Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How is this even possible in clamshell mode, considering that the Mac's display is almost 4K, and the external monitor is 1080p? The external monitor has electrical power by itself, it just needs the pixel data to be sent to.
Or am I missing something?

The first rule of troubleshooting is to remove all variables. What is the battery life like, used regularly without the monitor and the 50% brightness Apple cites?

Last edited:

phl92

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2020
I did the Podcast settings, but where can I find Wake for network access?
But isn't iCloud one of the reasons to use a Mac? I mean, I work on my phone, I have all my stuff instantly on the Mac... Why would I want to turn iCloud off? This is like turning the sound off because it uses battery, too... For me.
For me as well, or how do you mean while my time being?

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
But isn't iCloud one of the reasons to use a Mac? I mean, I work on my phone, I have all my stuff instantly on the Mac... Why would I want to turn iCloud off? This is like turning the sound off because it uses battery, too... For me.

I meant turn off temporarily until Apple resolves issues with.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Should I be worried?

Full Charge Capacity is already going down... 😒

Bat.png

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Seems like some of us have serious battery related issues & others have battery related paranoia. I think we just need to see if we are getting more or less 16 hours and 14 hours of on-screen time on MBP & MBA respectively for general activities such as browsing & word processing with multitasking. The 20 hours & 18 hours mark seems to be for watching movies/videos on Apple TV without having to do any multitasking. & only expect this in the case if you is charging to full 100% (it is usually recommended to keep the charge to 80% max).

Reactions: Quackers

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Seems like some of us have serious battery related issues & others have battery related paranoia. I think we just need to see if we are getting more or less 16 hours and 14 hours of on-screen time on MBP & MBA respectively for general activities such as browsing & word processing with multitasking. The 20 hours & 18 hours mark seems to be for watching movies/videos on Apple TV without having to do any multitasking. & only expect this in the case if you is charging to full 100% (it is usually recommended to keep the charge to 80% max).
Not 16 hours here but I got 12 hours use (surfing and watching YT vids in HD) with a 9 hour break whilst it was sleeping.
That got me down to 8%.
It might get better and it might not.
Either way it's more than I've had out of any previous laptop :)

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
What does the build in battery menu say? Does it say 98% too? Coconut battery is a third party app so I wouldn’t trust their numbers...
If you want to know more is simple, just compare CoconutBattery or similar apps info vs running ioreg -w 0 -f -r -c AppleSmartBattery in terminal. Then do the math yourself with ne values provided and see who is right. ;) In my unit using the mathematics I was taught at school I don't get the same value MacOS is telling me and this is just a question of simple percentage calculations, so I don't think my teachers and schoolbooks at the time were wrong. :D

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Should I be worried?

Full Charge Capacity is already going down... 😒
That is not really acceptable in my opinion but this seem to be going on with MBA, so probably it is not getting better with another unit. Mine also is below 100%, and was so right out of the box.
What your Coconutbattery history shows about where is started and how it as changed during the time you have had it?

Just for example I had MBP 13" 2019 nearly 1.5 years and battery FCC stay well above 100% all that time! Normal FCC was 5103mAh but mine was well above 5200mAh after that time.
So I guess in reality MBP has more like 11-12W larger battery. Anyway, with MBA I guess that is more or less normal still what we see.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
If you want to know more is simple, just compare CoconutBattery or similar apps info vs running ioreg -w 0 -f -r -c AppleSmartBattery in terminal. Then do the math yourself with ne values provided and see who is right. ;) In my unit using the mathematics I was taught at school I don't get the same value MacOS is telling me and this is just a question of simple percentage calculations, so I don't think my teachers and schoolbooks at the time were wrong. :D
Code:
"NominalChargeCapacity" = 4382
"DesignCapacity" = 4382
"AppleRawMaxCapacity" = 4233

That's what terminal is saying.

It started with 100% - now it's down to 97% (10 cycle count)

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Code:
"NominalChargeCapacity" = 4382
"DesignCapacity" = 4382
"AppleRawMaxCapacity" = 4233

That's what terminal is saying.

It started with 100% - now it's down to 97% (10 cycle count)
Now when you do the math between 4382 and 4233 we see there is no way is 100% using the math I was taught at school. :) Anyway, that is more or less the way MBA's are I guess because I had briefly MBA 2018 and it was also way under 100% and went down several percentages right away and at the time I thought it was because I received that machine with empty battery since it was sitting so long in sellers warehouse (mf date about 6 months earlier) but I guess it was not just for that then either...

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Another test today: at full brightness, I watched Netflix via Safari for 140 minutes, plus 30 minutes of trailers watching on youtube.
Battery went from 97 to 65%.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
I just realised it would be good if people shared their battery life while using the mac for a couple of hours doing this or that, with related display brightness, and see how much the battery drains for that little amount of time.
To have several of these real life tests would make it easier to understand if some people are affected by paranoia or real battery issues.

johnkree

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2015
Austria
I just realised it would be good if people shared their battery life while using the mac for a couple of hours doing this or that, with related display brightness, and see how much the battery drains for that little amount of time.
To have several of these real life tests would make it easier to understand if some people are affected by paranoia or real battery issues.
How should I track my usage. The Mac battery setting show just vague graphs... Is there a convenient way? I'm just using Netflix, Apple TV, this forum, Facetime and Reddit with it. I guess I get 12-14 hours depending on what I do. I found out that Reddit is using much more battery than this forum...

jephdub

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Is this a bug? Getting the service battery warning when checking battery health in system preferences. 6 cycles and 100% capacity. What is going on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.49.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.49.29 PM.png
    277.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.51.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.51.36 PM.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 92

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Another test today: at full brightness, I watched Netflix via Safari for 140 minutes, plus 30 minutes of trailers watching on youtube.

This means you're seeing almost 9 hours of battery life at maximum brightness when watching videos, which really isn't too far off the expectations of 10 hour battery life from NotebookCheck (also at max brightness). Screen brightness makes a huge difference.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
This sound a lot like what I see with mine (MBA M1). It uses around 9-10% battery per hour in very light use with display at max. -6 clicks. Not really much better than what my MBP 13" 2019 was in light use, could be even worse in very light use but that Intel liked to hog battery in more demanding use like playing music from Youtube where M1 is more efficient in that.

Yes, I think biggest confusion is that peoples just look at that vague battery information graph and go by that "information" without actually checking it anyway if it match to real use even remotely! For example I'm just looking at my battery graph and it claim I used my machine for over 5 hours with only about 10% battery use one day?!!?! I can say for sure this number it claims is pulled out of thin air and does not match what I measured myself with actual clock and watching battery percentage.

So far it seems I can get around 10-11 hours out of my MBA M1 is light use. No way getting 15-20 hours with decent display brightness with doing actually something. Maybe just leaving it on desktop or writing a book using simple text editor could give more that 10-11 but no in real use with Wifi and such...

Reactions: Le0M
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.