Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAuremo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
Sounds like you might not have built OCLP correctly (or at all), so look at this page.
  1. Boot a natively supported macOS version, such as High Sierra
  2. Download and build OpenCore Legacy Patcher onto a thumb drive
  3. On the same thumb drive, create the macOS installer.
  4. Reboot while holding Option, and select the EFI partition off of the thumb drive (this is the one that has OpenCore).
    1. SUPER IMPORTANT - hold down Control while selecting the EFI partition; you should see a circle with an arrow.
  5. Once booted into the macOS installer, follow the instructions to install macOS via OpenCore.
  6. Once finished, make sure to build OCLP onto your boot drive, so you won't need the thumb drive anymore.
Try this?

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
If you update Monterey on a Mac Pro 5,1 with een open core patcher, are there any problems? (e.g. from 12.6.3 to 12.6.4)

iAuremo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
I try again, but nothing, black screen. But if I press "Power", the MP 5.1 turns off.
P.S the monitor feels like it is turned off at all, but its indicator light shows that it is on.
What's up?

iAuremo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
So. I tried swapping my new GPU for the old GPU.
Everything worked.
But the computer halfway through the boot process rebooted and started installing mac os monterey again

I did not have time to react, I wanted to take a picture to know what to choose, but MP 5.1 made the choice for me.
Lmao

iAuremo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
Hmm. Surprisingly the second attempt to install mac os monterey my MP 5.1 is successful with 6 minutes left. Let's see what happens after 6 minutes.

iAuremo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
image.jpg

A good 5 minutes he's already so "lagged"

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
So what you need to do now is put the RX 580 back in, boot into the USB installer via OCLP, and reinstall. Give it as much time as it needs and don't turn off the power as it's installing.

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Is it normal if the fans on the video card are not spinning?
Depends on the video card. Mine has a single blower (which is awful because it gets SUPER hot and SUPER loud). I think yours might be a "zero RPM" fan, which means it will only spin up if it needs to. I have a few video cards like that myself (that I use in test machines).

iAuremo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
Hi @rm5
I would like to know something, if OpenCore Patcher will work on MP 5.1, will the update be the same? As usual? (I mean like from HS to Monterey), only now from Monterey to Ventura. Just would like to know how she is doing right now. Would it be worth a try? Or is she not yet stable running like the Monterey?

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Hi @rm5
I would like to know something, if OpenCore Patcher will work on MP 5.1, will the update be the same? As usual? (I mean like from HS to Monterey), only now from Monterey to Ventura. Just would like to know how she is doing right now. Would it be worth a try? Or is she not yet stable running like the Monterey?
Hey, sorry for being slow here.

In order to upgrade, you have to download a Full Installer for the macOS you're upgrading to. This can be achieved by going to this page and clicking any of the links—and it'll take you to the App Store. Otherwise, you can run (in the terminal) softwareupdate --list-full-installers, and then softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version [version], where [version] represents the macOS version, e.g. 13.1, 13.2, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.