Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Yeah got the update notification on my 2006 MacBook Pro and it wouldn't work...had a bad feeling about it thought exactly this

Reactions: eyoungren

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I think Chrome isn't far off from doing the same. Snow Leopard has been VERY well supported as far as OS X versions go. For many developers, 10.6.8 is still the baseline for support. Even so, I knew the end was coming and upgraded both of my Minis to C2Ds and installed Mountain Lion on them. My 06 MBP is my last Snow Leopard machine, and dang is it fast!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
With Mozilla's focus on security, it is normal that they abandon an OS version that is not supported anymore.

If you can't run a newer version, it is time to boot open source.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I think Chrome isn't far off from doing the same. Snow Leopard has been VERY well supported as far as OS X versions go. For many developers, 10.6.8 is still the baseline for support. Even so, I knew the end was coming and upgraded both of my Minis to C2Ds and installed Mountain Lion on them. My 06 MBP is my last Snow Leopard machine, and dang is it fast!
I think Chrome is already dropped for me.

My 2006 MBP is 32-bit only, hence only Snow Leopard and only the last version of Chrome to run on 32-bit.
[doublepost=1458431909][/doublepost]
With Mozilla's focus on security, it is normal that they abandon an OS version that is not supported anymore.
Which is how TenFourFox came to exist. :D

Reactions: Ih8reno

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
It's not just Snow. They're killing all support from 10.6 to 10.8. What truly surprises me is their stats on 10.6 usage. Do people just never upgrade or is there really that large of a deluge of 206-2007 Macs?

I'm not sure if this is a Mozilla issue or an Apple/XCode issue, either. There's probably more than enough blame to go around on that front, though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
It's not just Snow. They're killing all support from 10.6 to 10.8. What truly surprises me is their stats on 10.6 usage. Do people just never upgrade or is there really that large of a deluge of 206-2007 Macs?

I'm not sure if this is a Mozilla issue or an Apple/XCode issue, either. There's probably more than enough blame to go around on that front, though.
I know a graphic designer in Belgium. He swears by Snow Leopard and has refused to upgrade for years.

I think SL is probably the pinnacle of where Leopard was headed and it's the only version of OS X that can straddle both worlds (PowerPC and Intel).

SL is one of the reasons I've not strived to get Lion on my MBP.

stewart1981

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2014
I know a graphic designer in Belgium. He swears by Snow Leopard and has refused to upgrade for years.

I think SL is probably the pinnacle of where Leopard was headed and it's the only version of OS X that can straddle both worlds (PowerPC and Intel).

I agree with that entirely. SL is fast and stable. Every machine I've ever used it on was great. My wife had a 2008 macbook that we upgraded to Lion and it was lousy. When I put the ssd in SL was restored and it is as fast as a macbook air at booting. I've stopped using safari on it ages ago and think qupzilla will replace Firefox.

The G5 suddenly becomes uo to date again

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

To me, Snow Leopard is the Windows 7 of OS X. Unfortunately it hasn't had the lifespan of Windows 7 in terms of support.

Unfortunately also, most of the first generation Macs with CoreDuo processors are "stuck" at Snow Leopard. There are no hacks or other ways around it-Lion does not support 32 bit processors in any way, shape, or form.

Anything with a Core2Duo can be made to run a newer version of OS X, but a lot of them are limited by the GPU. I'm running Mountain Lion on both my Blackbook and my iMac, but the GMA 950 holds them back.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013

It may be because of things like Rosetta (which was abruptly killed in 10.7) that leads a lot to stay on SL. It's just now they will be stuck at Firefox 45 unless they run TenFourFox via Rosetta to keep up with feature parity.

However, this has zero effect on anyone running 10.7 or 10.8 because they can't run TFF (again, no Rosetta). So it makes me wonder how many will downgrade just for TFF.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
It may be because of things like Rosetta (which was abruptly killed in 10.7) that leads a lot to stay on SL. It's just now they will be stuck at Firefox 45 unless they run TenFourFox via Rosetta to keep up with feature parity.

However, this has zero effect on anyone running 10.7 or 10.8 because they can't run TFF (again, no Rosetta). So it makes me wonder how many will downgrade just for TFF.
I don't see anybody downgrading from Mountain Lion or Lion just for TFF. Both of these OS's have some great features like Gate Keeper, Messages and iCloud support.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
My main portable now is a 2007 Macbook.... I have a feeling my Powerbook will be revived so I can have a secure version of Firefox on the road... To be fair I am learning programming and porting a newer version of Firefox to 10.6 is something that would be a great project :)

Reactions: comda and eyoungren

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I don't see anybody downgrading from Mountain Lion or Lion just for TFF. Both of these OS's have some great features like Gate Keeper, Messages and iCloud support.
Lion doesnt have imessage, and i found it very laggy on the 2007 white Macbook 3,1 even with 4gb of ram and a SSD. the GUI animations and everything where slow and the system ran 10 degrees hotter than it did in SL. granted ive managed to get ML running on it thanks to Macpostfacto and its running great.

Granted only Machines with a Core 2 Duo can run Lion and above but the MacPostFacto was a great by pass for using Lion. I used it for about a semester (4 months) and went back to SL but shortly after managed to go to ML.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Chrome is cutting XP and even Vista support soon. Seems all operating systems predating 2009 are just being cut off now. Well, excluding Windows 7

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014

If you can't run a newer version, it is time to boot open source.

I assume for Intel Macs booting up a flavor of Linux isn't too much of a chore? Would be interesting to do as a side project, I haven't dealt with Linux since school and would be fun to catch up.

Chrome is cutting XP and even Vista support soon. Seems all operating systems predating 2009 are just being cut off now. Well, excluding Windows 7

Windows 7 will probably be XP part 2 with legacy pain. I mean when Microsoft was finally cutting XP support it took all the pain in the world for stragglers to update, and when they did it was to Win7.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Windows 7 will probably be XP part 2 with legacy pain. I mean when Microsoft was finally cutting XP support it took all the pain in the world for stragglers to update, and when they did it was to Win7.
Windows XP is still part of my everyday life. My MacBook duel boots it for legacy apps (Mostly my printer / scanner) and a lot of computers in my school still run XP. Honestly I see another two to three years being squeezed out of it.
[doublepost=1458584217][/doublepost]
Windows XP is still part of my everyday life. My MacBook duel boots it for legacy apps (Mostly my printer / scanner) and a lot of computers in my school still run XP. Honestly I see another two to three years being squeezed out of it.

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I'll be one of the folks that will hang on to 7 as long as possible.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014

Well I just got a license of 7 to install on my Mac Pro since it doesn't support W10 and it was much cheaper than 8, so I'll be hanging onto it for a while just to use those random bits of software and occasional game for plenty of time too. But I'm not trying to do my work on it either :)

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Well I just got a license of 7 to install on my Mac Pro since it doesn't support W10 and it was much cheaper than 8, so I'll be hanging onto it for a while just to use those random bits of software and occasional game for plenty of time too. But I'm not trying to do my work on it either :)

My mac pro 4,1 runs windows 10 just fine.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
Same here, still running 7 on my machines and liking it as much as I did back in 2009, newer versions just don't seem to offer any improvements for me but do introduce lots of things that I don't like or don't need. To be honest I find the same true of OS X now and 10.6 is still my favourite version for Intel, so it is a shame to see this news from Mozilla - either I'm getting old or 2009 was a peak year for operating systems!

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Although I know this is kind of unrelated, I dont mind upgrading to newer versions of OS X because not all the changes are intrusive like they are on Windows *cough* WIndows 8 *cough*. I just don't want to upgrade because I will have to upgrade the rest of my apps which will be a pain in the rear

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.