Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
ORIGINAL POST:

This isn't PowerPC related, but I figure all the fans of tinkering here will appreciate it.

I am getting an early 08 white MacBook sometime this week from someone on LEM swap. Being that 08 MacBooks can only run up to 10.7, I want it to be able to run 10.10/10.11. In order to do that, I need to upgrade the board to at least a Early 09 pre-unibody Logic board. That way I have a better GPU, updated processor, and a few other small improvements. I also need a new heat sink and DVD drive as well. So these upgrades are going to cost me $67.56 exact. The board is $30, the heat sync is about $5, the thermal paste is about $6, and the DVD drive is about $23, which roughly equals my total. I won't be getting the MacBook until past Thursday, and then I'll order all the parts afterwards. I figured I might as well document everything that in doing. The cost to do this really isn't that bad being that I'm getting this laptop basically for free (I'm trading something that was collecting dust for it), and in the long run will make this a very useful Mac that I can just toss in a bag, unlike my MBP which has every single port with something plugged in to it.

So that's it for now, but I figured I'd share with everyone what I was doing. Its not very hard to do, and if you have a Late 07 MB-Mid 08 MB, it's pretty straight forward, but anything lower will require a lot more work as the internal wiring is different.

EDITED POST:

This project has been completed successfully! It was a very easy transition and is definately worth while for anyone with a Late 07-Mid 08 MacBook. All you need for the upgrade is;
  1. Early/Mid 09 MacBook Logic Board (Not Unibody!)
  2. Early/Mid 09 MacBook Heat Sink
  3. SATA-based SuperDrive (if your MacBook doesn't already have one)
  4. Thermal Paste
  5. Early/Mid 09 MacBook bottom Pan (screw holes are in different positions)
It's extremely straight forward by using the iFixit guide on how to remove the bottom pan (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+Lower+Case+Replacement/537). Also, at the end after everything is reassembled, you will likely have to do a PRAM Reset. I had to do so in order for the computer to boot because I was greeted with a flashing ? Folder.

If you are going to be attempting this project, and you have a question, comment, or concern, please let me know by either PMing me or writing a reply down below!

Video of the swap:
(VIDEO COMING SOON!)

Last edited:

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
I have to admit this is the kind of thing i love to do. BUT i wouldn't do it on a working computer unless i had all the bits n pieces already lying around. I bought a non-working (faulty graphic chip) ibook g3 700z (i think, long time ago!!) for £5 and replaced the logic board which cost me £15 and it worked perfectly. i eventually sold it for €60 on eBay and so made a very small profit and had fun in the process.
Make sure you let us know how it goes.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I have to admit this is the kind of thing i love to do. BUT i wouldn't do it on a working computer unless i had all the bits n pieces already lying around. I bought a non-working (faulty graphic chip) ibook g3 700z (i think, long time ago!!) for £5 and replaced the logic board which cost me £15 and it worked perfectly. i eventually sold it for €60 on eBay and so made a very small profit and had fun in the process.
Make sure you let us know how it goes.

Definitely... I will be documenting the entire thing hopefully. However it may be put back a few days because I have some stuff going on at the end of next week, which will be when I would probably be getting all the parts. So in 2 weeks I'll buy and gets the parts and then I'll document it. But for now, I'll just post some pictures of the laptop when I get it.

CapnCrunch53

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
Indiana
If I'd known this was a possibility, I'd probably have done that when I had to replace the logic board in my 2008 Blackbook... oh well. Definitely keep us updated on this project; if it's really doable for less than $50 (I don't care about the DVD drive; mine was broken and I removed it anyways), I might keep this in mind for an upgrade down the road.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If I'd known this was a possibility, I'd probably have done that when I had to replace the logic board in my 2008 Blackbook... oh well. Definitely keep us updated on this project; if it's really doable for less than $50 (I don't care about the DVD drive; mine was broken and I removed it anyways), I might keep this in mind for an upgrade down the road.

Yeah I'll definitely keep everyone updated. The only reason you would need to upgrade the disk drive is if the drive that's currently in it is not a SATA drive, which Early 08s and below don't have (I'm not sure about mid 08, but late 08 has a SATA disk drive). Frankly, i may reconsider and put in a second HDD bay. If I really needed a DVD drive, I can hook one up using my SATA/IDE/PATA to USB cable and get a disk drive. The problem is, I don't have a hard drive to put into it :p. Perhaps if there is a small SSD that I can find cheaply, I'll stick it into the second bay and make it the boot disk, and then use the 250GB HDD for all my files.

Speaking of doing that, how do I do that on a Mac? I know how to do it on Windows 10, but I've never made an attempt to look into it on a Mac.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Good luck, and I'll be interested to see the write-up. If I could find a not-running but decent condition Blackbook I'd like to do the same. No Blackbook will(officially) run anything past 10.7.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Good luck, and I'll be interested to see the write-up. If I could find a not-running but decent condition Blackbook I'd like to do the same. No Blackbook will(officially) run anything past 10.7.

I kinda wish it was going to be a blackbook because of how awesome they are. Maybe one day ill find an empty shell of a blackbook and transfer everything into it. I kinda want to make a Black and white book, with a black lid and LCD cover and a white base and keyboard. Doing that will be a whole lot easier than trying to find a near mind empty shell.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I kinda wish it was going to be a blackbook because of how awesome they are. Maybe one day ill find an empty shell of a blackbook and transfer everything into it. I kinda want to make a Black and white book, with a black lid and LCD cover and a white base and keyboard. Doing that will be a whole lot easier than trying to find a near mind empty shell.

Since you're basically hollowing the 08 MacBook anyway - why not give it a paint job?

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The only problem with making it a BlackBook is that the complete shells are hard to come by and are expensive.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Krylon? I mean, since you'll have the Mac apart…;)

724504535652lg.jpg

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Isn't it kinda hard to be accurate with my painting, and I would also have to make sure I don't paint the keyboard or apple logo.

Just use measurements and tape. You can use fancy paint guns like the people at ColorWare too.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Joking, I was joking! But seriously, if you do undertake the effort then it's all about masking as Dark Void has indicated.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lol thanks guys, but I think I'll just stick to finding official parts... I'm not the most skilled painter in the world :p

Reactions: Altemose

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Lol thanks guys, but I think I'll just stick to finding official parts... I'm not the most skilled painter in the world :p
But still probably better than me.

I have absolutely zero patience for this sort of thing for some reason.

Reactions: Altemose

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011

It will give the machine character. =) In any case much luck on your project here.

Joking, I was joking! But seriously, if you do undertake the effort then it's all about masking as Dark Void has indicated.

Thanks for the creepy follow. :p

Jkj12

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
The seven seas
This is awesome. Please post lots of pics! :D

I have been planning on doing the same thing. Had a mid2009 and an early2008 Black. Wanted to swap logic boards and then sell the white one. Unfortunately the mid2009's logic board failed before I even got started.

I threw in a Samsung SSD in the blackbook and the 250gb hdd in the drive bay. I can really recommend doing that, especially in the 2009 models with sata2.

It is also possible, but not easy, to add backlit keys from a MacBook Air in them. Pretty awesome to have a mid2009 Blackbook with backlit keys running the newest os. ;)

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So here is an update;

The MacBook is shipping tomorrow. The guy who is shipping it to me is including the box and everything that came with it, a charger, a spare battery, and a Mid-09 lower case for the new board I'm putting in! It's a huge bonus that I am getting the second base because it has the proper screw mounts, and it will be easier to put the new board in being that all I have to do is swap the bases out. I the only issue I have is that my new Heat Sink doesn't have the screws. The guy I'm getting it from is going to see if he has any spares. If anyone here has some, I'd be willing to buy them from you! Unless, can I use the ones from the old heat sink?

Anyway, I should be getting it either Monday or Tuesday. I'll post an update and pictures here as soon as I get it up and running.

I will not be buying the new board and everything else for another week, but I'll update again once I buy everything, and again when I get them, and yet again when I put them in and get it all up and running perfectly, lol. Anyway, that's it for now. Just wanted to keep this thread alive for the time being.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.