Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Is there any way to get picture-in-picture working with Netflix on iOS 10?

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Not until Netflix updates the app.
Ok thought so. It's disappointing since that it won't happen until the official iOS 10 release. Does anybody know if it's possible to make it work regardless of the version? I think other apps are able to do this and work on iOS 10 without an update.

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Netlfix enabled picture in picture several weeks ago. I decided not to try iOS 10 at this time, so I haven't checked

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I know it works on iOS 9 but for some reason it is version specific as it didn't work if you updated the app before 1.9.2 and now it doesn't work on 10.0.

Well, when you're beta testing an OS before general release, I guess there's no avoiding the fact some apps won't be optimized.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Wish apple would add PiP for iPhone Plus and Apple TV...
Yeah I think it will come to all iPhone models and tvOS next year. I was expecting it this year but I guess they're reserving features for future OS versions.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Not sure how PiP would be all that useful on an Apple TV. I don't imagine a whole lot of people multitask on Apple TV like they do with a phone, tablet, computer.

Watching Catchup/Live TV/Youtube while playing a game, doing a workout, Checking app store for apps, Viewing pictures, playing with settings etc.

Plenty of times, I get annoyed when watching say Netflix or even Live TV and I have to close it right down when tweaking settings or checking to see if an app is on store.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Watching Catchup/Live TV/Youtube while playing a game, doing a workout, Checking app store for apps, Viewing pictures, playing with settings etc.

Plenty of times, I get annoyed when watching say Netflix or even Live TV and I have to close it right down when tweaking settings or checking to see if an app is on store.

That sounds more of a low patience kinda thing. I mean really, how many people need to tweak a setting while watching Netflix, or need to look at a photo while watching YouTube. Pretty much every example you gave was things you're just too impatient to wait for. You can't check the App Store after watching a YouTube video? Is checking for an app that important?

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
That sounds more of a low patience kinda thing. I mean really, how many people need to tweak a setting while watching Netflix, or need to look at a photo while watching YouTube. Pretty much every example you gave was things you're just too impatient to wait for. You can't check the App Store after watching a YouTube video? Is checking for an app that important?

No its an inconvenience if watching live TV and I miss the programme and sometimes I like background noise from TV when checking photos or doing things.

Or what if a family want to view some pictures on big TV but I am trying got watch a tv show, can do both without interfering. Not everyone is spoilt for time.

There is no harm in giving option for PiP.

Reactions: jagooch

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Love it when someone doesn't see a use in a feature and will argue with others who do to tell them they're wrong.

TVs have had PiP for years.

I didn't say he was wrong. I love when someone comes into a thread and puts words in others mouths.

I just can't see there being a high demand for "OMG I need to change a setting on my Apple TV or update an app right now! The 1 minute left in this video I'm watch will set me back the rest of the day."

I just thought the reasoning was flat. Not that he was wrong. Doesn't the MLB app do PiP within the app to watch two games? That has a use and already exists, but PiP to go into Settings or go look at a photo or update an app. That's kinda just impatience.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Try setting up an Apple TV with no background video to entertain you... Then try say that ;)

Anyway I just gave a quick example off the top of my head... What about the apps for craft ideas, or house decorating, it's nice having tv on in background when browsing those apps.

Saves me lugging my 17 inch Mac Book Pro downstairs and having two devices drain my electricity lol...

Also its not about being inpatient, as I said, its nice to have a programme on in background when setting stuff up or doing other things.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Try setting up an Apple TV with no background video to entertain you... Then try say that ;)

Anyway I just gave a quick example off the top of my head... What about the apps for craft ideas, or house decorating, it's nice having tv on in background when browsing those apps.

Saves me lugging my 17 inch Mac Book Pro downstairs and having two devices drain my electricity lol...

I've set up multiple Apple TV's with no PiP. Wasn't an issue ;)

There can be situations where it would be useful I suppose, just some of the examples you gave were kinda silly.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
I've set up multiple Apple TV's with no PiP. Wasn't an issue ;)

There can be situations where it would be useful I suppose, just some of the examples you gave were kinda silly.

Well I just finished my 9 day week of 10-12 hour shifts, I am tired :(, couldn't give a better example lol at the time - but if you don't like the idea of PiP that's fine, just be nice to have the choice :p

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
You have to wonder what's broken with Netflix implementation that its literally the only PiP app that doesn't work just fine on iOS 10 beta.

I wish Apple would come down hard and enforce the standard AVPlayer UI on all these Apps. I hate having different playback UI between iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, HBO, Plex etc. etc. etc.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Have you tried other apps on iOS 10 beta to see if picture in picture works? Like HBO, HULU, PLEX, MLB, VLC??? Or the stock iOS video player?

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
I want to put iOS 10 on my iPad but Netflix pip is a deal breaker!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 767

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Have you tried other apps on iOS 10 beta to see if picture in picture works? Like HBO, HULU, PLEX, MLB, VLC??? Or the stock iOS video player?
Yes everything else works. Somehow Netflixs PiP implementation is version specific. It didn't work if you updated the app before 9.3.2 as well.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
BTW, Netflix has had, by my count, 3 Bug Fix updates since their PiP release...and has not addressed this issue.

And before you all start with the "its Beta". No, every single other App that supports PiP works on iOS 10, because they implemented it properly. Something is broken or sloppy with Netflix's implementation...and it simply doesn't work on iOS 10, and won't until they update it.
A self respecting developer will often update their App during the beta period to fix any major bugs (like this) so that their App doesn't suck all summer and leave a bad taste with users.
But Netflix is not a self respecting developer. The fact that they took over a year to launch PiP is pathetic, and clearly they didn't even do it right.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
BTW, Netflix has had, by my count, 3 Bug Fix updates since their PiP release...and has not addressed this issue.

And before you all start with the "its Beta". No, every single other App that supports PiP works on iOS 10, because they implemented it properly. Something is broken or sloppy with Netflix's implementation...and it simply doesn't work on iOS 10, and won't until they update it.
A self respecting developer will often update their App during the beta period to fix any major bugs (like this) so that their App doesn't suck all summer and leave a bad taste with users.
But Netflix is not a self respecting developer. The fact that they took over a year to launch PiP is pathetic, and clearly they didn't even do it right.
I know it's disgusting for an paid service app not to include it while others do. It's still annoying that Google haven't done it on YouTube however it's not a paid service and google is a software competitor. The problem with their implementation is that its version specific to 9.3.2. When I updated the app in 9.3.1 it didn't work and obviously the same happened with 10.0. They need to change their integration I don't know what they're doing wrong but they must be purposely checking for 9.3.2 or the latest consumer release before enabling PiP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.