Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
You still can't name a superior product – further confirmation that I am right and you are completely and totally wrong.

to be honest I think you are correct too. I cannot find a better alternative in terms of aesthetic, speed, quality of build, support and price.

I have looked at them all, and can't find one that I would want more, when considering all these factors [yes some are faster or cheaper].

Yes this is opinion rather than fact. But none tick all the boxes as well as the MBP, IMHO.

But as ever we all have a choice and others may prioritise different areas. The MBP are a compromise device, but at the same time I think they really nail it now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the new macbook pros are by far the greatest computers ever made

there’s nothing even remotely in the ballpark
There's plenty of superior products from Dell, Razer, Lenovo, MSI, Asus. The MBP is not by a long shot the greatest computer ever made. The T2 Kernel Panics, Coil Whine, Speaker Crackle, thermal issues, keyboard problems, and inability to upgrade its components are all evidence of that

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
There's plenty of superior products from Dell, Razer, Lenovo, MSI, Asus. The MBP is not by a long shot the greatest computer ever made. The T2 Kernel Panics, Coil Whine, Speaker Crackle, thermal issues, keyboard problems, and inability to upgrade its components are all evidence of that

Name one.
[doublepost=1537283916][/doublepost]
@Naimfan is right, the burden is proof is on you. Even more disturbing is that you think it isn't an opinion that you hold, because you employ some "designers" :rolleyes:.

Name one.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Razer 15", Dell XPS 15 Lenovo X1 Extreme.

Edit: I could go on, but these are nice examples.

No. Neither of those have the colour accuracy and gamut of the Apple computer for design (colour paletting, production proofing, film grading, blabla). Plus the Dell is a crazy looking gaming laptop so you can't really take that into presentations.

Reactions: StumpJumper

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No. Neither of those have the colour accuracy and gamut of the Apple computer for design (colour paletting, production proofing, film grading, blabla). Plus the Dell is a crazy looking gaming laptop so you can't really take that into presentations.
So in your opinion its not something you would choose. You yourself stated that factually speaking the MBP is a better computer.

That's fine, we all have opinions but to say blindly that the MBP is the best bar none is wrong.

Here's some numbers to throw at you.
The XPS has upgradeable ram, storage and battery, a better screen resolution and smaller bezel. Its not a gamers machine, I'm not sure why you think the XPS is a gamers rig. Their Alienware is but the XPS is aimed at business. Like the MBP, it has throttling issues.

The Razer, has upgradeable/replaceable ram, storage and battery. The Razer also has a much better keyboard, a 4k display and a GPU that absolutely smokes the MBP. It also does NOT have the throttling issues the MBP has.

You prefer the MBP and you think that the MBP is the best for you, that's fine, I too like my MBP, but its not the best computer on the market by a long shot. The quality issues, the keyboard and thermal management are problems that the 3,000 dollar premium computer should not have.

Reactions: Naimfan and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4

I use my "gaming" notebook's for presentation's all the time, nobody cares a jot about what hardware you have or what it remotely looks like. If anything I've had more comment positively about them than when I was using the MBP.

Why gaming notebooks? They are built for performance, don't massively throttle like the latest iteration of the MBP, have sensible port solutions, are scalable and I can live with a little extra weight.

Q-6

Reactions: Naimfan

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I like the MBP as well, but I am not sure I understand the benefits of 88% Adobe RGB accuracy and the P3 Gamut of the MBP over 100% Adobe RGB found in some of the examples @maflynn quoted. Outside of the cinema industry, where is the benefit over 100% Adobe RGB? My understanding is that P3 is smaller than Adobe RGB in both the cyan and green areas and therefore covers less of typical CMYK than P3.

Of course, the color space/gamut preference is use based and if it is what you particularly need, perhaps the MBP is the best laptop for that use. Otherwise, there are plenty of alternatives if 100% Adobe RGB accuracy is more important to you.

Fig02-AdobeRGBDisplayP3sRGB.jpg

Last edited:

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

Colour accuracy is not the best on the MacBook at all - far from it. Then you mention about Dell being a crazy looking gaming laptop that you can't take to presentations?

I think you are off your rockers on this one and I can't take you seriously anymore. Anyway, any serious designer must spend very little time on a 15" screen for any billable work, I'd be alarmed if it was used for anything more than minor graphics work or email, documents etc.

Last edited:

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
I like the MBP as well, but I am not sure I understand the benefits of 88% Adobe RGB accuracy and the P3 Gamut of the MBP over 100% Adobe RGB found in some of the examples @maflynn quoted. Outside of the cinema industry, where is the benefit over 100% Adobe RGB? My understanding is that P3 is smaller than Adobe RGB in both the cyan and green areas and therefore covers less of typical CMYK than P3.

Of course, the color space/gamut preference is use based and if it is what you particularly need, perhaps the MBP is the best laptop for that use. Otherwise, there are plenty of alternatives if 100% Adobe RGB accuracy is more important to you.

Fig02-AdobeRGBDisplayP3sRGB.jpg
for mbp, x1 extreme and hp zbook studio 360 which perform better color accuracy, speed and less worry maintenance.
I'm still currently using mbp. One got problem which the tech guy unable to solve - rip in my cabinet. Another one currently still using, the graphic sometimes will be distorted. Asked the tech guy but he say not worth to repair it. So this two reason is my main concern for the new mbp. Will cause me headache on all this problem? But i do really love using mbp. No virus problem i could say.
One of the reason i would consider X1 & zbook is because the touch screen, which able to scribble and draw.
Any advice?

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
for mbp, x1 extreme and hp zbook studio 360 which perform better color accuracy, speed and less worry maintenance.
I'm still currently using mbp. One got problem which the tech guy unable to solve - rip in my cabinet. Another one currently still using, the graphic sometimes will be distorted. Asked the tech guy but he say not worth to repair it. So this two reason is my main concern for the new mbp. Will cause me headache on all this problem? But i do really love using mbp. No virus problem i could say.
One of the reason i would consider X1 & zbook is because the touch screen, which able to scribble and draw.
Any advice?

I am looking at the HP Zbook 360 too - looks like a good device but cant find any reviews anywhere.
But really I think an iPad and MBP are a better combination still. More flexible, better sketch apps, iPad instant and by your side.
It depends on what software you are using, and by what you are saying I assume a graphic designer. I am more product and interiors so don't need the colour accuracy as much but do need a decent dGPU, which means eGPU for me at a desk.

For me though overall the MBP is a reasonable price and I know I will get the support and is quality.
Heavy work still needs a desktop though unfortunately unless I want my office to sound like the airport.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Any advice?

My advice would be to research the one that most appeals to you and try it out for a month. Unlike Apple, most manufacturers give you a 30-day return window. I had too many issues with the 2018 MBP's and after returning unit #3 decided to give an X1 Extreme a try.

I don't have much familiarity with the hp zbook 360, but it appears to have 8th Gen Xenon processor and Quadro 10000 gpu? If so the P1 would likely be the closest equivalent as far as processor and GPU?

I have only had the X1 Extreme about a week now, but am really liking it so far. It is a bit weird after 12 years of owning nothing but Macs, to have purchased my 2nd PC in as many years, but there it is.

If the Macbook Pro / iPad combo work for you and you need a eGPU and the BlackMagic one meets your needs, I don't think you can go wrong sticking with what you know and what works.

Reactions: Queen6 and esg413

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
My advice would be to research the one that most appeals to you and try it out for a month. Unlike Apple, most manufacturers give you a 30-day return window. I had too many issues with the 2018 MBP's and after returning unit #3 decided to give an X1 Extreme a try.

I don't have much familiarity with the hp zbook 360, but it appears to have 8th Gen Xenon processor and Quadro 10000 gpu? If so the P1 would likely be the closest equivalent as far as processor and GPU?

I have only had the X1 Extreme about a week now, but am really liking it so far. It is a bit weird after 12 years of owning nothing but Macs, to have purchased my 2nd PC in as many years, but there it is.

If the Macbook Pro / iPad combo work for you and you need a eGPU and the BlackMagic one meets your needs, I don't think you can go wrong sticking with what you know and what works.

May i know what happen to your 2018 mbp? And it's the 3rd unit of exchange? May i know what specs you use for X1 Extreme.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
May i know what happen to your 2018 mbp? And it's the 3rd unit of exchange? May i know what specs you use for X1 Extreme.

Unit #1 kept having BridgeOS crash errors. After working with me over the phone and having me visit the store on a couple of occasions, Apple could not solve it and wanted to collect it. They arranged and advanced exchange for unit #2.

Unit #2 arrived from the factory with sharp nicks along the edge near the speaker grill. This I am certain happened in manufacturing, not shipping. The outside brown box was pristine, the plastic wrap and inner white box pristine, even the paper that is in between the screen and the top case, covering the nicked area was pristine. I never even turned that one on. Apple arranged an advanced exchange for unit #3.

Unit #3 had some odd and random run away heat issues. Just doing simple stuff, like attaching my phone using an apple lighting cable to sync with iTunes. The fans would ramp up, the temps would climb to between 95-100c and wouldn't stop until I rebooted. I would try again and again to repeat the issue, but it wouldn't until it would happen again with something else. It also had several keys that would not always register input and an 8 key that would occasionally stick. I decided I just wasn't going to roll the dice on another and even though I was granted a return window extension of 30 days, I returned it on the 14th anyway.

The X1E configuration I went with was the i7 2.6/ 16GB/ 512SSD. The last two figures are more not so important because RAM and SSD are user-upgradable. Edit: Oh and the 4K UHD HDR display.

Last edited:
Reactions: esg413

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Unit #1 kept having BridgeOS crash errors. After working with me over the phone and having me visit the store on a couple of occasions, Apple could not solve it and wanted to collect it. They arranged and advanced exchange for unit #2.

Unit #2 arrived from the factory with sharp nicks along the edge near the speaker grill. This I am certain happened in manufacturing, not shipping. The outside brown box was pristine, the plastic wrap and inner white box pristine, even the paper that is in between the screen and the top case, covering the nicked area was pristine. I never even turned that one on. Apple arranged an advanced exchange for unit #3.

Unit #3 had some odd and random run away heat issues. Just doing simple stuff, like attaching my phone using an apple lighting cable to sync with iTunes. The fans would ramp up, the temps would climb to between 95-100c and wouldn't stop until I rebooted. I would try again and again to repeat the issue, but it wouldn't until it would happen again with something else. It also had several keys that would not always register input and an 8 key that would occasionally stick. I decided I just wasn't going to roll the dice on another and even though I was granted a return window extension of 30 days, I returned it on the 14th anyway.

The X1E configuration I went with was the i7 2.6/ 16GB/ 512SSD. The last two figures are more not so important because RAM and SSD are user-upgradable. Edit: Oh and the 4K UHD HDR display.

that sounds like fun times. At least they supported you well.

I have just looked at HP and they have a 14 day return window here, so may test a zbook out. The Lenovo machines dont appeal to me [I know this sounds stupid but I simply cannot handle that "Thinkpad' logo .... its terrible]

Reactions: SDColorado

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia

I have just looked at HP and they have a 14 day return window here, so may test a zbook out. The Lenovo machines dont appeal to me [I know this sounds stupid but I simply cannot handle that "Thinkpad' logo .... its terrible]
lol...ya, i don't like the thinkpad logo as well. Sorry graphic designer are picky :p

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
lol...ya, i don't like the thinkpad logo as well. Sorry graphic designer are picky :p

Yeah, it is kind of "old school" retro, much like the red track pointer thing. They call it heritage, I say it's boring. But with the amount of time I spend looking at the back of the laptop, I forget what's on the back of them anyway.

That said Apple and Microsoft may have a couple of the better logos. HP doesn't do it for me. Asus, Acer Dell, meh. I am not sure what exactly Razer is going for. MSI's isn't bad.

Yes. Absolutely zero complaints with the sales support. I wish it would have worked out with the MBP, but I can't fault Apple Sales. The women I worked with (Katerina) was awesome!

Tech seemed mostly disinterested? Maybe my impression is wrong, but I got the impression they know of the issues and they just pass you on to sales for an exchange.

Last edited:
Reactions: esg413 and Queen6

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
Here's the price i got quoted
1) Macbook pro 15" USD2500+-
Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.2GHz 6-Core Processor
256 GB Storage
2.2GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
Radeon Pro 555X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
256GB SSD storage1
Retina display with True Tone
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

2) Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme USD2000+-
Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.10 GHz)
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
First Hard Drive: 512GB Solid State Drive NVMe M.2 2280, Opal

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.2GHz 6-Core Processor
256 GB Storage
Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
256GB SSD storage1
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

I am assuming that is with the 16GB on the Lenovo?

esg413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Asia
Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.2GHz 6-Core Processor
256 GB Storage
Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
256GB SSD storage1
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

3) HP zbook studio x 360 USD 2000+-
*specs as below

If i go for mbp, is it i need to apply apple care? Will it cover for repair or exchange new unit as long as i'm using apple care?
[doublepost=1537439439][/doublepost]
I am assuming that is with the 16GB on the Lenovo?
yeap

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-09-20 at 09.52.02.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-09-20 at 09.52.02.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 124

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Yeah, it is kind of "old school" retro, much like the red track pointer thing. They call it heritage, I say it's boring. But with the amount of time I spend looking at the back of the laptop, I forget what's on the back of them anyway.

That said Apple and Microsoft may have a couple of the better logos. HP doesn't do it for me. Asus, Acer Dell, meh. I am not sure what exactly Razer is going for. MSI's isn't bad.

Yes. Absolutely zero complaints with the sales support. I wish it would have worked out with the MBP, but I can't fault Apple Sales. The women I worked with (Katerina) was awesome!

Tech seemed mostly disinterested? Maybe my impression is wrong, but I got the impression they know of the issues and they just pass you on to sales for an exchange.

It's the Thinkpad logo across at an angle to the right of the trackpad that gets me. And the red pointer nib - useless. The black and red combo is like a kids fantasy of what computer colours should be. I prefer a Razer with all its colours [which at least I can control] to this. But the Razer takes out 2nd best crap logo prize after Thinkpad.
[doublepost=1537440564][/doublepost]
Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.2GHz 6-Core Processor
256 GB Storage
Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
256GB SSD storage1
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

3) HP zbook studio x 360 USD 2000+-
*specs as below

If i go for mbp, is it i need to apply apple care? Will it cover for repair or exchange new unit as long as i'm using apple care?
[doublepost=1537439439][/doublepost]
yeap

It depends if specs are important to you or other things, like being able to return a computer easily / aesthetics etc.

For me it would be MBP then the HP.

Do you need the pen input? If so HP wins.
Do you need windows or can you work fully on a Mac.

If I had a choice and could work purely within MacOS, I would never look at a PC again TBH. But if you need windows apps, go the HP [and this is purely driven by my logo aversion, so my opinion is very biased]. the Lenovo looks great otherwise :)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It's the Thinkpad logo across at an angle to the right of the trackpad that gets me. And the red pointer nib - useless.

It's funny, but I actually find the red pointer useful. I certainly find myself using it more than I did the touch bar on the MBP. I guess it depends on what you are using the laptop for. However, I am not a designer.

As for the logo, I almost forget it is there. It may be the most subtle logo of any of the brands, being black chrome on black. Black and red scheme aside (and there really isn't that much red other than the pointer) I do like the aesthetic better than the Dell XPS 15, which I think is kind of a hot mess of mixed materials between the brushed aluminum, carbon fiber, and matte black plastic. I am not sure exactly what Dell was going for there.

Do you need the pen input? If so HP wins.

Doesn't HP still use that N-Trig pen with only 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity while others like Dell, Microsoft, Lenovo etc. have 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity and 1,024 levels of tilt sensitivity? My only penning experience has been with the iPad Pro's and the Surface Pro, they are both very good.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
It's funny, but I actually find the red pointer useful. I certainly find myself using it more than I did the touch bar on the MBP. I guess it depends on what you are using the laptop for. However, I am not a designer.

As for the logo, I almost forget it is there. It may be the most subtle logo of any of the brands, being black chrome on black. Black and red scheme aside (and there really isn't that much red other than the pointer) I do like the aesthetic better than the Dell XPS 15, which I think is kind of a hot mess of mixed materials between the brushed aluminum, carbon fiber, and matte black plastic. I am not sure exactly what Dell was going for there.

Doesn't HP still use that N-Trig pen with only 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity while others like Dell, Microsoft, Lenovo etc. have 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity and 1,024 levels of tilt sensitivity? My only penning experience has been with the iPad Pro's and the Surface Pro, they are both very good.

I agree the Dell is a bit of a dodgy design and never understand why people make it a comparison except on pure specs. A hot mess is a good description.

I think the HP are using Wacom and have the 4096 pressure points. I agree though the iPad Pro is great for sketching. There are certain pro apps though that don’t run on the iPad......

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I agree the Dell is a bit of a dodgy design and never understand why people make it a comparison except on pure specs. A hot mess is a good description.

I think the HP are using Wacom and have the 4096 pressure points. I agree though the iPad Pro is great for sketching. There are certain pro apps though that don’t run on the iPad......

Sounds like they have improved it then if that’s the case. Not that there is anything wrong with N-trig pen, with some propriety modifications. I forget what Microsoft calls it. MMP or something like that, but the 21ms latency I believe is second only to the iPad and the interchangeable nibs are kind of cool. But the leaks I have seen for a possible new Surface Studio seem to use a pen that looks more like a Wacom. So maybe that pen is updated at the October event?

I believe Lenovo also uses a Wacom variant. I don’t know what Dell uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.