Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
For anyone at all interested, I'm nine videos into a series on my YouTube channel where I'm mixing well-known popular commercial multitracks by artists like Queen, Doobie Brothers, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye on my home 32-channel console with flying faders:

If you are at all interested in things like this, please stop by, maybe give me a like and subscribe to my little channel.

Manek43509

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
So final update for a while this is my little home studio finished, for now:

View attachment 2102998

I say, 'for now' because I can't think of anything else I want in it atm...least not in terms of things you can see, but are these spaces ever finished? Like any hobby you're always working on them and improving. I want to rig-up a second half-decent audio interface behind the scenes to keep the Revox permanently connected to the main digital rig instead of cable-swapping, but that will be hidden from view behind the mixing consoles which already hide a multitude of sins including power supplies and several powered and passive USB hubs.
Dude this is awesome. Love the tape machine! Can't believe I only just found this thread... but I've really enjoyed seeing the evolution of your studio. My studio space has changed a lot in the last few years too (I'll post a picture of its current state soon!). What kind of stuff do you normally work on?

Manek43509

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
Here's a couple of snaps of mine, @MajorFubar...

url-studio-23-4.jpg

url-studio-23-3.jpg

url-studio-23-5.jpg

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I was thinking with home audio setup you should look at the shareware LoopBack because many many podcasters seem to love this program!
I know you've kindly recommended it three times so far in this thread, and I've pointed out I don't need it because my audio interface has a hardware loopback facility built-in :)
I'm sure it's a great product for those who need it.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Ok so it's been a while since I posted an update.

I sold the turntable. Sold the MacBook. Both of which I felt I didn't use enough.

In January I sent my Nakamichi DR1 cassette deck to a guy about 100 miles from home to have its belts replaced, because they had turned to goo. It’s now reinstated and sounding exceptional again. Speaking of cassette, I reinstated my Yamaha MT-4X portastudio so I can start digitising some multitrack cassette tapes I made in the 90s, which still sound awesome after all these years having been recorded at 3.75IPS on TDK chrome tape with DBX. They can be transferred in one pass into the four-channel interface attached to my computer, for further processing in my DAW.

IMG_8265.JPG

So…I’m really happy with my studio now, and where this journey has taken me since I started it by assembling a Thomman Combodesk 88 into my ridiculously-cramped 6’ x 7’ boxroom on 28 December 2021. On the digital-side, I have the facilities to undertake most kinds of in-the-box post-production and mastering, and on the analog side I have the equipment required to undertake digital transfers of nearly all speeds and formats of cassette and ¼” R2R tape.

Creatively, I mainly use VSTs and plugins in Logic Pro to write and perform new-wave/synth/dance/trance. The room isn’t ideally suited to acoustic recording, but I do have a client who visits a couple of times a month to lay vocals against YouTube backing tracks. So it can manage acoustic recording ‘at a push’, but it is more suited to creating productions using VSTs, and being used as post-production-suite, which is what I set it up to be.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Ok so it's been a while since I posted an update.

I sold the turntable. Sold the MacBook. Both of which I felt I didn't use enough.

In January I sent my Nakamichi DR1 cassette deck to a guy about 100 miles from home to have its belts replaced, because they had turned to goo. It’s now reinstated and sounding exceptional again. Speaking of cassette, I reinstated my Yamaha MT-4X portastudio so I can start digitising some multitrack cassette tapes I made in the 90s, which still sound awesome after all these years having been recorded at 3.75IPS on TDK chrome tape with DBX. They can be transferred in one pass into the four-channel interface attached to my computer, for further processing in my DAW.

View attachment 2171014

So…I’m really happy with my studio now, and where this journey has taken me since I started it by assembling a Thomman Combodesk 88 into my ridiculously-cramped 6’ x 7’ boxroom on 28 December 2021. On the digital-side, I have the facilities to undertake most kinds of in-the-box post-production and mastering, and on the analog side I have the equipment required to undertake digital transfers of nearly all speeds and formats of cassette and ¼” R2R tape.

Creatively, I mainly use VSTs and plugins in Logic Pro to write and perform new-wave/synth/dance/trance. The room isn’t ideally suited to acoustic recording, but I do have a client who visits a couple of times a month to lay vocals against YouTube backing tracks. So it can manage acoustic recording ‘at a push’, but it is more suited to creating productions using VSTs, and being used as post-production-suite, which is what I set it up to be.
Awesome. Been super cool to follow this thread. Don’t hesitate to post any updates in the future!

• Love
Reactions: MajorFubar

Evh 5150

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2023
So my Xmas present to myself was a new home studio desk to replace this clutter which was my previous workspace:

View attachment 1936339

I have a very small home studio, built into what here in the UK is laughably called a bedroom (because it's upstairs, it has a window and you can *just about* fit a bed in it) but stateside would be called a walk-in closet. It's barely 6'x7.5'.

I decided on a B-stock Thomann Combo Desk 88, which I found at a good price on Thomann's website, but had to wait three weeks for delivery, partly hindered by Christmas:

View attachment 1936340

All 63kgs of it (~140lbs) turned up yesterday (Dec. 29th) in three separate packages. I'm only a fairly-small small guy (5' 6"), and a one-handed guy at that, and I'm pretty sure I must have burned-off a few pounds yesterday lugging that thing's a$$ upstairs and building it in a room which is barely an inch wider than the fully-assembled desk, but I did it:

View attachment 1936341

View attachment 1936344

View attachment 1936342

Je suis conscient que j'ai encore besoin de réhausseurs pour les enceintes Alesis. Ils étaient assis sur des supports Gorilla derrière mon ancien bureau, mais avec ce nouveau bureau, il n'y a pas assez de place pour mettre les haut-parleurs derrière. J'ai également besoin d'acheminer mon bien-aimé Sennheiser HD580 que j'utilise pour le mixage et la consommation musicale générale. Je n'ai pas eu l'occasion de le faire hier soir avant de m'effondrer dans mon lit pour la journée.

L'espace disponible sur la gauche, actuellement occupé par des articles de papeterie aléatoires et mon Mac Mini 2010 (déconnecté) abritera éventuellement mon nouvel ordinateur M1, quel qu'il soit ; que ce soit un ordinateur portable quelconque ou le pro Mini, après quoi l'iMac sera remplacé par un moniteur Samsung 28" que j'ai déjà acheté mais qui est en stockage.

Merci d'avoir cherché.

Evh 5150

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2023
Donc, mon cadeau de Noël à moi-même était un nouveau bureau de home studio pour remplacer cet encombrement qui était mon ancien espace de travail :

View attachment 1936339

J'ai un très petit home studio, construit dans ce qu'ici au Royaume-Uni on appelle ridiculement une chambre (parce que c'est à l'étage, il y a une fenêtre et vous pouvez * à peu près * y installer un lit) mais aux États-Unis s'appellerait une promenade- dans le placard. C'est à peine 6'x7.5'.

J'ai opté pour un B-stock Thomann Combo Desk 88, que j'ai trouvé à bon prix sur le site de Thomann, mais j'ai dû attendre trois semaines pour la livraison, en partie gêné par Noël :

View attachment 1936340

Les 63 kg (~ 140 lb) sont arrivés hier (29 décembre) dans trois colis distincts. Je ne suis qu'un petit gars assez petit (5' 6"), et un gars à une main en plus, et je suis presque sûr que j'ai dû brûler quelques livres hier en traînant cette chose est un $$ à l'étage et le construisant dans une pièce qui est à peine un pouce plus large que le bureau entièrement assemblé, mais je l'ai fait :

View attachment 1936341

View attachment 1936344

View attachment 1936342

Je suis conscient que j'ai encore besoin de réhausseurs pour les enceintes Alesis. Ils étaient assis sur des supports Gorilla derrière mon ancien bureau, mais avec ce nouveau bureau, il n'y a pas assez de place pour mettre les haut-parleurs derrière. J'ai également besoin d'acheminer mon bien-aimé Sennheiser HD580 que j'utilise pour le mixage et la consommation musicale générale. Je n'ai pas eu l'occasion de le faire hier soir avant de m'effondrer dans mon lit pour la journée.

L'espace disponible sur la gauche, actuellement occupé par des articles de papeterie aléatoires et mon Mac Mini 2010 (déconnecté) abritera éventuellement mon nouvel ordinateur M1, quel qu'il soit ; que ce soit un ordinateur portable quelconque ou le pro Mini, après quoi l'iMac sera remplacé par un moniteur Samsung 28" que j'ai déjà acheté mais qui est en stockage.

Merci d'avoir cherché.

Evh 5150

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2023
Bonjour , votre combo desk est très beau et j'envisage d' en acheter un .
pensez-vous me dire quelle est la dimension entre le tiroir du clavier et le dessous du plateau de travail ? je voudrais y mettre un Genos Yamaha et cette mesure n'est pas précise sur les documentations.
Merci beaucoup
cordialement
Evh 5150 .

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Whoops sorry I missed those questions...guess it's too late now.

Crazy how it's been over a year since I last updated this thread. But that's because in this space I've been mostly consumed with creating and producing, and I haven't needed to change anything. However I have branched into offering tape-to-computer transfers and also mastering to tape. Swapping around my various machines for these tasks has been quite strenuous on my back which definitely isn't 25 any more (you can double that and add some). So I needed something which could hold about 6 of my recorders that I could patch-in to my workflows quickly, as-and-when required.

I found a TV unit at Argos (UK mail order store) and yesterday built it in my home studio. All I'm waiting to arrive now is a pair of switchboxes which will allow me to quickly and easily hotswap the decks to my main desk with the push of a couple of buttons for both recording and replay:

pic.jpg

From L-R T-B:
Revox B77, half-track stereo R2R, 7.5IPS and 15IPS;
Akai GX4000D 1/4-track stereo R2R, 3.75IPS and 7.5IPS;
Nakamichi DR-1 three-head twin-capstan-drive cassette deck with azimuth adjust;
Yamaha MT-4X 4-track multitracker with DBX, 1.875IPS (standard speed) and 3.75IPS (double speed);
Aiwa AD1250 two-head cassette deck with FeCr (Type III) tape capability;
Grundig TK121 twin-track mono R2R, 3.75IPS.

Last edited:

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
@hjorte I bought these cheap 8-way passive switchboxes off eBay, one for Record and one for Replay. They're just 'no brand' eBay specials from PRC, described as 'AV switchboxes' but they're fine for just audio alone, they just have nine yellow RCA sockets I won't use:

switchboxes 1.jpg
switchboxes 2.jpg

Everything is 'plumbed in' now and they work great, but the next question was where to put the switchboxes, because stuffed behind the R2R recorders is not convenient. So I've ordered a wooden monitor-riser, again one of those no-brand eBay specials, which will fit under the Akai tape recorder on the top right and quite by luck will raise it to the same height as the Revox:

Riser.jpg

I'll update the thread again when the riser arrives and everything is set up in its final position.

Last edited:
Reactions: hjorte

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
So the monitor stand arrived. I built it. And I hated it:

Riser2.jpg

I just didn't like the look of the RH machine towering over the left. And the monitor stand is not wide enough for me to just saw off the bottom and put the switchboxes side by side. Undeterred I fashioned a better-looking solution (IMO) by dismantling it and making a shelf out of its upper piece with adhesive felt feet that sits on top of the switchboxes, and I used the remainder of the wood to made supports for the back:

Riser3.jpg

So at least the money wasn't wasted. I'm happier with that look now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.