Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
I can't see what the issue is from the screen videos you posted. They have moiré effects and are going in and out of focus as the camera focus-hunts; given these limitations of the recording, I see nothing like what you describe.

You have a new clean SSD (due to mainboard replacement), and you have a clean install from a USB stick. Your machine also passes all virus checks (Malwarebytes, ClamAV etc).

Viruses don't persist across new motherboards and new SSDs, whilst also remaining undetected by AV software. You said this started with a torrent you downloaded 'years ago'. So if it was a virus it would have to be years-old, yet still evading detection by current AV systems? Your MBP is very unlikely to have a virus.

Given that you have an effectively new MBP and a new install of MacOS, yet still see the issue, the cause in all likelihood lies away from the MBP. Do you see the problem on any other machines, Apple or non-Apple? Could it be that you are sensitive to some screen artifacts like PWM / temporal dithering etc?

https://ledstrain.org/

Last edited:

HopefullSisyfus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Europe
Hello ,

thanks for your concern!
I am working on a windows laptop now which don't cause any discomfort. I have leant the same macbookpro of a friend for some time, and it is a pleasure to work on, just like a mac should be and why i bought again one. no problems whatsoever.

recording quality is not the best as it is compressed and recorded with an older iphone. :s It is not that obviosly to spot, but i always sensed there was something wrong with my screen from when opening those files .
so i inspected and made comparisons with other macbookspro.
The flickering impulses causes your focus to shift . and when paying attention you see shiverings in the screen that makes it move all the time. when just working a half hour on it i get real tence in my innerbrain(back of head) and have headache for a couple of days after :( i do think its from those " frequenties" Hertz from the pulsations
I can't work on it.

My geuss was it was implemented in my system as a virus. but its probably more a command/ program running in my base system? that doesn't cause more harm then just doing those screen things and making your life on your mac missarable.

I am also queit sure of it, as in those downloaded files there was a readme file. which had a strange figure made out of caracters and stated something like, I was ****** by ......

quiet scary while just having your screen act strange.

I was hoping there would be some kind of restoration program to retore my complete start up.

many thanks again.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Have you used other MacBook Pro computers other than yours? I am curious to know if you notice the same thing happening with other MacBook Pro computers that you don't own. For instance, going to a store (e.g. BestBuy) and using the MacBook Pro and whether you observe the same issue you do with your MacBook Pro. It could be that you are sensitive to the screen modulation frequency.

HopefullSisyfus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Europe
hi,
i did check with same macbookpro of a friend for some time. and on an older macbookpro (3years older) and i realy noticed the difference! it is much more relaxed when looking at them. nothing moves. and clearer. (i checked the brightnes, nightshift, truetone. same desktoppictures, etc )
on mine its not the macscreen your looking at . you are constantly looking at these changes in the screen like pulsations an tremours. wich interfere unpleasand with your brain.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
would there maybe be another group or thread or forum where i should post this topic to have more succeding chance???quiet a newbie on macrumours :s

many thanks for your helping again!
There is no chance this is a virus or something in your computer's firmware. It's not impossible that replacement parts are defective, so I would bring the computer in for repair as soon as it's possible to do so.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
hi,
i did check with same macbookpro of a friend for some time. and on an older macbookpro (3years older) and i realy noticed the difference! it is much more relaxed when looking at them. nothing moves. and clearer. (i checked the brightnes, nightshift, truetone. same desktoppictures, etc )
on mine its not the macscreen your looking at . you are constantly looking at these changes in the screen like pulsations an tremours. wich interfere unpleasand with your brain.

My suggestion is to go to a store, that carries MacBook Pro computers such as BestBuy or Costco, and see if you have the same reaction to those computer screens.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I doubt this is software. I can't see anything specific in the videos either.

One easy way to rule out any software is simply boot to an external device that has been formatted and has had fresh OS installed. Nothing restored or migrated.

If, booted to another fresh OS, the issue is still there, that leaves hardware or possibly firmware.

As others have mentioned, the logic board replacement would have replaced the firmware...and odds of a firmware issue/breach/mod moving between boards is essentially zero.

GPU, display, or related components (like display cable) is the most likely cause of any screen anomaly.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
The two things I have seen that can cause some strange anomalies are:
  1. Strong magnetic fields
  2. fluorescent lighting at a specific frequency that clashes with the monitor refresh rate

Both of these things are specific to the work environment, and are not an issue with the display; they disappear once removed.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
I have zero ways to help as I have no idea what would cause this but just wanted to say that I can see from your videos what you see. It’s like the clouds are moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: HopefullSisyfus

HopefullSisyfus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Europe
Hi,

I doubt this is software. I can't see anything specific in the videos either.

One easy way to rule out any software is simply boot to an external device that has been formatted and has had fresh OS installed. Nothing restored or migrated.

If, booted to another fresh OS, the issue is still there, that leaves hardware or possibly firmware.

I did make a bootable USB with the newest catalina made on that friends same "clean" macbookpro. and made an install from there.
Is that what you mean? or should i install catalina on an external HD and boot from there? i will try that!! I do have to install it from that clean macbookpro.

if replacing the logicboard sets a new system and firmware and normaly comes with emptySSD. That's why i did let it be replaced). Can it be somewhere else then???

Its deffinetly there and don't think it's magnetic or light infleunce. Even outside it's there.

there is a lot moving on the screen! It is just not that obvious when just looking at it for a short moment. and now on a compresed video :(
But fast flickering in places, ghosting, and the whole desktop picture slightly moves when looking closely.

I am planning to go to the applestore directly, this month, to explaine the problem, cause and tried solutions, to see what they still can do. On advise of the senior level advisor, but he could not give a direct solution himself .

I'll give that boot to ext. device a try tomorow

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am planning to go to the applestore directly, this month, to explaine the problem, cause and tried solutions, to see what they still can do. On advise of the senior level advisor, but he could not give a direct solution himself .

When you go to the Apple store look at the MacBookPro computers they have on display to see if the display shows the same issue you are seeing with your computer.

Reactions: HopefullSisyfus

HopefullSisyfus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Europe
There is no chance this is a virus or something in your computer's firmware. It's not impossible that replacement parts are defective, so I would bring the computer in for repair as soon as it's possible to do so.

I have contacted on malwarebytesforum. It is most probably not a virus , it is not detected by any antivirus program.It is , to my known, not after any information whatsoever.( It is just to make the use of my computer a "terror") .

HopefullSisyfus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Europe
Hello All again,

I am maybe looking for more options that i can try now with an OSX on a external drive?
I did install OSX Catalina on an External SSD via the macbookpro of that friend. Booting from there doesn't seem to get rid of the tremmors and ghosting in the screen. Its even still visible when trying to select from which disk it should boot :(

I was thinking of starting recovery mode and erase the complete SSD that is in my mac , with a base system that runs from the external SSD? so i could overwrite my original boot via the external SSD .
Is this possible and what would the correct way be to do that?
I don't know if starting recovery mode from an external hd actualy works? or would it always be linked to to my original system?

If anyone maybe knows how I could try more with this external SSD??

All help is welcome!

kind regards !

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello All again,

I am maybe looking for more options that i can try now with an OSX on a external drive?
I did install OSX Catalina on an External SSD via the macbookpro of that friend. Booting from there doesn't seem to get rid of the tremmors and ghosting in the screen.
There is something wrong with one of the components in your computer. Reinstalling the operating system will not help.

HopefullSisyfus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Europe
There is something wrong with one of the components in your computer. Reinstalling the operating system will not help.

That would be the expaination. But i am only doubting that because I have Two Macs with similar screen problems occuring right after opening those files from that torrent site on both my Macs :s
changing the display , keyboard and logicboard by apple repair didn't solve it .

I am having it checked again at apple geniusbar next week.

but hoped there would be some options left to try myself ?

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
Forget the 'torrent site'. It's got nothing to do with what you're experiencing. Posters who have, frankly, greater technical understanding of how viruses work and propagate than you do have repeatedly told you that your issue is not caused by a virus and will not be solved by further reinstallations of your OS. It's just not how viruses work.

Now you can choose to ignore all the advice you've been given and keep asking the same question, but at this point its an irrational fear / paranoia and this sort of issue cannot be resolved on a technical forum such as this one.

Sorry to be blunt, but you're just going round in circles and don't seem to be taking in any of the good advice you've been given.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If after repeated attempts you cannot correct "the problem", the solution seems obvious to me:
SELL or trade in the MBP you have for a replacement.

This time, try the 2020 13", or possibly the 16" model.
Or... stick with the Windows laptop you can use without problems...

HopefullSisyfus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Europe
Hello mick2 and fishrrman and all,

My excuses that I am giving the impression that I don’t take The advices given here seriously.

I will take it all with me when finally manage to have this appointment with AS , there never is room 😕

I do not know much About viruses or systems Mac or Windows .( I have been using Apple products for more then 17 years ). Never had to look much deeper . But I am trying to read up on it . My apologies for my newbie behavior

I will ring Apple store again on Monday with the information I now have.

I do not want to sell my “strang” Mac to somebody else . I would feel guilty about that.
Trading my Mac for a new one at Apple is worth 325€ but it has cost me 2299€
That would be a big cut in my savings .
but it is my last option.

my honest apologies for the tunnel vision

Thanks for your helping , Kind regards

Last edited:

HopefullSisyfus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Europe
Hi Everyone out there,

I just got my MacbookPro 2019,back from the Apple Genius Bar, after having persisting problems on my display, pulsations and strangely movements around letters, which didn't seem to solve with reinstalling software via recovery mode or resetting things .
I have had it now completely checked for hardware defects. but no hardware defects found.
Apple has erased and installed new software with there powerful servers which has got rid of the pulsations in my screen . with make it back workable, Only, I see and sense something is still going on in my display and in closer inspection there is still these strange movements around and over letters. it runs whilst running internet recovery mode and in safe mode.

I recorded a video (on lower speed) with my older iPhone uncompressed in Wetransfer link.

I know it is almost impossible to still have this as apple did overwrite all software and no hardware defects, I have checked on different other Macs and I did not see this issue there,

does anybody know what can cause this thing and confirm if this is not normal :)

many thanks for your time! kind greets,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.