Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I think you’re confusing a skin allergy to something in the band or the finish of the watch with “electrical pulses”.
I would also say a skin allergy. But when you put something between your skin and the watch and still have the issue, it’s not an allergy. Also, didn’t bother my daughter when she wore the watch and it was off. She really tried everything to keep it but couldn’t.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
As I’ve noted, I had an electrical burn under the glass. It looked like a sun burn, as well as pulsing on my other hand. Like my hand was opening and closing involuntarily - not as dramatic as it sounds but definitely noticeable. My other watches didn’t do that and it doesn’t appear that the watch materials have changed significantly (when in contact with my skin) between the recent model and the one before it. Remember I’ve had an Apple Watch for years. I even still own the original!

Anastasia 111111

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2022
Hey, I had exactly the same experience with Apple watch series 3. After wearing it the first day I was feeling weird sensations, like tiny electric wave going to my fingers. And after taking them off, could feel burning sensations and saw red mark. I tried different wrists and even put on my leg for an experiment. So i had to return them. Not sure that I want to use Apple watch anymore.

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
Hey, I had exactly the same experience with Apple watch series 3. After wearing it the first day I was feeling weird sensations, like tiny electric wave going to my fingers. And after taking them off, could feel burning sensations and saw red mark. I tried different wrists and even put on my leg for an experiment. So i had to return them. Not sure that I want to use Apple watch anymore.
What a fantastic first post, I raise my hat, thanks for your insight.
Maybe we all should stop using Apple Watches, they seem to be really dangerous, who knows what else might happen to us….

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
What a fantastic first post, I raise my hat, thanks for your insight.
Maybe we all should stop using Apple Watches, they seem to be really dangerous, who knows what else might happen to us….

Google “psychosomatic illness” for a good idea of “what might happen”. Apple watches aren’t dangerous. (Note: I am not dismissing the symptoms people experienced - just what the actual cause is).

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
I have read that there are those hats made from tin foil… they seem to protect you against all sorts of bad things like electrosmog and maybe even chemtrails. Could be also helpful against electric waves caused by the Apple Watch…. food for thought 🥸

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE

Since the series 3 the weird sensations have reduced significantly to the point that in the series 7 they are hardly noticeable. You certainly don’t get the red mark anymore. If you try the series 7 on your leg you won’t notice anything at all as long as you wear it on the inside (easier to see the time) The next release of watchOS also has the option of left and right leg wearing, so that the crown is the correct way up.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I didn’t read every reply, so don’t know if this has been asked, but is it a cellular version?

I have had a few problems on and off with sensitivity with the watch, specifically when I bought a 2nd gen SS some years back. At the time the watch was thicker, and the sensor seemed to hit a specific nerve in my arm, causing shooting pains up my arm - didn’t happen with the regular aluminum, so that’s what I’ve worn since, and didn’t get cellular version again for several years (Until series 6, and now 7). Occasionally I have what feels like a slight burning sensation, but I can turn cellular off for a while, or even remove my watch for a short time, and it subsides. It doesn’t happen all the time, so I’m fine to remove it and take a break from it for a bit if needed.

I did try going to a SS again with series 7, and, though I didn’t give it much of a trial period, it felt fairly quickly like it would be more bothersome to me - I just think that little extra weight must be enough to aggravate that nerve it sits on.

I wear my watch a little looser than most I’m sure. If I need it to get specifics like O2 or do an EKG, I’ll tighten it for that purpose then loosen it a notch. It still keeps up with my steps, exercise, and usually my heart rate with no problems being slightly looser, and that definitely helps with any nerve/shooting pain.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
To be clear I don’t mean posters photos of red wrists and blisters. I mean clinical evidence from an authoritative source.
I assumed as much. Empirical evidence is now always trumped by "the feels", unfortunately.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I have no doubt that AW effects some people but that is the vast minority because otherwise their would be studies from authorities if it were a common problem…

Reactions: jumpcutking

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I have no doubt that AW effects some people but that is the vast minority because otherwise their would be studies from authorities if it were a common problem…
I will be controversial and say that the problem of burns, nerve twitches etc are nothing to do with an AW …… The only thing I do believe is that a tiny minority experience some kind of allergy.

If these burns etc existed and they were attributable to AW we would see high profile litigation and we don’t (happy to be corrected).

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I will be controversial and say that the problem of burns, nerve twitches etc are nothing to do with an AW …… The only thing I do believe is that a tiny minority experience some kind of allergy.

If these burns etc existed and they were attributable to AW we would see high profile litigation and we don’t (happy to be corrected).

Well, if it’s rare, which it seems to be, I’m pretty sure it would be difficult to attribute much to the watch. I can say that I’ve had an AW since the series 1, and I definitely have had noticeable issues a few different times - not my imagination. I mean it’s nothing that stops me from wearing the watch, but certainly I notice the occasional shooting pain in my arm where I think the nerve is being pressed to hard if my watch is tight, or a burning on occasion, which could possibly be attributed to the cellular. Just because it’s only a few people who experience issues doesn’t mean they are made up.

I’m not a fan of litigation - if I had a particular issue with the watch that kept me from wearing it, I wouldn’t wear it. If a million people had the same issue, I’d expect it would be addressed.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Google “psychosomatic illness” for a good idea of “what might happen”. Apple watches aren’t dangerous. (Note: I am not dismissing the symptoms people experienced - just what the actual cause is).
Lol. I think it’s possible for some Apple Watches to have a bad Production run. I’ve actually had first degree burns caused by the watch, directly under the main sensor. Not on the band or anything else.

I would have to state that at least my report is not “psychosomatic” but I cannot speak for other reports. I love the Apple Watch and prior to my diagnosis of the burn I never thought anything wrong could happen.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I didn’t read every reply, so don’t know if this has been asked, but is it a cellular version?

I have had a few problems on and off with sensitivity with the watch, specifically when I bought a 2nd gen SS some years back. At the time the watch was thicker, and the sensor seemed to hit a specific nerve in my arm, causing shooting pains up my arm - didn’t happen with the regular aluminum, so that’s what I’ve worn since, and didn’t get cellular version again for several years (Until series 6, and now 7). Occasionally I have what feels like a slight burning sensation, but I can turn cellular off for a while, or even remove my watch for a short time, and it subsides. It doesn’t happen all the time, so I’m fine to remove it and take a break from it for a bit if needed.

I did try going to a SS again with series 7, and, though I didn’t give it much of a trial period, it felt fairly quickly like it would be more bothersome to me - I just think that little extra weight must be enough to aggravate that nerve it sits on.

I wear my watch a little looser than most I’m sure. If I need it to get specifics like O2 or do an EKG, I’ll tighten it for that purpose then loosen it a notch. It still keeps up with my steps, exercise, and usually my heart rate with no problems being slightly looser, and that definitely helps with any nerve/shooting pain.
The issues I received were caused by no cellular or the GPS/WiFi version.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Is anyone aware of any clinical evidence that supports claims of ‘weird things’ by users.
While I didn’t get to the emergency room, I do have a document case with Apple, and the probably still have photos of the burn. To be honest, I probably should have gotten a physician’s help as opposed to the medical team Apple directed me to but with what felt like a sunburn… I just took the few days to recover.

I don’t always go to a physician for burns… however I didn’t seek medical advice in the form of a virtual visit with a nurse practitioner who offered similar advice to what’s stated above. (At least I believe I did, this post is rather old and I’m not 100% sure I did.)

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I assumed as much. Empirical evidence is now always trumped by "the feels", unfortunately.
I’m not sure, it would be interesting to research with a Medical Journal. I honestly thought that my report was the only instance… but it looks like enough people have reported similar findings that more than just anecdotal evidence should be available.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020

Unfortunately with the reported history in my case, I have had no history with problems except by the Apple Watch 7. Various other versions had no effect - so I’m in the belief that it was a defective product not a defective product line. If that makes sense…

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Occasionally I have what feels like a slight burning sensation, but I can turn cellular off for a while
FYI, the cellular circuitry is completely off until the watch loses all known/paired bluetooth and wifi signals. Only then does the cellular chip and antenna get powered on. The battery on the watch is far too small to have cellular powered on at all times -- regardless of whether you've specifically got cellular turned on in settings.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
FYI, the cellular circuitry is completely off until the watch loses all known/paired bluetooth and wifi signals. Only then does the cellular chip and antenna get powered on. The battery on the watch is far too small to have cellular powered on at all times -- regardless of whether you've specifically got cellular turned on in settings.

That actually happens a good bit for me during the day. One reason I have the cellular watch is because I have property and spend a lot of time out in the barn, where it is often a pain to find a good spot for my phone. I also go to our guest house quite a bit because my daughter’s family is living in it, so I’m not near my phone during those times either.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I'll chime in as this happened to me and more than once. In fact it just did again today.

Once in a while I get a red spot under my watch that looks like a burn. It usually becomes a blister that pops and leaves a sore. It has happened across multiple versions of the Watch. A few months ago after getting one on my left arm where I normally wear it the Watch did it to my right arm before the left had healed completely.

I find that it is more often when there is water or moisture under the watch. So I make sure it is dry underneath after I shower. Today I was at the gym working out and sweating. Rather unfortunate that a fitness device like this designed to be worn when you are sweating would do this. Perhaps just the moisture is enough to allow some abrasion irritation that turns into an irritated spot on your skin.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
It is not,... I did a test last week a few days on and a few days off. Def, when it was off it felt better, but when it was on it... just was weird.

Electrical currents are the essential communication platform for your nervous system - it's bio chemical interactions and electrical impulses that send and receive information from all around your body to your brain.

Prolonged exposure to non-life-threatening electric signals - could result in your nervous system interpreting information incorrectly or not receive the information at all. For now, I've sent it back and will hold off a few before considering it again.

‘Maybe the Apple Watch is not for you. If it causes harm like you say there would be thousands of post like yours and they are rare. Some are very sensitive, most are not.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
‘Maybe the Apple Watch is not for you. If it causes harm like you say there would be thousands of post like yours and they are rare. Some are very sensitive, most are not.
While I can’t confirm this, I feel like it was a manufacturing defect with the particular item. Not the line. As in previous lines I didn’t have that issue. However, it’s all speculation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.