Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Spoke to a Apple senior tech today who escalated it to engineers. He came back to me from the engineers and said they are aware of the issue and are working on it and will be around 2 - 3 weeks for an MacOs update to fix the issue.

He also advised and said the engineers concurred that the best step is to take the device back to the store for a replacemnet as they are seeing reports that not all Mac book Proā€™s are affected. He explained to me that the issue is more common with custom configured MBPā€˜s and suggested that there may be no issue at all on a new replacement device.

This has confused me ? as on the one hand they are saying that it is a software issue and can be fixed although not all devices are affected then at the same time the issue may not be present on a replacement machine.

How can both be true? How can it only be a software issue that is totally fixable yet the issue may not be present on a replacement machine?

After a year long issue with an intel 16ā€ mbp that thankfully resulted in a refund I am really starting to feel that Apple are only interested in keeping good appearances and full of ?.

I have had Adobe lightroom freeze up daily and pixelmator / safari and many other apps stop responding and either recover after several minutes or crash - these are the issues that are messing with my daily workload. MacOs processes running wild and poor battery life as a result are annoying but nowhere nearly as much as a faulty buggy machine that keeps crapping out on me.

No doubt its an amazing machine but the ? factor / experience is seriously compromised if the software doesn't it up. Its a bit like having a stunning car parked up in a garage on rolling wheels all day and your in the driving seat breathing in the fumes.
Glad they did not ask you to buy an upcoming Mac with 1TB RAM.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I have Lightroom CC on a both an Intel MacBook Pro and an M1 Mac mini.

The mini gets terrible memory leaks - mostly from Adobe applications (which end up using as much twice the RAM as my MBP), but also Apple's own apps in some instances.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have Lightroom CC on a both an Intel MacBook Pro and an M1 Mac mini.

The mini gets terrible memory leaks - mostly from Adobe applications (which end up using as much twice the RAM as my MBP), but also Apple's own apps in some instances.
Try turning off GPU acceleration in Lightroom on the M1, and see what happens.
(I already know the answer, but it is more compelling when you see for yourself).
This helps understand better why Lightroom uses more RAM on M1.

fastson

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Try turning off GPU acceleration in Lightroom on the M1, and see what happens.
(I already know the answer, but it is more compelling when you see for yourself).
This helps understand better why Lightroom uses more RAM on M1.
Thanks for this!

I only let the GPU help with the display rendering (custom setting) and this stopped happening.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 22.45.54.jpg

I love my new Mac. But Adobes software is a huge disappointment. Adobe Media Encoder also killed my RAM during a batch processing (the computer actually ran out of memory).

Reactions: wilberforce

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Thanks for this!

I only let the GPU help with the display rendering (custom setting) and this stopped happening.

View attachment 1922208

I love my new Mac. But Adobes software is a huge disappointment. Adobe Media Encoder also killed my RAM during a batch processing (the computer actually ran out of memory).
Yes. I don't actually recommend turning off GPU acceleration only to prevent yellow memory pressure and swap - I prefer to leave the GPU enabled, and let the computer deal with the swap, which it seems to do well.
But it does help understand why Lightroom is using so much RAM on Apple Silicon.

Pretty impressive you still got that much memory pressure even with 32GB RAM

fastson

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Yes. I don't actually recommend turning off GPU acceleration only to prevent yellow memory pressure and swap - I prefer to leave the GPU enabled, and let the computer deal with the swap, which it seems to do well.
But it does help understand why Lightroom is using so much RAM on Apple Silicon.

Yes and that was editing ONE photograph taken with a Sony A7M3 using the repair tool to remove small dust particulates in a photo. o_O

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
OP, would you kindly style the title such that it DOES NOT HURT ? THE ?ļø?ļø EYES?

Also, what exactly do you mean when you say, "Anyone know how to figure out what caused it so I can try and get the issue reported / fixed?"

Would you kindly share your credentials and reach at Apple if that is not a security/ privacy risk to you or Apple? I used to think people who were aware enough to know what is a memory leak are generally aware enough to make sure they use the Feedback Assistant (erstwhile Bug Reporter) on their own without help from others.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I used to think people who were aware enough to know what is a memory leak are generally aware enough to make sure they use the Feedback Assistant (erstwhile Bug Reporter) on their own without help from others.

Well to be fair, the OP didn't know what a memory leak was when initially posting. Several messages in response to suggestions that there was a memory leak, they asked what a memory leak was... but I get your feels on this. Something about it grinds me gears a little too.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Well to be fair, the OP didn't know what a memory leak was when initially posting. Several messages in response to suggestions that there was a memory leak, they asked what a memory leak was... but I get your feels on this. Something about it grinds me gears a little too.

If a simple internet user starts getting messages about memory, likely the only thing they would think is, "dang should have bought more memory". They would not imagine what technologically-aware users know as a memory leak.

Reactions: smirking

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Spoke to a Apple senior tech today who escalated it to engineers. He came back to me from the engineers and said they are aware of the issue and are working on it and will be around 2 - 3 weeks for an MacOs update to fix the issue.

He also advised and said the engineers concurred that the best step is to take the device back to the store for a replacemnet as they are seeing reports that not all Mac book Proā€™s are affected. He explained to me that the issue is more common with custom configured MBPā€˜s and suggested that there may be no issue at all on a new replacement device.

This has confused me ? as on the one hand they are saying that it is a software issue and can be fixed although not all devices are affected then at the same time the issue may not be present on a replacement machine.

How can both be true? How can it only be a software issue that is totally fixable yet the issue may not be present on a replacement machine?
Both cannot be true. If they really know what the problem is and it is a software problem they would not recommend replacing the machine.

Also memory leaks are not confined to MacOS. Application software almost always has some memory leaks.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018

Well that 32GB is shared between the GPU and the CPU. My Intel Mac has 16GB of RAM just for the GPU (64GB for the main system RAM).

Outer_net

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2021
Well Apple silently fixed it as they do !

No leaks or random processes robbing the memory anymore

Adobe urgently need to finish optimising LRC for Apple silicon - Dual screens has issues after waking from a nap and in the develop module there's intense flickering when hovering around all the adjustment controls indicating that Lightroom Classic is not optimised for Apple silicon. Diabling GPU acceleration removes this issue completely in LRC.

As for the m1 Max I can say in general I have no complaints at all anymore now. The only time I can even get the fans to make any noise at all is to play around in UE5 that is in beta and in now way optimised for Apple silicon yet.

I find one thing interesting that there's still a few system processes still running on intel - CarbonComponentScannerXPC and another that pops up every now and then. Not sure if it is to do with the only app I have running using Rosetta 2 Loupedeck?

Last edited:

newton4000

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Well Apple silently fixed it as they do !

No leaks or random processes robbing the memory anymore

Adobe urgently need to finish optimising LRC for Apple silicon - Dual screens has issues after waking from a nap and in the develop module there's intense flickering when hovering around all the adjustment controls indicating that Lightroom Classic is not optimised for Apple silicon. Diabling GPU acceleration removes this issue completely in LRC.

As for the m1 Max I can say in general I have no complaints at all anymore now. The only time I can even get the fans to make any noise at all is to play around in UE5 that is in beta and in now way optimised for Apple silicon yet.

I find one thing interesting that there's still a few system processes still running on intel - CarbonComponentScannerXPC and another that pops up every now and then. Not sure if it is to do with the only app I have running using Rosetta 2 Loupedeck?
This is still happening to me. Any solutions? Other than turning off acceleration?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.