Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I will buy...

• New base model iPad Air 2020

Votes: 62 52.1%
  • New base model iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 57 47.9%

• Total voters

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The Pro is still a much nicer overall package with better display (Pro Motion), better audio (quad speakers), better mics, better cameras, better GPU, more RAM (probably), and unlikely the CPU performance will differ significantly in real-world use either.

With the price bump the iPad Air has received, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an iPad Pro today if I needed to buy now.

Fireblade31003

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
Guess I'm the only one that was looking for a 5g chip in the iPad today. Guess I'll be waiting till 2021.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
the Air is only really missing the cherry on top features that most won’t miss (Pro Motion, Quad speakers, Cameras and LIDAR) and depending on your preference a + or - with Touch ID rather than Face ID. Very compelling offer at the moment, so unless any of the above are dealbreakers to you I’d say that’s the one to go for unless you can get a very good price on the Pro.

Gabriel Sinay

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
Hey guys. How much importance would you say I should give to 120Hz refresh rate in the IpadPro vs the 60Hz in Ipad Air? Having in mind I am a vivid notetaker with the Apple Pencil.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I feel like Apple just turned the 2020 iPad Pro into the next iPad 3. Since they are putting the more advanced processor into a supposedly mid range iPad just 6 months after the Pro was released with an A12z then it will be underpowered for sure with Pro level apps within two years or sooner. If you’re looking for an iPad Pro I certainly wouldn’t get the 2020 models now.

Im sure we will have geekbench results next month when they are released so *possibly* other variables like lower RAM in the iPad Air will equalize performance—but I’m doubtful.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I feel like Apple just turned the 2020 iPad Pro into the next iPad 3. Since they are putting the more advanced processor into a supposedly mid range iPad just 6 months after the Pro was released with an A12z then it will be underpowered for sure with Pro level apps within two years or sooner. If you’re looking for an iPad Pro I certainly wouldn’t get the 2020 models now.

Im sure we will have geekbench results next month when they are released so *possibly* other variables like lower RAM in the iPad Air will equalize performance—but I’m doubtful.

The writing was on the wall at release that 2020 iPP was the next iPad 3, shipping with the same A12Z instead of X, 18 months later and LiDAR which I imagine most if not no one cares about.

Unlike iPad 3, which drew us in with the much desired Retina display and was met with a swift 1-2 punch when the A6x and lightning port model iPad 4 came out 6 months later. That should've been a lesson to always tread carefully on upgrade cycles.

I feel my Series 4, which is only 20% (max) behind cpu power of series 6 with same design was a wise 'investment'. And is still a leap up from the Watch SE which is a series 4 without ECG, and 'only' $129 cheaper than series 4 was at launch 2 years ago.

same with my Mini 5, though an antiquated design, has 2nd gen touchID (as fast as I presume the power button touch embedded to perform), P3 screen and A12 (what just start shipping with 10.2" models) I got in early 2019.

MaxGolden12

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2020
64 is ridiculous. I would pass on that size in any tech.

Yeah, I think 128 would appeal to a lot of people in cases where 256 is slightly overkill. Maybe it’s to avoid cannibalizing 11” iPad Pro sales as much as it could, so those who want a more powerful iPad with that amount of storage will still have to go for the Pro.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Went with 11" Pro since I need 128 GB (I would have to buy the 256GB Air). Air isn't that much cheaper considering there's the free AirPod deal for the Pro through education site and we don't know if that promotion will last until pre-order starts for the Air. Also I prefer to have the Pro Motion and 6 GB RAM (highly unlikely Air will get 6 GB).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The writing was on the wall at release that 2020 iPP was the next iPad 3, shipping with the same A12Z instead of X, 18 months later and LiDAR which I imagine most if not no one cares about.
Unfortunately true. I was ready to upgrade then but after seeing what a very minor refresh the 2020 model was compared to the 2018, I decided to wait until Apple releases something more worthwhile. Not so much future proofing but at least better bang for the buck.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Having a hard time deciding how much the A14 vs A12Z difference really matters. The A14 will almost certainly be faster in single core tasks (which is the vast majority of what you do on an iPad) just because it is based on a 2 year newer architecture. But, the current state of iPadOS doesn’t utilize either chip to anything near it’s potential. So, does it even matter? The extra RAM on the Pro might make more of a difference for everyday tasks. But we just won’t know for sure until we have them in hand and can compare.

If you can get by with 64 GB of storage, it’s really hard to recommend the 11” Pro right now. The Air is so close on almost all fronts and I don’t know if a Pro Motion screen and quad speakers are worth $200. You’ll notice I didn’t mention the camera differences because they have the same wide angle lens and I don’t think anyone cares about LIDAR. If you are like me and only need up to 128 GB of storage, then it’s a harder choice. At that point, I would probably spend the extra $50 and get the base Pro over the 256 GB Air. The A12Z will still be plenty powerful and 6 GB of RAM mean the iPad will be more than useable long into the future. If you need more than 256 GB of storage, I would probably stick with the Air.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello,

Apple today presented new iPad Air with A14 processor which design is very similar to iPad Pro.

What do you think which of them is worth buying base model iPad Air 2020 or base model iPad Pro 2020?

Considering new iPad Air :)

Awaiting your opinion.

Regards,
J.
I would still buy the 2020 iPad Pro for ProMotion single-handedly.

Reactions: Alaxlmartin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.