Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't hate the design but it's kinda boring. I was hoping for a matte black color or maybe fun colors like the iPhone XR.

Either that or replicating the shiny stainless steel on some of the iPhones or Apple Watch.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
I think its so you can still attach the pencil. I generally take really good care anyway so not too worried, plus I think it looks cool.
[doublepost=1540926094][/doublepost]

The smart folio?
That would be correct. The new pencil charges by attaching to the side of the iPad so it needs to be open. I mean, new modern rounded design of the current iPhones would've looked nice on the iPad, but the current design choice brings back the classic look with a modern take of slim profile + slim bezels -- I think it's perfect. It's a professional and clean look.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That would be correct. The new pencil charges by attaching to the side of the iPad so it needs to be open. I mean, new modern rounded design of the current iPhones would've looked nice on the iPad, but the current design choice brings back the classic look with a modern take of slim profile + slim bezels -- I think it's perfect. It's a professional and clean look.

I agree, very professional and industrial look. I like it a lot.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I'm probably on my own here, but I would have preferred something that was literally a larger iPhone X/XS. I like the rounded edges of the X/XS, I prefer the OLED screen (yes, I know it's expensive - an option would have been nice), and I like the glass back. I've never dropped an iphone or an iPad, and I think it would have negated the need for the really ugly cellular lines on the back.

I don't hate the new design, but I think it could have been nicer.

Reactions: loybond

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
in the presentation it did look somewhat dull/ bland, but i expect it will probably look sleeker and shinier in person!

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
The functionality is great with the pencil. They basically got the inspiration* from Microsoft.
Most people will scuff at us but not everyone who is a "pro" loves gray and dark gray finishes... I prefer the aesthetics of the previous versions. It was a lot more feminine too. I am sure this is a non issue for most people......

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I think it's basically a compromise for being able to decrease the bezels and keep battery life up at the same time. I would have rather had it be a few millimeters thicker with better battery and pill shaped edges, but Apple still seems obsessed with making things ridiculously thin, even if it seems to cause compromises on other design aspects (why?)
That's simply not true. Look at the latest iPhones, many of which are thicker and heavier than their predecessors. A portable device like a tablet that's already unwieldy size, needs to be thin and light. When they reduced the weight from the iPad 4 to the iPad Air. it became a much more comfortable form factor to hold and use.

Reactions: AlexJoda

BenjaminRF

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2018
I tend to agree. I was actually a bit disappointed with how large the bezels were, too. I like the chamfered edges, but they were also a fragile pain in the ass that got very noticeable nicks at the drop of a hat. Overall, the design to me just doesn't look like something I'd pay $800 for.
Couldn’t agree more, the bezels could be loads smaller than what they are!

Reactions: Tapiture

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
The flat edges are probably for the pencil to have enough surface area to have a good magnetic bond without it easily falling off when you set the iPad down or brush it against something.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
That's simply not true. Look at the latest iPhones, many of which are thicker and heavier than their predecessors. A portable device like a tablet that's already unwieldy size, needs to be thin and light. When they reduced the weight from the iPad 4 to the iPad Air. it became a much more comfortable form factor to hold and use.
Whether or not they do it with the phones is not a concern of mine in this context. They do it with laptops to a fault, causing thermal issues. They’ve been making iPads thinner which up to this point I’ve been okay with. But when they start making compromises in the name of making it thin, they’ve reached the point of diminishing returns.

Reactions: rui no onna

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Yeah a blown up xs would have been beautiful.

I'm probably on my own here, but I would have preferred something that was literally a larger iPhone X/XS. I like the rounded edges of the X/XS, I prefer the OLED screen (yes, I know it's expensive - an option would have been nice), and I like the glass back. I've never dropped an iphone or an iPad, and I think it would have negated the need for the really ugly cellular lines on the back.

I don't hate the new design, but I think it could have been nicer.
[doublepost=1540931714][/doublepost]I was a bit disappointed with the bezels too

Couldn’t agree more, the bezels could be loads smaller than what they are!
[doublepost=1540931804][/doublepost]Can you imagine a gold stainless steel colourway?!

The functionality is great with the pencil. They basically got the inspiration* from Microsoft.
Most people will scuff at us but not everyone who is a "pro" loves gray and dark gray finishes... I prefer the aesthetics of the previous versions. It was a lot more feminine too. I am sure this is a non issue for most people......

Reactions: frou

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Whether or not they do it with the phones is not a concern of mine in this context. They do it with laptops to a fault, causing thermal issues. They’ve been making iPads thinner which up to this point I’ve been okay with. But when they start making compromises in the name of making it thin, they’ve reached the point of diminishing returns.
Whether or not? The new iPhones are some of the heaviest and thickest phones Apple has ever made. This is not a subjective opinion up for debate, it is a fact. The iPhones have been increasing in size and weight since the iPhone 7 in accordance with the stats posted directly on the Apple site.

OLED screens with a glass back on an iPad would be priced astronomically to both buy and fix. Not to mention, I'd wager a strong bet that the majority of iPad's purchased are the non-LTE models. Especially in a day and age when phone tethering is extremely easy and inexpensive. That's the compromise made to keep the cost margins down. It has nothing to do with diminishing returns for thinness.

Reactions: cornerexit

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Whether or not? The new iPhones are some of the heaviest and thickest phones Apple has ever made. This is not a subjective opinion up for debate, it is a fact.

OLED screens with a glass back on an iPad would be priced astronomically to both buy and fix. Not to mention, I'd wager a strong bet that the majority of iPad's purchased are the non-LTE models. Especially in a day and age when phone tethering is extremely easy and inexpensive. That's the compromise made to keep the cost margins down. It has nothing to do with diminishing returns for thinness.
You lost me in the second paragraph. Apple isn’t required to make every device thinner and thinner unless they add OLED/glass back. They COULD keep it the same thickness and tack on some battery life and keep some nice curved edges whilst keeping the aluminum body and LCD screen.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
You lost me in the second paragraph. Apple isn’t required to make every device thinner and thinner unless they add OLED/glass back. They COULD keep it the same thickness and tack on some battery life and keep some nice curved edges whilst keeping the aluminum body and LCD screen.
No one said they were required to make devices thinner. You invented that.

I still don't see where they've compromised on functionality of the iPad to make it thinner, save for maybe the audio jack. The iPad will never have a glass back, much in the same way a notebook never will either. OLED is only a matter of time. Your personal design wishes don't necessarily make the iPad a better product for the whole.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
No one said they were required to make devices thinner. You invented that.

I still don't see where they've compromised on functionality of the iPad to make it thinner, save for maybe the audio jack. The iPad will never have a glass back, much in the same way a notebook never will either. OLED is only a matter of time. Your personal design wishes don't necessarily make the iPad a better product for the whole.
I was saying they shouldn’t be required to make them thinner. I’m saying they should be allowed to make things thicker or remain the same thickness in order to improve battery life. Up to now they’ve never done that. They’ve only allowed themselves to make a device thicker if it is adding OLED and glass body.

Basically I disagree with their priorities. I prioritize 3 hours more battery life over 2mm thinner. And as they get thinner and thinner, I feel like they make more compromises for each millimeter lost.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
The flat edges are probably for the pencil to have enough surface area to have a good magnetic bond without it easily falling off when you set the iPad down or brush it against something.

Yeah . . the two things that make me go Hmmm about the new design is that pencil attachment design and the full coverage smart cover/keyboard designs. In concept they look great but the moment one reaches for their 3rd gen IPP and realizes their $130 pencil is missing because it fell off is going to be horrific. Similarly, the traditional soft touch finishes of smart covers/keyboards are prone to wear/discoloration and yet now we're looking at even more expensive covers with the same type of finish.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Why do people think OLED would be that expensive? Samsung has multiple tablets with OLED screens (and glass backs) at lower prices, and would be the likely supplier for such a screen. At the numbers Apple needs, cost should not be prohibitive. Even a 55" OLED TV isn't much more expensive than these devices, and that has far higher shipping, storage and fulfilment costs.

They're just holding back so they have a planned road ahead for updates.

Reactions: jamesrick80

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
Well one negative for me is that I don't think I can use my Logitech charging stand anymore due to the change in the smart connector.

Reactions: SidBoggle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.