Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
Last year I switched my S4 to my dominant wrist out of vanity - to reduce the tan line on the non-dominant side. I could feel odd sensations in that wrist the entire time that I've never felt from other wrist decor (bracers, cuffs, bracelets, etc). Switched back to the non-dominant wrist and no further issues. It may just be extra sensitivity in one wrist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farrellcollie

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
This is happening far too frequently to be a freak accident. I bought an Ultra to see if the different back material might help but it is even worse now then before. I just spent a few weeks wearing my watch on my right arm to let the 3 wounds on my left arm to heal which they finally did. Switched it back to my left arm yesterday. By this morning I had a new large blister under the watch again. Always where the bottom left corner of the watch is on my arm.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
This is happening far too frequently to be a freak accident. I bought an Ultra to see if the different back material might help but it is even worse now then before. I just spent a few weeks wearing my watch on my right arm to let the 3 wounds on my left arm to heal which they finally did. Switched it back to my left arm yesterday. By this morning I had a new large blister under the watch again. Always where the bottom left corner of the watch is on my arm.
So your allergic to something.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
That sounds like a pressure or movement of the watch on your wrist. Like a blister on your heel from walking. Being right or left handed, type of hand/wrist movement you do regularly. Sweating with the salt or wet wrist more friction etc. Regardless, it’s not happening to frequently and not something Apple needs to or can fix. For me when I ride my bike my watch puts pressure on my skin from wrist position. Multiple Long rides I also have some nerve irritation that can go up to elbow. Red skin minor rash also from sweating and the watch moving. I’ve always purchased the larger sizes but with Apple increasing sizes, I’m thinking of trying the smaller version while riding. I never had this issue with earlier versions. For now winter has fixed the problem.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
Some people are just extra sensitive.

These are not burns, just skin irritations. Different reactions for different people.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Some people are just extra sensitive.

These are not burns, just skin irritations. Different reactions for different people.
Mine was classified as a burn, however with my Ultra it hasn’t happened again. I’m counting it as a fluke - personally. It could have been just a bad hardware - or I’ve learned they get really really hot when charged but I haven’t been burned or injured or any sensitivity by my new watch.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
It’s very interesting. I would consult a medical professional and get advice. Because the forum isn’t wrong it could be a sensitivity thing, the blister theory sounds like a good theory, and whatever it is - a medical professional will be able to help you.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
If your watch started to get hot you would remove it before it got hot enough to cause a big blister. No way the temperature could instantly go up to the point where it burned a blister like some are claiming.

The watch has a tiny battery that does not have the capacity to instantly increase the temperature to the point one gets burned before you could take it off. Thermal runaway would at least take minutes where the watch would slowly go from warm to hot to burning hot where you would have 3rd degree burns.

Reactions: bricktop_at

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
The watch has a tiny battery that does not have the capacity to instantly increase the temperature to the point one gets burned before you could take it off. Thermal runaway would at least take minutes where the watch would slowly go from warm to hot to burning hot where you would have 3rd degree burns.

I don’t think I would rule it out; it’s not hard to imagine, for example, seawater incursion causing a short that got really dramatic really quickly. (That we don’t have any significant reports of this tells us that Apple has protected the devices really well against this sort of thing — but it doesn’t mean it’s a priori impossible.)

But one can be as certain as certain gets that the watch would be obviously dead as a result. Not only would it not turn on, there would be unmistakable damage to the case. There would have been nasty smells that would probably linger, and it would very likely “let go of the magic smoke.”

There is absolutely no plausible scenario whatsoever in which the watch gets hot enough to cause a thermal burn yet the watch remains operational.

Again, there are all sorts of scenarios in which a burn-like sore results from wearing any sort of bracelet, especially a tight-fitting one. And, in plenty of those scenarios, the wound builds gradually enough that one only becomes aware of it suddenly. One may legitimately perceive something like this as “the thing suddenly burned me.” And a medical professional absolutely needs to hear that perspective to make a good diagnosis and should take it seriously.

But it’s just as important to recognize that this was not the watch overheating, even if it very well might have seemed like it.

As an analogy, consider a migraine. The sufferer really does see flashing lights, but that doesn’t mean that there’s an actual lightbulb that’s flashing. The perception is real, but the perception is not (in this case) a reliable indicator of an objective external phenomenon.

b&

Reactions: Jackbequickly

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
If your watch started to get hot you would remove it before it got hot enough to cause a big blister. No way the temperature could instantly go up to the point where it burned a blister like some are claiming.

It starts with an itchy feeling under the watch but by then it is too late. No the watch does not get hot. But it happens very randomly. I even tried a case to see if keeping the metal parts away from my skin would help. Nope.

Reactions: Saturn007

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
It would seem that way but this has happened with several series of AW including my Ultra. The back of it and case are all different materials from 7 aren’t they?
Different materials yes, but who knows what kind of coating is applied to protect during shipping/assembly/storage of the casing components before the whole thing is put together.

There could be a component of the ceramic glass lens that you’re allergic to as well. I don’t think anyone’s ever gotten a full breakdown of the exact composition of that material.

Have you ever been tested for a nickel allergy? I’d bet that’s what’s going on here.

Reactions: MartyCan

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Since I was the OP, I wanted to update everyone. After waiting a year or so, I got the ultra. I didn’t experience any issues, and love the new screen… just not very privacy focused. People can read your messages at a quick glance looking over your shoulder…

BUT… I suspect that my issue was related to a one-time defective watch or as the engineer noticed that my hair had gotten under the watch face and may have acted as a grounding agent.

I’m any event, I do love my watch and the experience and am glad that all things worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.