Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Why do people think OLED would be that expensive? Samsung has multiple tablets with OLED screens (and glass backs) at lower prices, and would be the likely supplier for such a screen. At the numbers Apple needs, cost should not be prohibitive. Even a 55" OLED TV isn't much more expensive than these devices, and that has far higher shipping, storage and fulfilment costs.

They're just holding back so they have a planned road ahead for updates.
Kinda feel like that’d why they left on an extra 1/4 inch of bezel too. Next update will be OLED with shrunken bezels so, guess what? You have to buy a new Smart Keyboard again! Mwahaha!

Reactions: loybond

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’m assuming the new chassis design is to support the Pencil magnetically attaching to the device? Seems like an OK compromise to me.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I’m assuming the new chassis design is to support the Pencil magnetically attaching to the device? Seems like an OK compromise to me.
If that's the case I'm OK with it. But I still think they could have kept the few millimeters and improved battery life a bit.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Kind of reminds me of the “candy bar” iPhones with the sides and edges. New, but retro at the same time.

As long as it will be comfortable to hold for long periods, I’m fine with the design.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If that's the case I'm OK with it. But I still think they could have kept the few millimeters and improved battery life a bit.
Seems like Apple has settled on 9-10 hours battery life as the target. The hands on videos I’ve seem say the 12.9” definitely feels lighter than it’s predecesor. I’ll take that trade off. I’m rarely without power long enough that battery life is a concern.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I was saying they shouldn’t be required to make them thinner. I’m saying they should be allowed to make things thicker or remain the same thickness in order to improve battery life. Up to now they’ve never done that. They’ve only allowed themselves to make a device thicker if it is adding OLED and glass body.

Basically I disagree with their priorities. I prioritize 3 hours more battery life over 2mm thinner. And as they get thinner and thinner, I feel like they make more compromises for each millimeter lost.
There is no requirement for making products thinner Apple is not required to do anything, they can do whatever they want. There are no restrictions or requirements, only the ones you seem to keep imposing on the company for whatever reason.

The iPhone 7 is thicker and heavier thicker than the iPhone 6, and neither have OLED or a glass body. Just stop making sweeping broad generalizations, you are factually incorrect on ALL fronts.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I like it. From an industrial design perspective I think the reason Apple had rounded the corners was to make it look thinner than it actually was. Now it's actually just really thin without needing to hide anything.

Looks a little like the first iPad again. The second iPad afterwards was praised for it's new more elegant slimmer design....
Yeah it does. I still have mine. I am kind of kicking myself for not ordering the silver now. I didn't think about the fact that the silver one is black on the front again.
I really like it, looks very modern and industrial to me. I purchased the smart cover folio for the 11 inch, which covers the front and back using magnets. Looks very slick to me, without much bulk.

MRX72_AV4
I bought the same but wish i had gotten the silver now. Oh well. I just hope that camera bump doesn't extend past the back of that case. I hate wobble and don't want to scratch up the camera, even though I don't use it much.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I like it. From an industrial design perspective I think the reason Apple had rounded the corners was to make it look thinner than it actually was. Now it's actually just really thin without needing to hide anything.

Yeah it does. I still have mine. I am kind of kicking myself for not ordering the silver now. I didn't think about the fact that the silver one is black on the front again.

I bought the same but wish i had gotten the silver now. Oh well. I just hope that camera bump doesn't extend past the back of that case. I hate wobble and don't want to scratch up the camera, even though I don't use it much.

I like the dark better and I think it will look really good with the charcoal folio. Yea, no way that camera bump sticks out. I think we'll be happy.

Reactions: macduke

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
There is no requirement for making products thinner Apple is not required to do anything, they can do whatever they want. There are no restrictions or requirements, only the ones you seem to keep imposing on the company for whatever reason.

The iPhone 7 is thicker and heavier thicker than the iPhone 6, and neither have OLED or a glass body. Just stop making sweeping broad generalizations, you are factually incorrect on ALL fronts.
You keep misinterpreting what I’m saying. I’m saying APPLE imposes those restrictions on themselves, and I think they should stop doing that. You keep bringing up iPhones and I’m talking about iPads and Macs. Although I didn’t know that about iPhone 7, that would poke a hole in my assumption that they were dedicated to making things thinner and lighter until OLED

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I like the dark better and I think it will look really good with the charcoal folio. Yea, no way that camera bump sticks out. I think we'll be happy.
Yeah I suppose space gray isn't acutally that dark. Well, it depends on the device and given year, but still it's usually not very dark on iPad.

Reason I'm worried about the bump is because it's quite the bump this time since it's so thin and that case looks pretty thin. Hard to tell from the photo. Maybe I'll go try to find a hands-on photo.

Edit: Found one. Might be the keyboard case, but the back should be the same? Looks like we're good. Also it looks like it extends past the sides a little more than I thought. Seems like it should be fairly protected from most drops.

ipadprosOct2018_5705.jpg

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I suppose space gray isn't acutally that dark. Well, it depends on the device and given year, but still it's usually not very dark on iPad.

Reason I'm worried about the bump is because it's quite the bump this time since it's so thin and that case looks pretty thin. Hard to tell from the photo. Maybe I'll go try to find a hands-on photo.

Edit: Found one. Might be the keyboard case, but the back should be the same? Looks like we're good. Also it looks like it extends past the sides a little more than I thought. Seems like it should be fairly protected from most drops.

View attachment 799989

I saw the same picture. I couldn't tell if it was the keyboard case or not. I think we'll be good - I really only want it because I don't like placing the back on a flat surface without some sort of protection, not really for drops. I don't think the bump will be a problem at all though, that would be a fairly large oversight on Apple's part.

Reactions: macduke

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
You keep misinterpreting what I’m saying. I’m saying APPLE imposes those restrictions on themselves, and I think they should stop doing that. You keep bringing up iPhones and I’m talking about iPads and Macs. Although I didn’t know that about iPhone 7, that would poke a hole in my assumption that they were dedicated to making things thinner and lighter until OLED
I'm not misinterpreting anything. I'm telling you that you don't objectively know that, nor can you prove it.. You don't work for Apple, you aren't having conversations with Ive and Cook, so how do you know what their requirements are or aren't or if they have any in place? You're inventing them based on your personal perception of the products they've released. And I'm giving you factual evidence that directly negates your argument. Apple has shown time and time again, they WILL go against thinness. Then you move the goalposts by stating Apple only goes against thinnest when putting in OLED or glass screens, which again is not true. If you're going to suggest something, back it up. Until then, your opinion is just conjecture and you shouldn't pass it off as fact.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I LOVE it. Almost more than the iPhone X look. Everything is rounded this, curved that. Time to bring back the good ol' boxy look.

Reactions: MacFather

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
ipadprosoct2018_5705-jpg.799989

I can't help but wish for something on the folio that would secure the pencil to the ipad better than just the magnets. The tip of the pencil is just floating out there as a snag point waiting for something to slip in between and rip the pencil off without one knowing. I've lost one pencil already just by forgetting it and now that I've been using a sleeve attached to my ipad I'd prefer it if there was a more physical attachment rather than just magnetic.

I'm not a fan of the light color soft touch finish on Apple's smart covers as it is, now the whole darned thing is covered in the stuff . . UGH. Just give it to me in black leather please so that the finish is less prone to oil accumulation and scuffing. I didn't mind as much when prices for Apple's covers were lower but with the price increases I'm now looking forward to third party folios.

Reactions: sonicrobby

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
It kinda looks like a surface from the profile view. I initally thought It wasn't great but when you disect the design choices I understand why they've done it. The edges, for example, have to be flat (as well as the pencil) in order to attach and charge it properly. Additonally they are able to maximize interior space by not curving it.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Although I haven’t held one yet, I dig the new design with the flat sides aesthetically. True, the old curved edges felt comfortable, but the new flat edges make functional sense too as it gives the new Apple Pencil a flat surface to stick to. The border some are complaining about for being too big seem just right to me.

My only decision is which size to go with.

Oh...I heard that only the 1 TB models will get 6 gigs of ram while all the rest get 4 gigs

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Apart from the still largish bezels which actually seem to be thicker on the left and right side, I find it odd that the screen doesn't exactly follow the curves of the body. Either they should have pushed it out further and matched the curve, or left it as a rectangle.

This is probably a difference for the sake of marketing a new model and charging more for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.