Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
It's the Thinkpad logo across at an angle to the right of the trackpad that gets me. And the red pointer nib - useless. The black and red combo is like a kids fantasy of what computer colours should be. I prefer a Razer with all its colours [which at least I can control] to this. But the Razer takes out 2nd best crap logo prize after Thinkpad.
[doublepost=1537440564][/doublepost]

It depends if specs are important to you or other things, like being able to return a computer easily / aesthetics etc.

For me it would be MBP then the HP.

Do you need the pen input? If so HP wins.
Do you need windows or can you work fully on a Mac.

If I had a choice and could work purely within MacOS, I would never look at a PC again TBH. But if you need windows apps, go the HP [and this is purely driven by my logo aversion, so my opinion is very biased]. the Lenovo looks great otherwise :)
lol....it seems like u speak to my heart. I can work fully on Mac. Working on mac for many years that makes me now window freak :D well i guess, i might focus more on mac then. Thanks alot for all the advice. You guys are my savior lol....

Reactions: SDColorado

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I was in the same boat than you recently and have been working on a 2012 Macbook Pro that was easily repairable (I changed the keyboard two times, as well as the trackpad once). The biggest problem for me was only having 8 Gigs of RAM (not upgradable), the fact that I went with just 256GB of hard drive space in the first place and the comparably weak processor today - six years after the machine was released. The machine had every port I could've wished for, so I could do without any dongles (a huge disadvantage of the new Macbooks, imo).

However, working with Adobe software, post-processing large images or creating huge layouts was a real drag. I saw the beachball and the "your hard drive is almost full" warning way too often recently, it just drove me crazy and sometimes even led to crashes and me loosing data.

Since my machine was good for basically half a decade, I went all in and got an almost maxed out 2018 MBP (2TB hard drive, the rest is maxed out). I don't have any comparison to 2016 or 2017 models, of course, but I can tell you that my work efficiency has at least gained 50%. Everything just flies, I don't have to wait more than split seconds for apps to open, can smoothly edit 4k H.265 video without creating any proxy media if I play it back as optimized media in FCP X, can browse large Lightroom libraries without any problems and saving a huge file in Photoshop doesn't want me to put the kettle on and brew a nice cuppa any longer. If there aren't any hardware faults coming my way, I have a feeling that the machine will again last me for many years to come. I plan to get Apple Care towards the end of the first year, just to be on the safe side.

Just my two cents :) There are probably Windows machines out there with the same or better performance at a cheaper price if you're willing to accept having to deal with Windows and usually worse customer service than Apple's.

Reactions: esg413

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
I was in the same boat than you recently and have been working on a 2012 Macbook Pro that was easily repairable (I changed the keyboard two times, as well as the trackpad once). The biggest problem for me was only having 8 Gigs of RAM (not upgradable), the fact that I went with just 256GB of hard drive space in the first place and the comparably weak processor today - six years after the machine was released. The machine had every port I could've wished for, so I could do without any dongles (a huge disadvantage of the new Macbooks, imo).

However, working with Adobe software, post-processing large images or creating huge layouts was a real drag. I saw the beachball and the "your hard drive is almost full" warning way too often recently, it just drove me crazy and sometimes even led to crashes and me loosing data.

Since my machine was good for basically half a decade, I went all in and got an almost maxed out 2018 MBP (2TB hard drive, the rest is maxed out). I don't have any comparison to 2016 or 2017 models, of course, but I can tell you that my work efficiency has at least gained 50%. Everything just flies, I don't have to wait more than split seconds for apps to open, can smoothly edit 4k H.265 video without creating any proxy media if I play it back as optimized media in FCP X, can browse large Lightroom libraries without any problems and saving a huge file in Photoshop doesn't want me to put the kettle on and brew a nice cuppa any longer. If there aren't any hardware faults coming my way, I have a feeling that the machine will again last me for many years to come. I plan to get Apple Care towards the end of the first year, just to be on the safe side.

Just my two cents :) There are probably Windows machines out there with the same or better performance at a cheaper price if you're willing to accept having to deal with Windows and usually worse customer service than Apple's.
What is your current mbp spec?

calabi-yau

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
The X1E configuration I went with was the i7 2.6/ 16GB/ 512SSD. The last two figures are more not so important because RAM and SSD are user-upgradable. Edit: Oh and the 4K UHD HDR display.

I've read some of your impressions, but any other thoughts on your machine so far? I'm considering a laptop buy, and am turned off by the problems the 2018 MBPs are having, and also by the FUD about Apple's rumored switch to ARM processors in 1-2 years. I'm considering an X1 Extreme based purely on your post. Or the P1, but I'm waiting for reviews on that.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I've read some of your impressions, but any other thoughts on your machine so far? I'm considering a laptop buy, and am turned off by the problems the 2018 MBPs are having, and also by the FUD about Apple's rumored switch to ARM processors in 1-2 years. I'm considering an X1 Extreme based purely on your post. Or the P1, but I'm waiting for reviews on that.

I posted a few comments in the X1 Extreme thread in the Alternatives section. I only had the machine about a week before taking off on motorcycle camping trip, from which I just got home, so haven't had any additional time to spend with it until this evening. So far I am really liking it a lot. If there are any questions that I haven't answered in those posts, I will do my best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.