Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I've been hoping to replace my aging Mac Mini Server from 2012 for some time (really, an SSD would do wonders for it alone, I'm sure as hard drive operations are the only part that feels a bit "slow" at times (a quad i7 from 2012 really isn't terrible in 2018, oddly enough).

The new one looks good until I see the price of replacing my existing one with similar (albeit updated specs). For example, I paid $1100 for the one I have with a quad-i7, 8GB Ram and 2TB RAID 0. For 2012, this was nearly maxed out, I believe. $1100 was quite reasonable, IMO. To get the 6-core i7 with 16GB of Ram and a 2TB SSD, I'm looking at $2899 (a nearly even $3K with 10-Gigabit Ethernet) (take $200 off for only 8GB ram if you want a more even comparison). That's about 3x as much for mostly updated specs (16GB Ram is the new real minimum, IMO) and a modern hard drive instead of a rust drive (same storage, not more). After 18 years, it's about time they updated Gigabit to 10-gigabit (my WiFi is faster at close range now than regular Gigabit).

So while it's a nice computer, it's priced closer to what "used to be" the old Cheese Grater Mac Pro prices, only without all the expandability and upgradeability it came with. That questions in my mind what this new Mac Pro that's supposed to be expandable is going to cost.... (through the stratosphere, I imagine). And there's still the fact that even at $3000, this thing still basically has crap graphics compared to a PC with some gaming specs at a much lower price (you'd probably need to dual boot with Windows 10 to play games as gaming support has gotten a LOT WORSE the past 3-4 years since "Metal" was introduced as most companies don't want to bother to rewrite massive libraries of code for a handful of Mac gamers. And just when Steam was offering a LOT of gaming choices back in 2012-2014 for the Mac...a waste really).

Basically, it would need the external Thunderbolt III graphics card to make it even "decent" for PC gaming (in Windows really). So keep on adding to that $3000 price.... (e.g. $600 for a Sonnet Puck using the one card we know Apple supports fully). You're now pushing close to $4000 for a Mac Mini.... WOW. JUST WOW! And you wonder why people say Macs are overpriced. My god....

(And yes I have external storage connected already has well to the tune of 10TB so don't talk to me about the internal drive space; you need fast storage for things like apps and games, not rust speeds; RAID 0 made rust tolerable and OS X was much more tolerant of the rotators back in 2012 than it is now, IMO)

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
From the specs:

Memory
Mac mini comes as standard with 8GB of high-performance memory running at 2666MHz speeds, and can be expanded to 64GB of Double Data Rate 4 (DDR4) synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). The more memory your Mac mini has, the more apps you can run simultaneously and the better they will perform. If you’re planning to run multiple pro applications simultaneously, it’s a good idea to max out your memory.

Storage
Note: Mac mini storage is not user accessible. If you think you may need more storage capacity in the future, consider upgrading at the time of purchase.

(Emphasis mine.) So RAM is expandable, storage is not.

auxsend

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Rock solid update. Allows for user swappable memory - so buy with 8 GB - bump the proc up, and grab the external GPU if you need it.

This is a very capable little desktop. The wait for this was incredibly frustrating - because they would've ended up here anyways had they kept the thing updated in the intervening 4 years. But still, they clearly thought it out, and I'd say it's balanced for it's target market pretty close to perfect.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Rock solid update. Allows for user swappable memory - so buy with 8 GB - bump the proc up, and grab the external GPU if you need it.

This is a very capable little desktop. The wait for this was incredibly frustrating - because they would've ended up here anyways had they kept the thing updated in the intervening 4 years. But still, they clearly thought it out, and I'd say it's balanced for it's target market pretty close to perfect.

Not even close. The pricing is outrageous. Period. I want one but that pricing is sickening.

Marhowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Prague
anyone got a snapshot of the rear to post quickly?

i am stunned at the specs.

64gb ram possibily? is there even a ram bar with 32gigs? this is me assuming that there are two slots. are there?

Got it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 15.29.21 (2).png

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Wow, was not expecting this. So does this mean 10.15 won't support my 2014 mini anymore?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Just ordered mine.

3.2 6-core i7
16GB memory
512GB storage
10Gb NIC

$1799

Be here Wednesday. My first new Mac since 2009 (not counting work supplied laptops).
Out of curiosity, what display are you pairing with it?

As a 5K iMac owner I couldn't go back to anything less. So the cost for me to upgrade my main desktop setup would be $1599 for the Mac mini + $1299 for an LG 5K Display + somewhere around $400 for a dedicated GPU with enclosure + $288 for 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM - about $3,588 before tax. And I don't need an upgrade that badly. :)

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Mac mini i3 8GB/256GB + LG 4k is about the same price and processor performance as the 2017 iMac i5-7500 with 8GB/256GB, BUT that iMac has 4GB VRAM dGPU whereas the Mac Mini only has UHD 630 ...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well, that’s me out. Was looking to upgrade the mini. Not going to. At least it helps me save for the next model. Anyone who buys a mini at this price...

dafodeu

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2016
Is it worth it to upgrade the Ethernet to 10 Gigabit for $100? Does xfinity internet even offer these speeds? What would be the use case for faster Ethernet? Worth it to future proof?

auxsend

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Is it worth it to upgrade the Ethernet to 10 Gigabit for $100? Does xfinity internet even offer these speeds? What would be the use case for faster Ethernet? Worth it to future proof?

THe 10GB nic update is more for datacenter applications. It won't offer any sort of upgrade for internet speeds.

Reactions: dafodeu

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The main reason to opt for 10Gb Ethernet now would be for data transfers within a network or enterprise server applications, and it only makes a difference if the cables and switch support it (the vast majority of home network switches / routers do not). ISPs may offer 10Gb speeds in the future but it's only possible with fiber optic connections.

Reactions: dafodeu

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
From the specs:

Memory
Mac mini comes as standard with 8GB of high-performance memory running at 2666MHz speeds, and can be expanded to 64GB of Double Data Rate 4 (DDR4) synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). The more memory your Mac mini has, the more apps you can run simultaneously and the better they will perform. If you’re planning to run multiple pro applications simultaneously, it’s a good idea to max out your memory.

Storage
Note: Mac mini storage is not user accessible. If you think you may need more storage capacity in the future, consider upgrading at the time of purchase.

(Emphasis mine.) So RAM is expandable, storage is not.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it wont void the warranty if we open it though. I guess ill have to call apple support...

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
The base models will sell like hotcakes to businesses who want to roll over from Windows to MacOS (our company did with 2014 minis).

Reactions: SackJabbit

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
At least they have Finally updated the darn thing! :)

So, here's what it can do

- Up to 6-Core. 4-core as minimal configuration.
- Up to 64GB of Ram that you can upgrade yourself if you buy the base 8GB model. Not soldered to the Logicboard by Apple!
- 2TB SSD
- 4 Thunderbolt ports and 10Gb Ethernet

However. USD 799 is quite a steep starting price considering in the past they would start between 500 - 650

View attachment 799455

This looks interesting, almost satisfied, would like to get to 128 or 256 GB Ram -- I max out 64 on my MP right now. Perhaps 128 will be possible in the not-too-distant future with custom Ram from owc or something. Also, great to keep the 3.5 jack, but why not put it on the front where you'd actually much more easily plug in your headphones?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
$799 is actually better than I expected. Older Mac mini with 128 GB was about the same price, but with non-upgradable RAM.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I've currently got a 2014 MacBook Pro (15") that I'm using as a desktop connected to three monitors. Am I correct that I could swap the MacBook Pro for the new Mac Mini without any problem (in terms of number and type of inputs, etc.)? Right now I have one monitor connected via HDMI and two via displayport. None of them are even retina displays.

Also, I hope I would see something of an increase in performance with the new Mini relative to my 4-year-old machine, but I'm not really up to date on how the specs compare. Anyone have any input?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.