Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
His tests seem somewhat "backyard", but he takes the time to do them and shares his results. Real world or jackass, it's still time and work.

Thanks Ken.

But he tests lenses he doesn't own, and has never used.

If you like him, then OK. He makes a lot of points that I agree with. Just don't give him credit for his "tests".

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Well I got the Nikon D300 for my birthday and a class to learn how to use it. I got it with the 18-200 VR lens and so far it has been working great for me. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I did go to the store and checkout the Canon 40D as well and I decided to go with the Nikon.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Well I got the Nikon D300 for my birthday and a class to learn how to use it. I got it with the 18-200 VR lens and so far it has been working great for me. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I did go to the store and checkout the Canon 40D as well and I decided to go with the Nikon.
It's a nice camera. Now that you're in the Nikon camp, I'd suggest heading over to Digital Photography Review and follow the D300 forums. There is also a Nikon-specific lens forum on that site as well. You could also look at Nikonians.org -- there is less contentiousness at Nikonians, due IMHO to oppressive moderation. I've never cared for Nikonians.org, but many people like it.

vtimagemaker

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Vermont
When I shot film for a million years, I shot Canon and Nikon and was always very happy with the qualithy. When I moved up to a DSLR, I started with a Nikon D100, and I've shot a lot of commercial work with it and like another poster has commented...never heard any complaints about quality. I've just recently moved up to the D300 and the quality is superb. I find it hard to imagine any situation where I feel it couldn't do the job.

Others make a good point about lenses and accessories. I think a high quality flash (one that's programmable), a GOOD tripod, and a real bag (like a Domke f2) are a must and should be considered. If you spend all of your money on the camera alone, you really limit yourself.

If I had to make a choice (which I have with the D300) I'll spend less on the camera body and more on lenses and accessories that help me expand my capabilities as a photographer.

Steve

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
If I had to make a choice (which I have with the D300) I'll spend less on the camera body and more on lenses and accessories that help me expand my capabilities as a photographer.

Agreed.

And yes, a D300 IS overkill for a beginner, but he also won't feel the need to purchase a "better" camera as skills improve, AND some people see $2,000 as basically nothing in the larger scheme of things.

I was tutoring a friend's niece in writing when the parents asked which laptop to buy her. I recommended an iMac for her or an iBook if they felt a laptop was necessary. After listening to my recommendations, they got her a large Powerbook and a huge ACD for it. They told me the iBooks looked "plasticky and cheap".

Yeah, that D300 feels pretty plasticky too...

mactastic1971

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Bay Area, CA
My wife wants to buy me a new digital camera but I cannot decide what to buy. She first wanted to get me a EOS-1Ds Mark III but I thought that was overkill. I have read good reviews about the Nikon D300 and I like the Canon 5D but it is getting to be an older model. Does anyone have either one and how do you like it.

I've been putting off upgrading from my 10D for about a year now since the Canon 5D is way way overdue for a facelift. You might want to keep track of the north lights rumour page. Its like macrumours for Canon.

Here is the link:- http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d2_3d_7d.html

Cheers
M.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I wouldn't pay any attention to Northlight rumours, they are basically guess work. You'd be better off attempting to predict them yourself.

The site had a 50D rumour page before the 40D turned up. Also they've failed to predict the 5D replacement for 2 years now.

mactastic1971

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I wouldn't pay any attention to Northlight rumours, they are basically guess work. You'd be better off attempting to predict them yourself.

The site had a 50D rumour page before the 40D turned up. Also they've failed to predict the 5D replacement for 2 years now.

The site mearly pulls in all the rumours across the net into one site - irrespective of if they are valid or not...

Sounds a bit like THIS WEBSITE to me ... (page2)

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
5D for sure. 1.5x crop is stupid. This is coming from a guy who shoots with two 1.6x cameras. I would've bought a 5D myself if it wasn't for the fact that I desperately needed a new computer.

Side note: no full frame cameras existed when I bought my cameras. Well, the 1Ds might've first came out at that time, but I couldn't afford that right out of college.

Image quality is probably equal. Compare samples a dpreview.com

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
I was looking at the d80, but it seems like a bad time to buy a d80 as a replacement is due in the next few months. I checked out the d300 today and I must say, it is a very, *very* impressive camera. Captures great pictures and the body feels great. While I wish it was slightly less expensive (always!), it seems like a steal at $1799 for the body.

I might pick one up in the next 2 months. I would advise you to check both camera's and choose the one that feels best, remember, ultimately both are great cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.