Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
You have 8 fans in that case, you really shouldn't be seeing 93c on your GPU. What's your CPU temps?

What case are you using?
If I were them I would probably put the AIO radiator on the side and have it draw cooler air into the main compartment. Then have the case fans on the top and back exhaust air. Not sure about the fan on the bottom, I guess have it suck cool air in.

Unless they are running their GPU at 600W OC, there is no reason why they should be seeing 93C (and even at 600W it should just be in the 80's). And I'm talking hotspot temps not GPU Core temps.

Reactions: Cape Dave

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I were them I would probably put the AIO radiator on the side and have it draw cooler air into the main compartment.
What's confusing is in post #82, the very first picture shows the fans on the side and the single bottom one set to pull air in and the rest are set to exhaust. It looks like the other pictures have different fans or a different orientation because they all appear to be set to exhaust now.

I agree have the rad on the side, the bottom fan pull in air, because of the GPU needs cool air, and the rad will be exhausting hot air right near the GPU, and have the top set to exhaust.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
What's confusing is in post #82, the very first picture shows the fans on the side and the single bottom one set to pull air in and the rest are set to exhaust. It looks like the other pictures have different fans or a different orientation because they all appear to be set to exhaust now.

I agree have the rad on the side, the bottom fan pull in air, because of the GPU needs cool air, and the rad will be exhausting hot air right near the GPU, and have the top set to exhaust.
I always struggled with fan direction for way too long when setting up a new PC back in the day. Gotta get it even. :D

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo

Negative.

Those are Phanteks reversible fans.

And it was supposed to be 200fps, not 200F degrees in the original post.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
And here is how it is set up as a whole. I have an air purifier blowing air directly upwards under the PC for low dust. Also set my ac to 68. No heating problems whatsoever.

IMG_4240.jpeg

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Looking for honest feedback on moving from Apple M2 MBA to either a Samsung Galaxy Book 4 Pro 360 or an HP Spectre x360 14" both 2024 models.

or

Both would be great but I don't like heavy laptops so the GalaxyBook at 3.6# and 16" feels really light while the 14" HP is 3.1# so a half a pound difference and a big difference in screen size. The 16" Spectre is heavier and has Nvidia graphics which I just don't need. So it is between these two in terms of cost and specs as well as design and materials. I also have a lot of Samsung gear but I am not sure any of the software Samsung includes is really more useful than a regular PC? Anyone with experience owning a GalaxyBook and s series phone and can give any feedback about their experience would be appreciated. I only have a few days before I have to return one of the devices.

I am older so the larger screen is nice on my eyes. My only concern with the GB4 is the ram. I really would have liked more than 16gb but I am not convinced it is needed. The Samsung is lighter and looks better and has more ports. The Hp has a haptic track pad, double the ram and storage. The HP is well built but boring and the dark finish gets fingerprints while the GB4 resists them pretty well. If someone saw my GB4 or the Spectre I don't think either would get any wows but the GB4 is more of an iconic design that years from now I would still look at and be happy while the Hp is well built and looks nice but is kind of odd looking. The keyboard on the GB4 is better with less backlight bleed. The GB4 screen had adaptive color tone like True tone which matches my s24. The HP has odd color profiles that don't really change anything. Both have a lot of software and settings yet Samsung seems a bit more polished and organized while there are some clunky HP software.

Specs, cost and long term quality and after sales support is also important and HP nor Samsung have either let me down yet.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Looking for honest feedback on moving from Apple M2 MBA to either a Samsung Galaxy Book 4 Pro 360 or an HP Spectre x360 14" both 2024 models.

or

Both would be great but I don't like heavy laptops so the GalaxyBook at 3.6# and 16" feels really light while the 14" HP is 3.1# so a half a pound difference and a big difference in screen size. The 16" Spectre is heavier and has Nvidia graphics which I just don't need. So it is between these two in terms of cost and specs as well as design and materials. I also have a lot of Samsung gear but I am not sure any of the software Samsung includes is really more useful than a regular PC? Anyone with experience owning a GalaxyBook and s series phone and can give any feedback about their experience would be appreciated. I only have a few days before I have to return one of the devices.

I am older so the larger screen is nice on my eyes. My only concern with the GB4 is the ram. I really would have liked more than 16gb but I am not convinced it is needed. The Samsung is lighter and looks better and has more ports. The Hp has a haptic track pad, double the ram and storage. The HP is well built but boring and the dark finish gets fingerprints while the GB4 resists them pretty well. If someone saw my GB4 or the Spectre I don't think either would get any wows but the GB4 is more of an iconic design that years from now I would still look at and be happy while the Hp is well built and looks nice but is kind of odd looking. The keyboard on the GB4 is better with less backlight bleed. The GB4 screen had adaptive color tone like True tone which matches my s24. The HP has odd color profiles that don't really change anything. Both have a lot of software and settings yet Samsung seems a bit more polished and organized while there are some clunky HP software.

Specs, cost and long term quality and after sales support is also important and HP nor Samsung have either let me down yet.
I will say this. I have a monster 16" Acer Predator Helios Neo 16". The screen is SO NICE. In fact, I would rather remote into work using Azure Remote Desktop than use my tiny 14" 1080p work computer. I don't think that 16GB of RAM will matter much to be honest, but that extra 2 inches of screen could really matter.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I will say this. I have a monster 16" Acer Predator Helios Neo 16". The screen is SO NICE. In fact, I would rather remote into work using Azure Remote Desktop than use my tiny 14" 1080p work computer. I don't think that 16GB of RAM will matter much to be honest, but that extra 2 inches of screen could really matter.
Appreciate the feedback! Just what I am looking for. It just sucks getting such a good deal on the Hp but there are a few points despite the high specs that I am thinking hard.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
If you want light, and don't have a seriously heavy workload, you may want to consider LG. In the next week or two, new ones will be released including the 16" OLED with the "Ultra 7" processor. These are really light and priced well in 32GB configurations. I have a three year old 17" that is serving me well.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
If you want light, and don't have a seriously heavy workload, you may want to consider LG. In the next week or two, new ones will be released including the 16" OLED with the "Ultra 7" processor. These are really light and priced well in 32GB configurations. I have a three year old 17" that is serving me well.

What's that model going to be called?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
LG Gram Pro 16, model # example 16Z90SP-A.ADB9U1.

Nice looking laptop but it is $200 more for 8gb ram and non touch screen. If I don't want Nvidia it is still $200 more with the same 16gb ram and non touch screen.

I mean $200 retail price as it would be $400 if you consider trade in on Samsung. Any laptop will get you $200 off. Plus Samsung throws in a 2tb portable ssd free on pre order.

So I think Samsung is still a better choice for me although I like the LG a lot.

Thanks for sharing the link!

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I’d just like to add to this conversation. I recently bought myself a Asus Zenbook 14 Flip OLED. It has been a wonderful laptop thus far. I was an iPad Pro guy since 2019, but this purchase changed my whole perspective on a Windows based device. Several years ago I tried a couple of laptops and the screen quality was null compared to the iPads, but this Zenbook with OLED is mesmerizing. Its screen is better than the Samsung S8+ tablet that I tried a few months ago. That is my own opinion, however.

I may never buy another iPad. Being able to install fonts so easily instead of jumping through hoops is great. Not only that, but I can run a full suite of Affinity Photo on my Zenbook. I do photo editing as a hobby, but it’s something I’ve always enjoyed doing. Affinity Photo costs around $20 on the iPad Pro, but on Windows or Mac it’s $70. Hmm… I wonder why. One other thing is when you save files, photo or not, you don’t lose track of it in the iPads lackluster file system that’s just a huge mess.

Anyways, from the stunning screen, to the flawless and elegant design, this is one to check out. I don’t much use the Flip feature since I have a cat and don’t want a bunch of hairs in my keyboard. 😉

It’s the best laptop I’ve ever owned, and I chose it over buying the M3 iPad Pro. It’s that good.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I’d just like to add to this conversation. I recently bought myself a Asus Zenbook 14 Flip OLED. It has been a wonderful laptop thus far. I was an iPad Pro guy since 2019, but this purchase changed my whole perspective on a Windows based device. Several years ago I tried a couple of laptops and the screen quality was null compared to the iPads, but this Zenbook with OLED is mesmerizing. Its screen is better than the Samsung S8+ tablet that I tried a few months ago. That is my own opinion, however.

I may never buy another iPad. Being able to install fonts so easily instead of jumping through hoops is great. Not only that, but I can run a full suite of Affinity Photo on my Zenbook. I do photo editing as a hobby, but it’s something I’ve always enjoyed doing. Affinity Photo costs around $20 on the iPad Pro, but on Windows or Mac it’s $70. Hmm… I wonder why. One other thing is when you save files, photo or not, you don’t lose track of it in the iPads lackluster file system that’s just a huge mess.

Anyways, from the stunning screen, to the flawless and elegant design, this is one to check out. I don’t much use the Flip feature since I have a cat and don’t want a bunch of hairs in my keyboard. 😉

It’s the best laptop I’ve ever owned, and I chose it over buying the M3 iPad Pro. It’s that good.
You should really check out a Samsung Galaxy tab s9 11" with Amoled 120hz display. Has 8 gen 2 and depending on model 256gb ufs 4.0 and 12gb ddr5x ram. It is a fantastic tablet and it will sync with your PC and Android phone. If you had a Samsung GalaxyBook laptop you could use the tablet as a second screen.

Windows and Android are a great combination as the customization in Windows is there on Android too.

Obviously stuff is expensive and you can only get so much but since you liked iPad so much I thought I would mention the tab s9 and it comes with a really good digital stylus called the s pen included when you buy it.

Asus is one of my favorite manufacturers. They offer a ton of value and their devices are built tough. I like Samsung, HP and Asus as my favorite OEM's for Windows and other stuff too.

Did you get the Asus with Intel Ultra 7? It is a lot better in terms of efficiency. They have a Zenbook 14 OLED with Ultra 7 and 2tb ssd and 32gb ram for $1299. Milspec too and all aluminum with amazing OLED. The previos gen is great too but battery and graphics aren't as good as newer gen.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I got the Intel Core i5, 16GB ram, and 512GB ssd. It’s not the top spec, but it does everything pretty smoothly for me. I was thinking before I got this to check out the Samsung Tab S9. It looks great. Also, I have an iPhone, so that kinda messes things up.

When I get it paid off, I am seriously considering going with an Android phone. I feel like with Apple they are adding things like OLED And stuff years after the competition has already been there and done that.

I was knee deep in the Apple ecosystem, but I’m pretty much over that. My Asus Zenbook came with a Zenbook sleeve and a Stylus which I haven’t opened yet. Pretty nice extras.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
They have a Zenbook 14 OLED with Ultra 7 and 2tb ssd and 32gb ram for $1299.

My jaw is on the floor still reading this...

On a 14" MacBookPro, depending upon which spec you start from, it adds $600-800 JUST to go to 2TB and 24GB RAM (no 32 option at all)

And people wonder why some of us are kvetching about the "value" on Macs these days

Kerry91

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
My jaw is on the floor still reading this...

On a 14" MacBookPro, depending upon which spec you start from, it adds $600-800 JUST to go to 2TB and 24GB RAM (no 32 option at all)

And people wonder why some of us are kvetching about the "value" on Macs these days

Yes Apple margin level is absolutely outrageous but keep in mind that Zenbook 14 is a consumer laptop with way lower lifespan standards and definitely can't be compared with a MacBook Pro.

In the Windows world you would need to compare it with professional laptops such as X1 Carbon, Elitebooks, Zbooks, etc. Those are designed to be used countless working hours per week for at least 5 - 7 years, just like the MacBook Pro. And you will see that their prices will be way above 2K$ for 2TB SSD / 32GB Ram. Design engineering is key to explain laptop prices, not just the internal components.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending Apple stupid prices, I'm just explaining the consumer / pro laptops pricing difference. I ditched my MacBook few years ago for a Thinkpad then for an Elitebook and never looked back. Only iOS keeps me connected to Apple ecosystem.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.