Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I will buy...

• New base model iPad Air 2020

Votes: 62 52.1%
  • New base model iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 57 47.9%

• Total voters

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
This is the list I'll be contemplating for a couple weeks. The 2018 Pro refurbs go quickly, but defintely add intrigue to the mix.

If there was a 128GB Air, it would be close to a slam dunk.

I'm also on the fence whether to get LTE again. Apple has been milking the pricing on that option forever.

If yes, the $809 '18 Pro 256GB refurb ticks a lot of boxes.

11” Air 4 2020

64GB = $599​
256GB = $749​

64GB LTE = $729​
256GB LTE = $879​

11” Pro 2018 Refurb

64GB = $549​
256GB = $679​
512GB = $849​

64GB LTE = $679​
256GB LTE = $809​
512GB LTE = $979​

11” Pro 2020

128GB = $799​
256GB = $899​

128GB LTE = $949​
256GB LTE = $1049​

SoYoung

macrumors 65832
Jul 3, 2015
It sucks I chose the Air, because the Pro should have the best and most powerful specs and come with color options. *I want a green or blue aluminum body on my iPad Pro.
Sorry, tangent is over. It makes more sense to get the Air 4 for value and specs. The iPad Pro has no advantage now besides ProMotion and larger screen, oh, and LiDAR sensor. Lol
iPad pro will still have more ram (that really makes a difference) and better speakers.

Ghoster

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
depends on the country you are in

Looking at Australia the difference is more than $200

The 11inch iPad Pro 2020 is $1329
Ipad Air 2020 is $ 899

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
64 is ridiculous. I would pass on that size in any tech.

This is rather subjective, though, and depends on your particular use and storage requirements. I use an iPad as my main computing device and still have 41 GB of 64 GB free. I stream the music and keep the photos and most files in the cloud. Depending on your use, you can also put any large files on the external storage and access them via that USB-C port. You may need to change your workflow to make it work, but for me it is very doable.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I can see what’s going to happen in 2021... when the new iPad Pro’s are released the iPad Airs base storage will go up to 128GB guaranteed.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Going to order the new iPad Air. What seems to be underrated and not even talked about, but which is for someone who likes design as well, that they've removed the antenna band on the upper side of the iPad. It looks seemingly now. Really nice touch.
ipad_air_2020_camera_thumb.jpg

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
iPad pro will still have more ram (that really makes a difference) and better speakers.

I would guess that Air 4 will have 4 GB of RAM, which is exactly the same as iPad Pro 2018 RAM. And there are still some people considering buying refurbished iPad Pro 2018 as a good move (specs/price ratio). We can be quite sure that Air 4 with its A14 chip will be doing just fine for the next 3-5 years for most common tasks. FYI, I am still using iPad Air 2 and, while it starts showing its age, it runs iOS 13.7 surprisingly well. And it was made in 2014 (!). ?

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I'm really bummed. I just got my 11" iPad Pro a couple of weeks ago since all the rumors said the refresh wouldn't include the IPP. Well, the rumors didn't lie, but I didn't see that iPad Air coming. I'm really bummed they put it a brand new A14 CPU and in serious doubt to return my IPP and get me an iPad Air since it will work with my magic keyboard and apple pencil 2. Hope we'll get some benchmarks real soon.
Not quite sure why? does your work involve doing lot of Pro-stuff like high end image editing, video editing or professional stuff that is also part of your earning..then I think Pro is the best way to go..Pretty sure, those apps will work better on pro than on iPad Air.

Someone rightly mentioned above - pro is for professionals
and
models like Air/original iPad is for casual users like me..Documents, browsing, gaming and streaming..

of-course, you still can't beat the new colors, they look awesome on the images I've seen on apple website.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I could personally have put up with 32gb on the iPad Air , since you can put photos and documents from the iPad to external storage like flash drives, hard drives etc

The photos app however needs them on local internal storage and many other apps don’t support external storage either. It’s nice to be able to get files into iPad from external sources but that’s really the main purpose of that solution in real life.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I'm really bummed. I just got my 11" iPad Pro a couple of weeks ago since all the rumors said the refresh wouldn't include the IPP. Well, the rumors didn't lie, but I didn't see that iPad Air coming. I'm really bummed they put it a brand new A14 CPU and in serious doubt to return my IPP and get me an iPad Air since it will work with my magic keyboard and apple pencil 2. Hope we'll get some benchmarks real soon.

I wouldn’t worry. Plenty elements in your device are a bit better. Just cause there’s a new chip in there I wouldn’t get nervous.
Enjoy what you have, with care it will serve you well for years.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It sucks I chose the Air, because the Pro should have the best and most powerful specs and come with color options. *I want a green or blue aluminum body on my iPad Pro.
Sorry, tangent is over. It makes more sense to get the Air 4 for value and specs. The iPad Pro has no advantage now besides ProMotion and larger screen, oh, and LiDAR sensor. Lol

It’s good they upgraded the Air in a meaningful way and not held it back to artificially make the pro look better I don’t need colour fanciness with a content creation work tool the Pro was designed to be.
The Pro will likely be updated in early 21 to take back the lead.

Reactions: sracer

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The 120hz screen is pretty well worth the price difference alone - really - if you were in the market for a monitor $200 would be perfectly reasonable to go from 60 to 120hz.

Also, FaceID is fantastic when using the iPad with the Magic Keyboard. Simply swipe up from the trackpad to unlock. No reaching up for TouchID. I’d never want to go back.

Reactions: fokmik

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This may seem like a stupid question so please bare with me. Now that Apple have updated the iPad Air, is the Air now the iPad for the majority? if so who is the iPad Pro for?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
This would be awesome to choose an iPad Pro over an Air 4 but I mean come on the latest gadget has changed and the Air now comes with colors! One of the biggest changes Apple has brought to us in a long time. It's been the same option for years and years but now they are making tablets for recreational use ever ready for a lifestyle choice. And with a new physical design Blue iPad Airs rock!
I mean...if all you care about is having “the latest gadget” and what color your iPad is, it seems the choice is pretty clear for you. Go pick up a blue iPad Air when they go on sale next month.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
This is the list I'll be contemplating for a couple weeks. The 2018 Pro refurbs go quickly, but defintely add intrigue to the mix.

If there was a 128GB Air, it would be close to a slam dunk.

I'm also on the fence whether to get LTE again. Apple has been milking the pricing on that option forever.

If yes, the $809 '18 Pro 256GB refurb ticks a lot of boxes.

11” Air 4 2020

64GB = $599​
256GB = $749​

64GB LTE = $729​
256GB LTE = $879​

11” Pro 2018 Refurb

64GB = $549​
256GB = $679​
512GB = $849​

64GB LTE = $679​
256GB LTE = $809​
512GB LTE = $979​

11” Pro 2020

128GB = $799​
256GB = $899​

128GB LTE = $949​
256GB LTE = $1049​
Ah yeah I forgot about the 2018 refurbs. I’d take a 2018 Pro over the Air any day of the week. Pro Motion display and quad speakers will probably have a bigger impact on your day to day use than a processor bump. Pretty much everything else is identical between the two iPads.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
The new air will cannibalize sales of the 11" iPad Pro, which I regret buying last spring. It was such an underwhelming update to the 2018 models. I can live without Pro Motion, and have no use for LIDAR.

That said, it's still a great device and has some other advantages over the new Air. So I'll keep it. But I wish I'd had this new option before I made my purchase decision.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This may seem like a stupid question so please bare with me. Now that Apple have updated the iPad Air, is the Air now the iPad for the majority? if so who is the iPad Pro for?

Like all of their "Pro" models - it's for people who want the best device that can currently be made and/or users who have an actual need for the additional capabilities of these devices.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I feel like Apple just turned the 2020 iPad Pro into the next iPad 3. Since they are putting the more advanced processor into a supposedly mid range iPad just 6 months after the Pro was released with an A12z then it will be underpowered for sure with Pro level apps within two years or sooner. If you’re looking for an iPad Pro I certainly wouldn’t get the 2020 models now.

Im sure we will have geekbench results next month when they are released so *possibly* other variables like lower RAM in the iPad Air will equalize performance—but I’m doubtful.
100% on point.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I feel like Apple just turned the 2020 iPad Pro into the next iPad 3. Since they are putting the more advanced processor into a supposedly mid range iPad just 6 months after the Pro was released with an A12z then it will be underpowered for sure with Pro level apps within two years or sooner. If you’re looking for an iPad Pro I certainly wouldn’t get the 2020 models now.

Im sure we will have geekbench results next month when they are released so *possibly* other variables like lower RAM in the iPad Air will equalize performance—but I’m doubtful.
100% on point.

I think it might be a bit of hyperbole to compare the 2020 iPad Pros to the iPad 3. The iPad 3 was underpowered right out of the gate. The A5X could barely run the Retina display smoothly and started to stutter whenever you did something that even remotely taxed the processor. It was so bad that games had to be run in less-than-retina resolution in order to have a decent frame rate.

The 2020 Pros aren’t in that boat at all. The A12X was so far advanced in 2018 that it is still a high level performer even today. Remember, Apple is using this chip to power the Apple Silicon developer Macs it has been sending out and the benchmarks have been favorable. The more proper analogy for the Pros is that the A12X was way overpowered for an iPad in 2018 and the 2020 Pros have more “caught up” to it (which is why Apple could get away with essentially reusing the chip with the A12Z). The 2020 Pros will be fine for years, especially with 6 GB of RAM. Honestly, iPadOS rather than the processor has been the limiting factor on what you can do with an iPad since about the A10X.

Reactions: Kal-037

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
very good question...now that the air went 100$ more...we can expect that the pro models to start also by 100$ more...so the smaller Pro will start from 899$
The Pro models will be the first ipads with mini-Led, so display difference will be even bigger because of the mini-led tech, promotion and 600nits display
Thats for the display
Now on the inside, Apple will go for sure for an beastly iGpu with the A14X...and if apple wants to put from 6gb Ram to 8 gb ram, apple can easily place an macOS OS...because today, you cant run macOS with 4 or 6gb ram, you need at least 8 on the ipad even the mac mini dev kit we have 16gb ram
So, it will be interesting what Apple will go with the pro...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The new air will cannibalize sales of the 11" iPad Pro, which I regret buying last spring. It was such an underwhelming update to the 2018 models. I can live without Pro Motion, and have no use for LIDAR.

That said, it's still a great device and has some other advantages over the new Air. So I'll keep it. But I wish I'd had this new option before I made my purchase decision.
I can understand that feeling. Many people are in the same boat... and you're right, just because Apple produces a new device that exceeds their current devices, that doesn't mean that the current device is suddenly a slow, stuttering mess. Apple loves that kind of hyperbole because it drives people to get rid of an otherwise stellar device and buy a new one.

The lower-end of the iPad line is where the better values are. It started back in 2018 with the 9.7" 6th gen iPad. That was the best value iPad at the time. These lower priced iPad models allows Apple raise the ceiling on the upper tier models. Watch for higher iPad Pro prices in 2021.

Reactions: raymanster

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
very good question...now that the air went 100$ more...we can expect that the pro models to start also by 100$ more...so the smaller Pro will start from 899$
The Pro models will be the first ipads with mini-Led, so display difference will be even bigger because of the mini-led tech, promotion and 600nits display
Thats for the display
Now on the inside, Apple will go for sure for an beastly iGpu with the A14X...and if apple wants to put from 6gb Ram to 8 gb ram, apple can easily place an macOS OS...because today, you cant run macOS with 4 or 6gb ram, you need at least 8 on the ipad even the mac mini dev kit we have 16gb ram
So, it will be interesting what Apple will go with the pro...

Yea the mini-LED display will be interesting, I'm still using a 2017 iPad Pro. I'm just not sure if I can wait much longer. In which case do I go iPad Pro 2020 or the Air 4.

It's also a question of what people need/want. For example I can't tell the difference with Promotion on my iPad Pro 2017 vs my 11 Pro Max iPhone. Both seem fine to me when scrolling the web or playing a game. As far the cameras go, I never take pictures with my iPad's, I never have since I have an iPhone.

The only thing I'm not sure of when thinking about getting the new Air or the Pro, is the display size. Ever since they introduced it, I have had the 12.9" iPad Pro. I could probably manage with the Air screen tho. Storage wise, I have 512GB on my current iPad Pro with 221.43 GB left.

Reactions: Falhófnir

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With the price increase on the Air, I'm actually wondering if pricing for the next gen iPad Pros will jump to $999 11" and $1199 12.9".

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
With the price increase on the Air, I'm actually wondering if pricing for the next gen iPad Pros will jump to $999 11" and $1199 12.9".
I wouldn't be surprised to see a price increase, particularly as any sales put off by it would likely then be hoovered up by the Air anyway. Having said that I expected the same with the 16" MacBook Pro and it came in at the same price!

Reactions: ejin222

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i dont see to be increased by 200$, unless is a big addons...like desktop UI and so on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.