I just leave it plugged in normally as support advised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.