Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I will buy...

• New base model iPad Air 2020

Votes: 62 52.1%
  • New base model iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 57 47.9%

• Total voters

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The lower-end of the iPad line is where the better values are. It started back in 2018 with the 9.7" 6th gen iPad. That was the best value iPad at the time. These lower priced iPad models allows Apple raise the ceiling on the upper tier models. Watch for higher iPad Pro prices in 2021.

Agree. That 8th gen model is by far the best value. But Apple are masters at cutting back nuanced features to make you want the higher end models. While I know this entry iPad probably meets my needs, the Air and Pro 'all-screen' sways me in that direction...despite it being almost double the price.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I was on the waiting list for a 11” pro, but I ended up cancelling it. $1100 is a lot for a device that now seems like it has dated tech. At the same time, I’m not thrilled about the idea of paying $850 for an Air that’s lacking on ram.

The poll is for base model. I wouldn’t buy a base pro. If I’m paying that much, I’m going to spend more and get exactly what I want. The air is my value buy. If I’m talking myself into one of them, it’s the base air.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yea the mini-LED display will be interesting, I'm still using a 2017 iPad Pro. I'm just not sure if I can wait much longer. In which case do I go iPad Pro 2020 or the Air 4.

It's also a question of what people need/want. For example I can't tell the difference with Promotion on my iPad Pro 2017 vs my 11 Pro Max iPhone. Both seem fine to me when scrolling the web or playing a game. As far the cameras go, I never take pictures with my iPad's, I never have since I have an iPhone.

The only thing I'm not sure of when thinking about getting the new Air or the Pro, is the display size. Ever since they introduced it, I have had the 12.9" iPad Pro. I could probably manage with the Air screen tho. Storage wise, I have 512GB on my current iPad Pro with 221.43 GB left.
Same boat with 2017 iPad Pros (512GB). I can afford to wait though. It's really more of like "I want a new toy to play with" rather than "My current device isn't working well for my use and I need to upgrade".

As for storage, you're already using 290 GB. How much of that is just fluff you can delete? Personally, if I'm already using 70+% of device capacity after removing the fluff, I'd opt for higher storage come upgrade time.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
i dont see to be increased by 200$, unless is a big addons...like desktop UI and so on
They might do it for Mini-LED and 5G. Remember, OLED used to be limited to $999+ iPhones. Actually, they technically still are until Apple releases the iPhone 12.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
This is rather subjective, though, and depends on your particular use and storage requirements. I use an iPad as my main computing device and still have 41 GB of 64 GB free. I stream the music and keep the photos and most files in the cloud. Depending on your use, you can also put any large files on the external storage and access them via that USB-C port. You may need to change your workflow to make it work, but for me it is very doable.
I am pretty sure we could all deal with it but for what we pay, its not cool. The cheapest iPad should be 64, the cheapest air 128, and the cheapest pro 256.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
As for storage, you're already using 290 GB. How much of that is just fluff you can delete? Personally, if I'm already using 70+% of device capacity after removing the fluff, I'd opt for higher storage come upgrade time.

i would say most of it is fluff to be honest, I downloaded a lot of TV shows and movies that I don’t really need on there. Apps I use Twitter, Facebook, Pages, Final Draft and LumaFusion for video editing.

I do have 50Gb iCloud storage so I often offset things to that. I don’t do a big amount with my iPad. Usually I watch YouTube videos, Netflix, browse the web, edit some HD videos in LumaFusion and use the Apple Pencil to draw and take notes.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
It's also a question of what people need/want. For example I can't tell the difference with Promotion on my iPad Pro 2017 vs my 11 Pro Max iPhone. Both seem fine to me when scrolling the web or playing a game. As far the cameras go, I never take pictures with my iPad's, I never have since I have an iPhone.
Thats why i would chose promotion to come first to the macbooks and imacs and after to iphones
The bigger display, the most obvious difference...you can try to look at no-promotion ipad with yours , and you will see the diff...iphones has, a small display for promotion...whats next ? people to ask promotion for the apple watch?
Yes, i bet promotion will come to the next year iphones...but, i prefer to the macs as well

Reactions: Dave245

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Thats why i would chose promotion to come first to imacs and after to iphones
The bigger display, the most obvious difference...you can try to look at no-promotion ipad with yours , and you will see the diff...iphones has, a small display for promotion...whats next ? people to ask promotion for the apple watch?
Yes, i bet promotion will come to the next year iphones...but, i prefer to the macs as well
Really it should make more of a difference on a smaller screen as you're scrolling a lot more; the one thing it would be particularly useful on an iMac for is gaming.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Really it should make more of a difference on a smaller screen as you're scrolling a lot more; the one thing it would be particularly useful on an iMac for is gaming.
nope...trust me, its physics...when you scroll on the imac, you scroll a lot more information vs an iphone, more immersive on the bigger display....promotion on an apple watch vs on the imac...its clear who whould win
The bigger display, the better promotion is...more information more UI smoothness

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Hello,

Apple today presented new iPad Air with A14 processor which design is very similar to iPad Pro.

What do you think which of them is worth buying base model iPad Air 2020 or base model iPad Pro 2020?

Considering new iPad Air :)

Awaiting your opinion.

Regards,
J.
If I could afford it the iPad pro would be the one to go with.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
So it seems even the new Air will be a big upgrade from my 2017 12.9” iPad Pro. To be expected I guess since it’s 3 years old.
IMG_0489.jpeg

Reactions: rui no onna

Turtle69Turtle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
I’m still super torn on what to get .

im not a content creator ,so I thought the air would be the way, but 64 GBs just isn’t enough for me I think . I’m just going to be using it for browsing , gaming and videos . Can someone help me out ?

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
or go for a 2018 iPad Pro which is pretty close to the 2020, and probably solid savings by now.

or iPad mini 5, who the heck knows what the 'prosumer' is doing or thinking to your point

--

I cant imagine people that 'need' 256GB Air, decide 'oh the one with a fourth storage that has the pro naming convention, is the way to go for just a little more' they might then think 'the base model is fine, I'm not ponying up any more.' Doesn't seem like a logical leap

I don't think someone looking at an Air/Pro is in the same demographic looking at an iPad 8 or mini. That's why I said prosumer. Or maybe techie works too. This price dilemma is for a specific customer:
- wants all screen iPad
- 128gb at least
- assuming they own an old iPad, in the Air demographic and itching to upgrade, willing to spend $500

And these are the choices they have, all upsells within striking distance:
- 256gb iPad air: $750
- 128gb iPad pro 2020: $800
- 256gb iPad Pro 2018 refurbished: $680 (link) [$550 for 64gb also! Another price dilemma here for those fine with 64 lol]

Last edited:

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Going to order the new iPad Air. What seems to be underrated and not even talked about, but which is for someone who likes design as well, that they've removed the antenna band on the upper side of the iPad. It looks seemingly now. Really nice touch.
ipad_air_2020_camera_thumb.jpg

mmmm... I don’t think they have...

Attachments

• 9AF50A1B-C0B0-43A6-A948-59B857BA6804.jpeg
    9AF50A1B-C0B0-43A6-A948-59B857BA6804.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 270

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Although I'm content with my Air 3, I am intrigued by the Air 4. I downgraded from a 2018 11" IPP to the Air 3 since I primarily only stream, web browse, read, and message on my iPad. I definitely like the the all screen display of the Air 4, but not a fan of the price increase (though I'd obviously sell my Air 3 to offset the cost).

For now, I'll probably hold on to my Air 3. Once I see Apple have Air 4 models in their refurb store, I'll revisit.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Do you recommend 64GB or 255 GB Air?

I recommend you buy what you need. What do you need? Nobody else but you knows!

Personally, I need more than 64GB. If you read Macrumors for a bit, you’ll find plenty of people for each storage size tier, I promise.

If you tell people what your use case is, what device and storage you currently have etc maybe that would allow folks to give a better guess at what you should purchase.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
I recommend you buy what you need. What do you need? Nobody else but you knows!

Personally, I need more than 64GB. If you read Macrumors for a bit, you’ll find plenty of people for each storage size tier, I promise.

If you tell people what your use case is, what device and storage you currently have etc maybe that would allow folks to give a better guess at what you should purchase.

I will use it for Video streamings, web browsing, Movie watching, Music, Apple TV+, Netflix, some games probably.

What do you recommend then? I will probably go for new magic keyboard for it.

What date do you suspect for iPad Air to be released?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.