Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
Hiya! I'm searching for new MBP, but heard alot bad reviews on the new one. The price is huge, that makes me a second thought, shall i change back to window or any advice? Thanks alot

Matt_9141

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
Budget? If you don't have one, I'd recommend the new 2018 15 inch.

The "bad" stuff: The Core i9 thermal throttles (it slows down 'cause it heats up too much). Apple claims they fixed it, but physics has its limits. You can pick the core i7, which is still up to par. They're both 6 core processors.

Speaker Popping issues. The peeps who bought the new pros asap experienced this. I bought my 2018 15 inch recently (5 days ago) and have not experienced issues.

Only Type C ports. Need a couple adapters. Shouldn't be a problem though. Type C is FAST.

No Magsafe 2! It's not THAT big a deal tho.. still kinda miss it.

Good: More, and faster RAM. (The computer will last longer, is up for greater tasks)
New 6 core processors: The new one scored twice as much as my 2014 MBP on Geekbench Multi Core.
Beautiful finish, and overall design.
Lightweight for the power.
Force-touch trackpad, no physical clicks so no buttons to break/wear out.
New butterfly keyboard, quieter, less travel. I guess it's good? Some people hate it. I personally love it. My fingers fly across the keyboard on the new one, as I type this post.
Touch Bar: The angle at which you're seated at really dictates your usability. I need to be seated higher than the computer to be able to use it. It's got some nice stuff though.

AUDIO: HOLY CRAP. AMAZING. Best audio I have ever heard on an Apple Device. Way better than the 2014 retina MBP.

You can charge from any USB C port.

You can run windows through Bootcamp. You dont even need another USB drive like you used to on the older Macs.

Thats about it. Up to you to decide, but for the price, I'd also recommend the new Thinkpad X1 extreme. It can go up to twice the RAM (64GB). Spillproof keyboard, and legendary ThinkPad reliability. Go to their website and take a look.

Cheers,
Matt

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
thanks Matt. This is really helpful.

Beside, i did ask couple of friend. They mentioned the new one is unrepairable, is it true? Because currently i'm still using the old 2011 version mbp. 2 pieces but both with problem and repair several times. 1 is totally down now, can't even track what is the problem. Another current using but the graphic seems like having problem as well.
What kind adapter should i buy so it able to support the gen 1 usb and some sd card?

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
thanks Matt. This is really helpful.

Beside, i did ask couple of friend. They mentioned the new one is unrepairable, is it true? Because currently i'm still using the old 2011 version mbp. 2 pieces but both with problem and repair several times. 1 is totally down now, can't even track what is the problem. Another current using but the graphic seems like having problem as well.
What kind adapter should i buy so it able to support the gen 1 usb and some sd card?

It's not user-repairable, but that's been true of Apple and most of their competitors for years now. Apple's warranty and extended warranty services are still quite good.

There are lots of USB-C hubs and adaptors for things like SD cards and storage, so I wouldn't worry about that. Expect to pay about ~$50-$75 for a good one that has good build quality and has lots of ports.

As for whether it'll be worth it to you, the real question is what kind of software do you use as a designer. If everything you use is also available on Windows, then moving over to that side will give you more choices. You can prioritize raw performance, battery life, display resolution, weight, or what have you, and you'll likely pay less. Apple's forte is fit and finish and they have fewer configurations in a single design that prioritizes thin-and-light over raw power. If you aren't particularly tied to its OS and app system, switching should not be too costly for you.

As for whether you'll be happier over in Windows-land, who knows?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
They mentioned the new one is unrepairable, is it true?
Mostly, yes. If you want an idea, head to ifixit.com and see their "difficulty" ratings, and details, for replacing the keyboard, trackpad, and battery. These are the most likely to require replacement during the product's lifetime. You cannot replace the keyboard, for example, it is replaced as part of the top case assembly. I recommend AppleCare.

Reactions: esg413

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I'd go with Windows at this point since if you're going to be using Adobe Software it's more optimized for Windows than Mac, you'll save a lot of money and have better specs too.

Matt_9141

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
Mostly, yes. If you want an idea, head to ifixit.com and see their "difficulty" ratings, and details, for replacing the keyboard, trackpad, and battery. These are the most likely to require replacement during the product's lifetime. You cannot replace the keyboard, for example, it is replaced as part of the top case assembly. I recommend AppleCare.

Yes, the repairability score from iFixit is a 1/10 (Not User Friendly to repair). Like most apple products. You could also check Windows out. Thinkpad X1 extreme. Buy a reliable brand if you start looking for a PC. (Lenovo, Maybe maybe maybe Dell...) Might be leaving out a couple brands here, but there are some more good brands out there.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Of course, there is more to a computing environment than hardware - OS and apps. I pay more for Apple products because, for me, I get an environment that works for me. I don't like the way that Windows is inserting itself into my environment. For example, just today came the news that W10 will warn you before installing FFox or Chrome, insisting that Edge is a safer choice.

Last edited:

Matt_9141

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
Of course, there is more to a computing environment than hardware - OS and apps. I pay more for Apple product because, for me, I get an environment that works for me.I don't like the way that Windows is inserting itself into my environment. For example, just today came the news that W10 will warn you before installing FFox or Chrome, insisting that Edge is a safer choice.

Yeah, I agree. Windows 10 is quite instructive, and is not as intuitive as Mac OS. When you google download google chrome, the top of the Edge browser tells you that edge is X% faster, so much better, etc..

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
It's not user-repairable, but that's been true of Apple and most of their competitors for years now. Apple's warranty and extended warranty services are still quite good.

There are lots of USB-C hubs and adaptors for things like SD cards and storage, so I wouldn't worry about that. Expect to pay about ~$50-$75 for a good one that has good build quality and has lots of ports.

As for whether it'll be worth it to you, the real question is what kind of software do you use as a designer. If everything you use is also available on Windows, then moving over to that side will give you more choices. You can prioritize raw performance, battery life, display resolution, weight, or what have you, and you'll likely pay less. Apple's forte is fit and finish and they have fewer configurations in a single design that prioritizes thin-and-light over raw power. If you aren't particularly tied to its OS and app system, switching should not be too costly for you.

As for whether you'll be happier over in Windows-land, who knows?

Thanks....i'm currently not a window user....it has been years....thats why if ask me to jump back to window i will struggle so much lol
[doublepost=1536899875][/doublepost]the most important for me is
it able to stand for long hours
good graphic color / almost matching to the real print out
fast and bigger storage

buy mbp 15" with i7 - ok?
buy window - any recommend?

Matt_9141

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
Thanks....i'm currently not a window user....it has been years....thats why if ask me to jump back to window i will struggle so much lol
fast and bigger storage

If you get: 2.6GHz, i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560X - You're good. Computer will last a long time. Just a little pricey. Alternatively, you could get the base model i7.

Windows: Thinkpad X1 Extreme. There's nothing else to consider. Thinkpads are for professional use, and beat the other brands out there. Quality, reliability, everything. Heck, you get better specs than MacBook Pro for a cheaper price. It has the latest 6 core 8th gen intel chips too. It also has a GTX 1050ti, and a 4k screen.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Extreme/p/22TP2TXX1E1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiIvFity63QIVlqDsCh18jw5WEAAYASAAEgJJN_D_BwE&cid=us:sem|se|google|508047068398|ThinkPad+X1+Extreme|IIP_NX_ThinkPad+-+X+Series|205167824&s_kwcid=AL!4030!3!294827486372!e!!g!!thinkpad x1 extreme&ef_id=W5vHigAABQDtvf7c:20180914143658:s

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
fast and bigger storage

The MBP 15" with i7 should work well for you given these needs, and it has very fast storage -- best in the industry.

I can't really speak of Windows PCs. I have a Surface Pro, but that's not going to work for you. As for other machines, no matter how impressive the specs look, there's no way to find out all the little quirks without using them (are the fans too loud? Do they get hot? Trackpad feel? etc.). I've found over the years that these things often matter a lot more to how productive you are than raw specs.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
fast and bigger storage

If you are interested in a Windows machine, definitely have a look at the Lenovo X1 Extreme as others have mentioned. I just had one delivered a couple of days ago after returning MacBook Pro #3 due to various issues/problems. I have only had a couple of days to play with it, but so far I am really liking it.

I will post more about it in the Lenevo X1 Extreme thread in the Alt. Section, but if you would like to know more or have any specific questions, feel free to message me. Don’t want to take up too much air time in a MBP thread with talk about alternatives

Lawney

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
If you get: 2.6GHz, i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560X - You're good. Computer will last a long time. Just a little pricey. Alternatively, you could get the base model i7.

Windows: Thinkpad X1 Extreme. There's nothing else to consider. Thinkpads are for professional use, and beat the other brands out there. Quality, reliability, everything. Heck, you get better specs than MacBook Pro for a cheaper price. It has the latest 6 core 8th gen intel chips too. It also has a GTX 1050ti, and a 4k screen.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Extreme/p/22TP2TXX1E1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiIvFity63QIVlqDsCh18jw5WEAAYASAAEgJJN_D_BwE&cid=us:sem|se|google|508047068398|ThinkPad+X1+Extreme|IIP_NX_ThinkPad+-+X+Series|205167824&s_kwcid=AL!4030!3!294827486372!e!!g!!thinkpad x1 extreme&ef_id=W5vHigAABQDtvf7c:20180914143658:s

HP's ZBook lineup is pretty compelling. Their ZBook Studio in particular.
And of course Dell's Precision.

The X1 Extreme's 1050ti is not a workstation gpu.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
the new macbook pros are by far the greatest computers ever made

there’s nothing even remotely in the ballpark

Reactions: esg413

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
HP's ZBook lineup is pretty compelling.The X1 Extreme's 1050ti is not a workstation gpu.

Of course neither are the MacBook Pro offerings of the Radeon Pro 555x or 560x.

The Lenovo workstation equivalent of the X1 Extreme is the P1, but if a mobile workstation is required, there are better alternatives than all of these.

Reactions: Queen6

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
You are certainly welcome to your opinion.

No, this is not an opinion thing. You are unable to identify a superior product.

People come up with all these complaints about macbook pros, but it's just #whitegirlproblems because there's no other company creating products of adequate power and design quality to service creative professionals.

I'm not exaggerating when I say literally every designer I know has an MBP and loves it. And I own a design company and know (and employ) many designers.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
No, this is not an opinion thing. You are unable to identify a superior product.

You appear to be uninformed as the legal meaning of the word "fact." A fact, in law, is that which is not reasonably susceptible to dispute. Your assertion is not a "fact;" it is, therefore, an opinion. And one that is not well informed.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
You appear to be uninformed as the legal meaning of the word "fact." A fact, in law, is that which is not reasonably susceptible to dispute. Your assertion is not a "fact;" it is, therefore, an opinion. And one that is not well informed.

You still can't name a superior product – further confirmation that I am right and you are completely and totally wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.