Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Got my 30D an hour ago or so. The RAW files read fine in aperture.

As a side note, in full manual I was messing around and couldn't control aperture, I knew it should be the wheel but it wasn't doing anything. It took me a while to realize you have to turn the on switch all the way to that white line to engage the control wheel.

Oh and the big screen is nice. Very easy to tell what is sharp and what is not.

Leraste

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Los Angeles

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jared_kipe said:
Way ahead of you, I check Dpreview daily, just like macrumors.

I do the same, but more of a need to keep ahead of the "net hounds" on "complaints" when they come in to the store.

The concerns I have from the review are:

- AI Servo (continuous AF) interference banding issue (certain lenses, high sensitivities) {I see support headaches coming}

- Picture Style differences between RAW Image Task/Camera and DPP {To be honest, I have seen the same issues popping up between iPhoto, Lightroom, and Nikon Capture with my Nikon D50.

(In this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/190377/) it shows the different WB's between Lightroom and Nikon Capture. )

Other remarks are the "cons" are open to much debate.

If their forum system wasn't utter rubbish I'd probably spend more time on there. But usually I just look for new reviews. And listen to the sound clips of the shutter.

I like it now that I was "banned" by Phil for a sincere mistake on my part (long story - no, it had nothing to do with my posts). It was then I realized that Phil preferred ranting idiots, than one that made an innocent mistake.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Chip NoVaMac said:
I do the same, but more of a need to keep ahead of the "net hounds" on "complaints" when they come in to the store.

The concerns I have from the review are:

- AI Servo (continuous AF) interference banding issue (certain lenses, high sensitivities) {I see support headaches coming}

- Picture Style differences between RAW Image Task/Camera and DPP {To be honest, I have seen the same issues popping up between iPhoto, Lightroom, and Nikon Capture with my Nikon D50.

(In this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/190377/) it shows the different WB's between Lightroom and Nikon Capture. )

Other remarks are the "cons" are open to much debate.

I like it now that I was "banned" by Phil for a sincere mistake on my part (long story - no, it had nothing to do with my posts). It was then I realized that Phil preferred ranting idiots, than one that made an innocent mistake.

DP review has the banding issue, its not that bad. And only really shows up at ISO 3200, which to my knowledge I've never shot at. Plus on the 300D AI Servo was only available in Sports mode, and I never ever used anything other than Tv Av or M. I'm digging the fact I can select things like Metering modes and focusing modes on the 30D. But I'm though that the spot meter would follow the focusing point. Not that big of a deal since I generally use the center point then reframe, so I'll just lock exposure then reframe.

I only read on the DPreview forums if I see something on the homepage thats interesting. (like once every few months maybe) And its a chore because you have to click on every single reply to read it.
On a side note the conclusion for the 30D has horrible typos and I emailed Phil to let him know the day the review came out. But they're still there.

EDIT: Oh and I don't think the AI Servo banding is anywhere near as bad as the contrast edge banding the D200 does. Yikes.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Yes - I've shot a few hundred 1600 ISO shots - look like ISO 100 film - never have seen any sort of banding whatsoever in any photos regardless of auto focus mode or sensor sensativity.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Here is something I took in RAW today and converted via Aperture, only changing levels.

Attachments

• _MG_0169 - Version 2_1.jpg
    _MG_0169 - Version 2_1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 119

Leraste

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Los Angeles
jared_kipe said:
Here is something I took in RAW today and converted via Aperture, only changing levels.

Lovely picture. :D I just ordered my 30D 15 mintues ago via ritzcamera (turns out Dell DOES charge tax in my state).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.