Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
I got my iMac 3.4 this morning! The setup was easy and I started installing loads of Apps before leaving for work! I did forget to remove the plastic that was around the screen but finally removed that when I got home lol. It's not dangerous to leave it on when the computer was on right?

It's running great and everything is very fast. I still have to install Logic etc to test it for music!
Congrats. Always exciting to get new stuff. Hopefully everything goes good for you and definitely let us know how it works in Logic for you.

galactic orange

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2018
I got my iMac 3.4 this morning! The setup was easy and I started installing loads of Apps before leaving for work! I did forget to remove the plastic that was around the screen but finally removed that when I got home lol. It's not dangerous to leave it on when the computer was on right?

It's running great and everything is very fast. I still have to install Logic etc to test it for music!

Eager to hear your experience with your new Mac.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I am going to try it out with big projects in Logic Pro these coming days and hopefully it will work great! If I have any issues I'll let you guys know here!

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
I am going to try it out with big projects in Logic Pro these coming days and hopefully it will work great! If I have any issues I'll let you guys know here!
How is it working so far? How large of projects in Logic can you run?

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
How is it working so far? How large of projects in Logic can you run?
I used the 3.4 model for about 2 weeks and had zero issues with huge projects in Logic Pro. Everything was extremely smooth and fast. I did however decide to return it and get the 3.5 gHz for the better graphics (which might be good in a couple of years). I've had the 3.5 for a few weeks now and it also works great! I have Logic Pro projects with around 200 tracks (mostly orchestral samples loaded via Kontakt) and it just works!

I definitively recommend this for music, no need to get the i7!

Reactions: EugW

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
I used the 3.4 model for about 2 weeks and had zero issues with huge projects in Logic Pro. Everything was extremely smooth and fast. I did however decide to return it and get the 3.5 gHz for the better graphics (which might be good in a couple of years). I've had the 3.5 for a few weeks now and it also works great! I have Logic Pro projects with around 200 tracks (mostly orchestral samples loaded via Kontakt) and it just works!

I definitively recommend this for music, no need to get the i7!

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear honestly. I don't really want the i7-7700k because of heat/fan noise issues, but I really want an i7.

So my thinking now, especially after apple released the 2018 MBP's, is that an i5-7600 @ 3.5ghz is enough for me to do what I need to do, and then I can wait for the coffee-lake i5's/i7's and get one of those 2-3 years from now.

I'm upgrading from a 2007 MBP so literally anything would be better, but I didn't want to run into similar bottlenecks my 2007 MBP is giving me.

I'll never need 200 tracks either. I was only doing 20-25 at most before it would crap out on me, so I'm hoping to get 35-50 tracks running some decent 3rd party plugins.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear honestly. I don't really want the i7-7700k because of heat/fan noise issues, but I really want an i7.

So my thinking now, especially after apple released the 2018 MBP's, is that an i5-7600 @ 3.5ghz is enough for me to do what I need to do, and then I can wait for the coffee-lake i5's/i7's and get one of those 2-3 years from now.

I'm upgrading from a 2007 MBP so literally anything would be better, but I didn't want to run into similar bottlenecks my 2007 MBP is giving me.

I'll never need 200 tracks either. I was only doing 20-25 at most before it would crap out on me, so I'm hoping to get 35-50 tracks running some decent 3rd party plugins.
Well, as mentioned, personally I'd just wait a few months and then get a 6-core i5. :)

Reactions: galactic orange

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
Well, as mentioned, personally I'd just wait a few months and then get a 6-core i5. :)
I'm going to be waiting but if there is nothing in sep/oct then I'm buying. I can't wait until 2019.

lishaoalox

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2018
I'm going to be waiting but if there is nothing in sep/oct then I'm buying. I can't wait until 2019.
Same as this.
Waiting for the new iMac but needing a laptop to handle the time I wait.
Also looking forward to the rumored new MacBook Air(or what) series.
Hope it'll have more news soon.

Reactions: Glmnet1

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
Same as this.
Waiting for the new iMac but needing a laptop to handle the time I wait.
Also looking forward to the rumored new MacBook Air(or what) series.
Hope it'll have more news soon.

Yea I'll probably look for a good refurbished i5 27" and then wait for the new ones to drop in 2019 if that happens. That way I can get going on making music again, but can still save for the more expensive newer imac which will be a long term investment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.